Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 14:13

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 17:26 
User

well - they have a new editor Matt Brett. It seems Tony Farelly theirr former editor has moved on to "work on a website project" Goodness I hope that this is a new site promoting serious riding and not whatever goes on .. err.. wll.. right.

Apparently Tony did not clean out the remains of his muffin from the keyboard ...

Hold up... look I saw the piece about being a "stud muffin" first ... and I have four kids ... so :P :P

The forum news simply refers to 35 pages of "entrenched belief" and does point out that there is opporutnity for more peaceful and chilled discussions on their board. :wink:

Yep.. those who ride discuss... those who don't ... type :wink:

OK... well to whet appetites for a browse or even a purchase...

DUFF's cartonn :rotfl:

Depicts fat bottomed guy with a bar code across his backside . Caption

Quote:

Police State as predicted by George Orweell is almost upon us in 2207

Big Borther is now scanning your arse and charge you for the privilege

But don't worry - your will get extra points on your loyalty cards"

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I think they mean the driving licence .. and dummy ones held by DVLA to keep track of all them "crimes against the state" :wink:

Blimey.. a sense of humour of kindred spirit :rotfl:

I should scan it.. but I think you should look at the comic and - ya never know .. you might find more stimulating stuff to get that arse on a bike! :lol:

What else is in it.. ? Excellent .. aboslutely excellent review of lights - plus photos showing exact .

:bow: IO note they give a good mark to Lupines :wink:

Oh and this piece on page 100 is reviewed by "ddo dud dooo doo"

Paul Smith :shock: :?

Paul.. you dark horse you! :hehe: I had no idea!

What with designer gear, perfumes and now a degree in "all things mechanical" :wink:

Oh hang on ... it's another Paul Smith.. :boxedin:

But some excellent and clear reviews - especially on positioning the beam

Quote:

There is little point in pointing this glare at car drivers and then expecting to be safe. Be sensible with your lights and you'll be safer [i] not only for seeing where your're going but also for allowing oher road users to see where they are going too

He also expands on LEDS v HIDS and I would say this for this piece alone - copy for reference - well worth the purchase.

Not the mag's fault that a certain minority brigade of rabid non-cyclists and non drivers have hi-jacked what should otherwise be a very useful and pleasant on-line medium for all road users.

I would urge any new serious minded new user to our site to ignore the current seasonal nonsense which occurs each Christmas and just read the posts which are to do with riding, driving and other threads debating generally safe and legal road use in a fair and reasoned manner.

I do buy the magazine every so often and I shall at least attempt to redress the balance by pointing out why the magazine makes a very valuable and informative read for most of us who enjoy our bikes. I would hate anyone to get the wrong impression of Cycling Plus .. the magazine as a result of ... let's say .. certain nonsenses.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 17:39 
User

On the letters page one reader writes

Quote:

I have just finished reading they article (C+ - issue 190 - news) regarding how you can be held liable if involved in a road traffic accident even when fitted with flashing lights

The idea that flashing lights are illegal if the flashing mode is used when a permanent mode is available is preposterous.

Indeed... Law's an ass basically. I do not think any officer worth his warrant card and uniform would bother about this. We are just relieved about common sense decisions to be at least attempting to be seen. :roll:

But.. :scratchchin: I guess inusrance companies have their own sets of criteria and can only suggest joining CTC to at least get some constructive help there.

Quote:

I know from experience that flashing rear lights offer good visibility

What's being overlooked are the goons who ride along in full black gear with no lights on at all. Surely a flashing light system is better than none and kids would find the flashing lights a lot cooler

Indeed... :clap: :bow:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 17:43 
User

By the way :rotfl: though this was not the STAR letter (will come to that one later :wink:)

The Cycling Plus prize for the STAR letter is....:hehe:

a full set of day-glo gilets, bike strips, stickers bands and more

:clap:

Hmmm.. methinks there is light after all here :hehe:

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!