It is currently Thu Aug 13, 2020 18:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 01:29 
User

oooh! Takes a brave editor to post this one up in a cycling rag! :lol:

Chap writes that he started cycling in the 50s. and

Quote:

It made good sense to say hello to every cyclist you passed

Ah.. the good old days.. when we stood to attention for the teacher, the policeman, and just generally respected each other without sinking to petty abuse over trivialities.

Quote:

IO have noted recently that many cyclists - especially lone ones - just blank me when I say hello. I also had one cyclist who I had passed and said hello to.. sit on my wheel for a couple of miles without even asking me or even attempting to overtake me.

So.. :scratchchin: cyclists tailgate each other as well.. :yikes: I htink I would have behaved as in the car.. made contact again and ease off to let him pass. Perhaps though.. one of them muppets who just did not like a older geezer overtaking him... :roll:

Quote:

Are we cyclists in danger of becoming as bad mannered as some of those drivers we despise?

Yes. Some are atrociously rude. Attitudes when pulled for no lights ...pavement riding, RLJ ( oddly enough - we do have a littel word when we see this.. and - cough - discretion is always used ) are certainly more aggressive overall than the drivers we pull - according to our lads and lasses out there :roll:

Quote:

Are there any rules of etiquette left with regard to cycling?

Are there any rules of etiquette left with regard to anything? Petty vulgarity, rudeness, aggression.. pompous self importance and righteousness .. seem to be the norm - especailly amongst those with zero personalities who want power and unfortunately - the only way they can weild it is by being rude and vicious. Such types are usually cowards.

Rules of etiquette.. good manners. Sooner we get back to the values of saying "hello, please and thank you" - perhaps we may just return to the gentle manners, negotiating and sharing the roads out there more safely - and exchanging opinions without abuse creeping in to otherwise healthy debate :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 01:38 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Gear wrote:
So.. :scratchchin: cyclists tailgate each other as well.. :yikes: I htink I would have behaved as in the car.. made contact again and ease off to let him pass. Perhaps though.. one of them muppets who just did not like a older geezer overtaking him... :roll:

just someone being lazy and getting a tow.

In Gear wrote:
Are we cyclists in danger of becoming as bad mannered as some of those drivers we despise?

I'd say cyclists are the ones who acknowledge each other and stop at lights. The rest are just people who happen to be riding bikes.

Quote:

yes there are, unfortunately the "bmx" bandits don't seem to have learnt them.

Are people who ride mountain bikes in town the cycling equivalent of the urban cowboys in their 4x4s?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 02:03 
User

johnsher wrote:
In Gear wrote:

just someone being lazy and getting a tow.

Can be irritating.

john wrote:
]
In Gear wrote:

I'd say cyclists are the ones who acknowledge each other and stop at lights. The rest are just people who happen to be riding bikes.

Ah.. a bit like the courteous driver The rest are complete muppets! :lol: "Everyone out there's an idiot.. except me of course :lol:" Only my Dad told me that I was also one of the idiots as well perhaps to another idiot. :roll:

johnsher wrote:
Quote:

yes there are, unfortunately the "bmx" bandits don't seem to have learnt them.

Are people who ride mountain bikes in town the cycling equivalent of the urban cowboys in their 4x4s?

Yep.. I'd say so. Mountain bikes in towns :roll:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 03:06 
User

Quote:
Yep.. I'd say so. Mountain bikes in towns Rolling Eyes

Living where I do, I'd think....
"Lives on the mountain, and just come into town for a paper! :lol:
Or maybe he knows about the state of the roads in our town? 8-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:57 
User

Quote:

Living where I do, I'd think....
"Lives on the mountain, and just come into town for a paper! :lol:

ooops! :oops: :lol: Our youngest likes being in the trailer pulled by the mountain bike :rotfl: She grizzles if Wildy fixes it to the twee shopping one :rotfl:with the wicker basket and the mudguards.

Quote:
Or maybe he knows about the state of the roads in our town?

:yesyes: :wink: :P

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 19:33 
User

I think cyclists are worse behaved than motorists. As a cyclist I find myself giving fellow cyclists a piece of my mind when they don't use cycle lanes and clog up roads, when they jump red lights and take up excessive road space. I think a large majority of cyclists are arrogant bastards who think they are god's gift and don't give a stuff aboutother road users. I am ashamed to be a cyclist as it puts me in the same class as these idiots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:49 

sotonsteve wrote:
I think cyclists are worse behaved than motorists. As a cyclist I find myself giving fellow cyclists a piece of my mind when they don't use cycle lanes and clog up roads, when they jump red lights and take up excessive road space. I think a large majority of cyclists are arrogant bastards who think they are god's gift and don't give a stuff aboutother road users. I am ashamed to be a cyclist as it puts me in the same class as these idiots.

Cyclists do not have to use cycle lanes. Just as buses do not have to use bus lanes.

Many cycle lanes are inappropriate for use.

What do you mean by excessive road space? Do you mean they are not riding in the gutter?

