Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 05:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 19:31 
User

The piece asks if "two abreast in a large group is advisable or legal!"

The Highway Code advises that we should never ride more than two abreast and move to single file on narrow roads. or on the approach to a bend.

It is common sense and as Richard Peace points out and in direct opposition to some militant we read who purports to be a CTC member :roll: (or rather as reported to me by one of the Swiss riff raff :roll: and seen for myself via a link and a paste in the case of one site :wink:

Quote:

The CTC advice is very similar but more detailed:

Group riding is done in pairs as it is sociable as a group together. Single file is courteous and safer on some roads

As Richard Peace points out .. the Highway Code does permit "two abreast". In the case of a cycling club outing .. the onus is really on the group leader to decide whether to use single file because of traffic or when passing walkers or horses.

:yikes:

Get some rules please group leaders! Show courtesy as I do enjoy a country walk and some of us do like to ride a horse too.

If you are in a group or club - make sure you know all the rules and methods of moving from double to single file .. and also remember you are all in charge of your own safety .. and you should do what you yourself as person on that saddle feel comfortable with.

Also as Richard points out.. the Highway Code does indeed highlight the rules which are LAW in RED and does relate to the statute in the small print (and I know we posted that one up in the past on this site :lol: - nice to know they do listen as well as lurk :lol:)

But bottom line.. Our lads/lasses will not prosecute over two abreast .. but may have words if this is not advisable or good practice. We will try to help promote safety and our stance applies to all road users.. we do not fine or prosecute without good reason and we will always try to use any punishment as a last resort anyway. The onus should always be on improving a situation and trying to promote good practice

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 18:36 
New User
New User

The mention of horses reminds me of a hilarious incident on a Worthing Excelsior club-run 15-20 years ago.

About twenty of us were pottering down Walberton Lane (near Arundel) when we spotted a quartette of ladies on HUGE horses.

The horses seemed quite fresh and lively, so we dismounted and stood quietly as the group passed. One lady, obviously in charge, thanked us in a cut-glass eccent, adding "... he doesn't like bicycles, y'know".

Runs leader Tony Palmer replied "understandable ma'am, perhaps he can't get his feet in the toe-clips".

Nice!

:oops1: John :oops1:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 19:50 
User

i had a situation before christmas where on a fairly main road i could see a horse about 1/4mile ahead.
a truck thundered past me and scared me witless.... and shortly after the horse who skittered off onto the verge with its rider.

i slowed to let them recover and was now in a position where i wanted to pass as wide as possible and as quickly as possible! i took primary as i approached until i was sure they were stable again.. fortunately the car behind that had appeared by then read the situation well and held back so i could make it safely past.