Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 23:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 19:46 

Well, I don't expect to see one of these in my Xmas stocking, so I'll have to buy it myself!

My £150 ProBike Enterprise has been an excellent starter bike, but now that I've decided I'm hooked on this sport, I have been talked into getting the Specialized GLOBE Pro, shown above. It's described on the Evans Website. http://tinyurl.com/whte8

I need a hybrid bike in preference to a racing bike because I cycle along canal towpaths and other routes which have occasional obstacles like tree roots, which a racing bike with thin tyres would not appreciate. And, even though I've lost ~20lb in two months since starting, I feel I still need beefy tyres to support the load! The tyres I'll be getting have a slick centre section, with a tread cut on the shoulders.

I've found that I use all my gears, and that a cassette of 6 on the back is still not enough! I shall appreciate the Shimano derailleurs front and back. The Deore variant is not top spec, but should be a lot better than what I have now, with just a single click of a lever to shift.