Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 19:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 20:09 
User

Aachen Evening News (picked up somewhere on our recent
travels ... :lol: The twins headed up North with our eldest to catch the North Sea ferry whilst we headed for Calais/Dover to drop off some other relatives in the South.). The area is a haven for cyclists by the way.. all the major cycling routes across Germany converge here.

Anyway per the paper .. a cycling commuter called Helga finds herself being "intimidated by drivers turning into the multi-storey by the local Galeria-Kaufhof shopping mall.

Helga in the Aachener Zeitung wrote:

Drivers just do not seem to notice me

Sound familiar? :wink:

The German CTC equivalent (Allgemeine Deutsche Farhrrad-Club - ADFC) seems to agree and has done something about it :lol: (ADAC is the AA version :wink: )

They have laid down a red carpet at the entrance and exit to the car park

ADFC spokeswoman wrote:

We want to bring people's attention to the potential danger. Because of the road layout, cyclists approach this entrance and exit to the car park from a blind bend to reach the very same cycle path which the ADFC have highlighted ( i.e. with their red carpet :wink: ) . Motorists just cannot see the cyclists approaching and the situation then becomes dangerous.

How different from the British version though - who seem to see "anti-cycling and blame the drivers for everything. :wink:

(Just to show not mistranslated this .. though really should have got Wildy to type and post - this is the German bit of what I just typed above. :wink:

Quote:
Laut Verkehrplanung sollen Radfahrer, die aus der Schildstrasse kommen, die Parkhausein-und ausfahrt in grossen Bogen umfahren. Genau diesen Weg verdeutlicht der vom Verein verlegte Radweg. Viele Autofahrer rechen nicht mit Radfahrern, so dass schnell gefahrliche Situationen entstehen.

Vocab so that you can see how the translation applies back to the original :wink: I learned German when I married Wildy .. a case of "needs must" :roll:

Not translated literally word for word - but tweeked so that the same gist but in a more fluid English as would no doubt appear in a UK paper.

Verkehr =traffic

Radfahrer - cyclist

Einfahrt /ausfahrt - entrance/exit

Bogen - bend
genau - exactly

verdeutlichen - clarify /highlight
verlegen - (here "to lay")

Autofahrer - driver
#
gefahrlich - dangerous.

[...]
The paper has a photo showing cyclists riding along this red carpet. I wonder if the drivers will notice the carpet which they laid to symbolise the danger to the driver entering and exiting the car park.

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Profile Send private message