Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 09:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 09:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Stumpjumper, (1700 bloody pounds worth!), has got the wobbliest rear wheel I’ve seen in a long time. Because I have disc brakes, I was unaware of it until my mate told me who was following behind. (One drawback with disc brakes).

Now my old Stumpy, which I used to go down the side of hills etc. for years and had a very hard life, stood up to the punishment. This new expensive contraption has only ever been on the road and up and down a few curbs with one trip over my local hillside. The damn thing’s only a few months old!

On inspection, it isn’t the spoke which has broken but the aluminium alloy nipple. I have since found out that they are a bit crap and I‘m now having the wheel rebuilt changing all the nipples for brass, (I think they’re brass), which are better and stronger. (Maybe a fraction heavier, but so what.)

The guy in the shop told me they are also less inclined to seize on the spoke or round-off with the spoke key.

In this lighter than light obsession I think they have go too far. I really haven’t given this bike a hard time so for this to happen is, IMO, quite unacceptable if not dangerous. What would have happend if I had gone down the hills like I used to, I can only imagine :yikes:

So my advice: if you have these aluminium nipples on your bike you may want to consider changing them. The guy in the shop is doing it for £15, so not too expensive to change. I could have taken it back to where I bought the bike from, under guarantee, but they would be obliged to fix it back to the same spec - and there’s no way I want that again.

Anyone else had this or heard of it?

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:57 
User

They dont have to fix it back to the same spec, if the cause of the complaint is a design flaw.
They may well have had a change of design if it was a common fault.

Do you want some 5mm titanium rod to make you own? :lol:

You'd need a small Petoll lathe but they would be light and strong!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 13:51 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
They dont have to fix it back to the same spec, if the cause of the complaint is a design flaw.
They may well have had a change of design if it was a common fault.

I'm not sure they would admit it's a design flaw Ernest and if they did it would take time and be more hassle for me than them. Their facilities are a bit iffy. They're more geared-up for assembling new bikes for sale and regular maintainence etc.

So I decided to take mine to a long established cycle workshop place whom I can trust to do a good job.

I was in two minds as to whether I should get the front wheel done too, but I can see if that one starts to go off true. Also, the main load is at the back so I'm hoping the front will be okay. Image

The problem is that it only takes one nipple to break and the loading on the others will cause yet more to break I should imagine.

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Do you want some 5mm titanium rod to make you own? :lol:

You'd need a small Petoll lathe but they would be light and strong!

:lol: May take you up on that ;) My aprenticeship included mechanical engineering. I wonder if someone sells them already though :idea: I feel a Google coming on...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 14:28 
User

probably pretty typical of a boggo machine built wheel unfortunately.

they dont have the finesse or feel of a human wheel builder !

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 15:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hi ed Image Jonah here again with my tales of cycling woe :D

I vividly remember checking the wheels when I had it from new and they were perfect. I really haven't abused the thing so I think it is just down to the use of these crappie nipples as a cost and weight saving exercise. (Although at £1700 I’d expect it to come with Tiffany Cufflinks.)

BTW. Got your new bike yet? Still in suspenders here.. I won't tell anyone else Image

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 21:28 
User

new bike has the deposit down.
geometry has been finalised..... so over the next month or so the frame will be built to fit like a glove.

wheels, a few minor components & aesthetics yet to be confirmed :)

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 09:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sounds like a good job they can’t get speeding cyclists yet ed :wink:

Well, in conclusion, I’ve had my rear wheel rebuilt now and something else slapped me in the face like a wet fish: The new nipples are not only stronger but 4mm longer! (10mm instead of 6mm measured from the rim) This is bound to be better and stronger IMO.

Maybe I’ve gained an extra 0.1 gram on the wheel, but I think I can live with it. :roll:

I know you like Specialized ed but really, this is so bad IMO and I bet it’s a common problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 17:04 
User

picking it up tomorrow

fair to say i may be getting a wee bit overexcited just now :bighand:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 00:58 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Weather looks good for you. :D

Hope it's all you expect it to be. Maybe we can get a pic of it soon?

Take it easy. Mind the SMIDSY nutters.