Cyclists should allow faster vehicles to overtake if conditions allow. If conditions do not allow they should not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 14:03 
User

Earl Purple wrote:
sotonsteve wrote:

Cyclists do not have to use cycle lanes. Just as buses do not have to use bus lanes.

Cyclists may not have to use cycle lanes, but it isn't courteous to ignore them, and at times can be dangerous, such as cycling along a three-lane 50mph expressway when there is an excellent parallel cycleway.

I stand by my comments. I am a keen cyclist myself, but that doesn't stop me from hating the other w*****s .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 14:11 
User

sotonsteve wrote:
Cyclists may not have to use cycle lanes, but it isn't courteous to ignore them, and at times can be dangerous,

athough just like driving.... there are several things higher up my priority list than courtesy..... and among them is safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 22:15 
User

sotonsteve wrote:
Cyclists may not have to use cycle lanes, but it isn't courteous to ignore them, and at times can be dangerous, such as cycling along a three-lane 50mph expressway when there is an excellent parallel cycleway.

I don't know where there is a three lane urban expressway (I assume it's not a motorway or trunk road), but three lanes sounds like it is easy for cars to overtake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 08:35 
User

nicycle wrote:
sotonsteve wrote:

I don't know where there is a three lane urban expressway (I assume it's not a motorway or trunk road), but three lanes sounds like it is easy for cars to overtake.

A14 spring to mind.. in theory you can ride a bike on it. It even has triangles (no where near the speed cams .. :roll: ) warning us that pedestrians may be crossing the road at some point.

I would not ride a bicycle on this road... :roll: It does not have a cycle lane ...

Another one .. the A580. That has huge chunks with a shared cycle lane/footpath. I hear the path ist well maintained .. not one walks though. The cyclists ride on the A580... und run the red lights :yikes:... und half those lights have red light cams... :roll: (as "judged danagerously wide crossings on fast road" - per thte response when questioned as to proliferation in one stretch of it. (Ist where Mad Doc's sisters und brother live... one of the girls lives a 5 minute walk from the "Lancs.")

But some of them do come across as arrogant and self-righteous.. und talk a load of poo! :roll:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 16:22 
User

Some cyclists are selfish, for instance riding two abreast on a narrow road and not dropping into single file when a car driver is following.

How do you safely pass riders on a club run on a twisty road? With patience, restraint and difficulty.

Or last Sunday, following four cyclists on racing bikes on a badly iced-up country road. After driving at 5 mph in first gear for about 5 mins while they slipped and slid around in the middle of the road, three eventually pulled off into a driveway. As a cyclist, I would have stopped and walked in this situation. As a driver I couldn't risk them falling off and sliding under the front of the car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 18:21 
User

A Cyclist wrote:
Some cyclists are selfish, for instance riding two abreast on a narrow road and not dropping into single file when a car driver is following.

This is such a source of contention. What's worse? Dropping into single file, if there's ten of you, can make it harder for a car to overtake than if there's five car-sized groups of two with room between them. I always go for the single file but I've been told off for doing it!

Quote:
How do you safely pass riders on a club run on a twisty road? With patience, restraint and difficulty.

Yep!

Quote:
Or last Sunday, following four cyclists on racing bikes on a badly iced-up country road. After driving at 5 mph in first gear for about 5 mins while they slipped and slid around in the middle of the road, three eventually pulled off into a driveway. As a cyclist, I would have stopped and walked in this situation. As a driver I couldn't risk them falling off and sliding under the front of the car.

Were they in SPDs? They might have been unable to get off and walk if the road was icy. SPDs would be more treacherous than wheels in those circumstances!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 20:15 
User

I don't normally read the cycling forum, but I DO resent the comment that mountain bikes in towns are as bad as 4x4s johnsher!

I used to cycle everywhere as a student. I also enjoyed offroading in my free time. I couldn't afford 2 bikes, so I used the MTB for commuting. Didn't stop me from obaying red lights, using cycleways where appropriate and generally behaving though!

Lizard, don't get me started on walking in SPDs! :shock: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 22:04 
User

is it me? or are drivers displaying less cheer & goodwill than usual in this festive season :?

i'm usually pretty chilled out about it all but i'm finding myself increasingly annoyed with the number of people trying to take me out lately :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 00:10 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sixy_the_red wrote:
I don't normally read the cycling forum, but I DO resent the comment that mountain bikes in towns are as bad as 4x4s johnsher!

only 3 weeks to get a bite :lol: Even so, I think you're reading a little too much into what I said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:24 
User

johnsher wrote:
Sixy_the_red wrote:

only 3 weeks to get a bite :lol: Even so, I think you're reading a little too much into what I said.

Don't worry about it, I'm slow! :P

I probably was reading too much into it...it was a LONG day yesterday!

(Besides that, at least my MTB actually saw mud once in a while! :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:32 
User

oi :lol:

i commute on my old slicked up MTB.... no way i'd put my road bike through the battering & wear & tear.