Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 18:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 01:52 
User

This is CW's "LETTER OF THE WEEK"

Quote:

With the shortening days it is very clear how few cyclists where I live in West London have lighting or bother to make themselves more visible by wearing bright clothing

Oh .. please don't mention High Viz. But then perhaps they don't wear it because as this reader continues .. they just cannot find it..

Quote:

Earlier this year I bought a bike. It cam complete with a pump, bell, stand lights, Shimano dynamo hub and mudguards for just £200.

Everything went well until last week when I used the lights for the first time. The bulb blew immediately. Closer inspection showed the bulb was too low a wattage for the 3W dynamo. I tried 3 local cycle shops for a replacement. They had bulbs - but not the correct wattage. I cycled to Halfords who might sell bike lights and claim to be the UK's biggest bicycle retailer.. but .. they don't sell the replacement bulbs but have everything for the car... :roll: They told me this with a straight face too! They did offer to sell me their top of the range lights for £32.

Oh.. my Lupines! So you chuck away and buy new each time the bulb blows.. hmmm! I wonder how much recycling tax that generates... :roll:

Good on this chap for being blessed with hthe "make do and mend" ethic as he did not give up.. and got his bulbs from.. the local electrical shop in the High Street. 8-)

but as the star letter writer says

Quote:

What sort of message does this give out to novice riders when manufacturers cannot be bothered to fit the correct bulb and reatailers - local and national - don't sell replacements? Adequate lighting clearly seems unimportant to these people .. so why should cyclists bother?

Well they should - because it can be a matter of life and death to a cyclist

:clap: Of course they should bother and perhaps cyclists should demand correct fittings of lights on new bikes as standard - and have options of more expensive bits and bobs as we do with our cars. I would of course have checked the bike on purhcase and raised merry hell over the wrong bulb as well.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:23 

I was going to post a thread about cyclists who ride at night without lights, but as this thread has been started, I think I'll post here.

When I bought my bike last month, I bought most of the accessories I thought I'd need at the same time. These were things like cycling clips, helmet, cycling gloves, PTFE lubricant spray, locking security chain, and of course front and rear lights. The ones I bought are the multi-mode flashing lights which many cyclists seem to use. A mounting post is screwd on to the bike frame, and the light clips on to that and is released easily for when the bike is left unattended. As I recall, the lights cost only £5.49 each. I'm told that the batteries should last years, depending on use of course.

Most serious cyclists use lights of this type. So why do so many "kidz" and casual cyclists not bother? Typically, this type of individual pays scant regard to the rules of the road, and will often be seen carrying a passenger. These people are obviously very vulnerable, especially at night. Do the police take any action when they spot a bike being ridden at night without lights?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 14:34 
User

The most common reason for not having lights on your bike - or it was the reason when I last rode a bike (which was 20 years ago), but is probably still true - is that they are easy to nick. You start of with the good intentions, but come back to the bike that you parked in a public space, and your lights are missing; so you just don't bother replacing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 14:51 

I understand that, but my lights clip on to mounting posts. I unclip them and take them with me when leaving the bike. Many other cyclists use this type.