Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 05:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Awkward Puncture/Tear
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 17:50 
User

I noticed today as I was about to head off to see a customer my front tyre had gone all the way down since putting the bike away a couple of nights ago, though it would be a nice easy puncture but instead it's a rather awkward tear in the tube.

The tear is at the base of the valve, if the valve is pushed to the right air comes out. It literally looks like the rubber has ripped, I've no idea how this could have happened... either way I was hoping someone might tell me how I could fix this as I don't have a spare inner tube and need the bike first thing in the morning... all I have is a standard puncture repair kit... is it possible or do I need a new tube?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 18:44 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Try a new tube - bit costly - but then it's your neck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 19:42 
User

mmltonge wrote:
I noticed today as I was about to head off to see a customer my front tyre had gone all the way down since putting the bike away a couple of nights ago, though it would be a nice easy puncture but instead it's a rather awkward tear in the tube.

The tear is at the base of the valve, if the valve is pushed to the right air comes out. It literally looks like the rubber has ripped, I've no idea how this could have happened... either way I was hoping someone might tell me how I could fix this as I don't have a spare inner tube and need the bike first thing in the morning... all I have is a standard puncture repair kit... is it possible or do I need a new tube?

Get the largest patch from repair kit, cut a hole in it stick it over the valve and stick down, blow up tyre and cycle down to a shop and buy a new tube you skinflint :lol: It should stay inflated long enough................but are you just having a laugh? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 23:50 
User

I wasn't having a laugh, I noticed the puncture at about 5pm and needed the bike next morning before a bike shop would be open. Postponed the meeting anyway and got a new tube. Had never had to buy one before, didn't realise they were only a fiver!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:51 
User

mmltonge wrote:
I wasn't having a laugh, I noticed the puncture at about 5pm and needed the bike next morning before a bike shop would be open. Postponed the meeting anyway and got a new tube. Had never had to buy one before, didn't realise they were only a fiver!

i tend to buy a job lot from wiggle when i run out.
i've never had a problem with patched tubes but when they're running at 100psi on my road bike i don't fancy risking it.

consider yourself lucky.. the tubular tyres on my new race bike are £40 a hit :shock:
(but very low rolling resistance and fantastic ride quality)