Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 04:57

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Caught by camera
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 17:20 
New User
New User

I was caught on a speed camera on 7 Dec at 06.36 hours. I was driving a 7.5 tonne vehicle (non HGV) on the A9 southbound at Bankfoot, Perthshire.

I have tried to find out if there is a history of accidents on the straight stretch of road there, but found nothing. This camera is not mounted near the junction, it is about half to 1 mile away on a straight piece of road (one of the very few safe overtaking points).

My speed according to the GATSO camera there was 60 (speed limit of 50 for that vehicle) the road is national speed limit of 60MPH.

I had just overtaken an artic doing about 40MPH and didnt get my speed back down quickly enough, there was another car behind me and slowing too quickly may have put the other driver in danger, leaving them less space to manouvre.

I drive this road often, (I do a 3 week shift rotation and drive this road for the whole week every 3 weeks) and have been through this camera (location 315 Inverness to Perth Road (A9) nr to bankfoot B867) at 60MPH before and it has not flashed after overtaking.

I followed an artic through the camera this morning, as I have done many times at 50MPH (speed limit for the class is 40MPH) and they get away with it. I feel a bit annoyed, that artics are allowed to go over the limit, even doing 56MPH in 40 zone and never get pulled up.

Is this a defendable one, or am I doomed to get points and £60 fine?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 23:19 
User

Sadly, although I sympathise with your cause - you're almost certainly doomed :(

Profile Send private message