Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 08:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:31 
User

ed_m wrote:
if not... why arent the police doing something about the apparently obvious infringements?

IIRC the police actually direct the procession through the red lights, which makes it totally legal to pass a light on red.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
Will you also hand out summons to all the motorists who congregate on my local roads at eight thirty in the morning and obstruct my ride to work?

They do this deliberately to obstruct you, do they?

"Celebrate safe cycling" my a**e - they are rentamob scum whose prime purpose is to disruption of other people's lawful activities.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 13:20 
User

PeterE wrote:
they are rentamob scum whose prime purpose is to disruption of other people's lawful activities.

Now that is slightly unfair and predjudiced.

SOME of the participants really should grow up, but many are law abiding cyclists that go along for genuine reasons and don't break the law or otherwise act like idiots.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 00:41 
User

weepej wrote:
PeterE wrote:
they are rentamob scum whose prime purpose is to disruption of other people's lawful activities.

Now that is slightly unfair and predjudiced.

SOME of the participants really should grow up, but many are law abiding cyclists that go along for genuine reasons and don't break the law or otherwise act like idiots.

Hmmn.

Quote:
go along for genuine reasons

So they are making a journey from A to B for some reason.

What is that reason?

I drive to carry out my trade

I also drive to carry out "domestic" functions (taking my elderly Mum shopping etc)

I have also been known to drive for pleasure (though with fuel at 15p/mile I havnt done much of that recently (tho, having said that, compared to other activities, driving for pleasuere is still not that expensive!) and in any case City centres arnt exactly my idea of a nice Sunday afternoon drive!

What is the reason for "rentamob" to cycle around London city centre disrupting the other traffic?

Pleasure My Arse! (Unless its shadenfreuid (Sp?) from seeing other people held up/disrupted)

"Work", My Arse too!

any other bids for what other "genuine" reasons might qualify??

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:00 
User

Dusty wrote:

Do motorcyclists not meet up at Box Hill of a weekend?

There is a social aspect to the ride; think of it as a car rally if that helps you see past your blinkers.

Again, I remind you, not all cyclists on the ride block junctions, only a tiny minority.

Arguably though, for those that do get militant, I've seen taxi drivers and hauliers blocking up central london to make a point, I guess that's ok with you... Perspective wise they block up Central London to protest about the way their money flows. Trivial compared to real serious injuries and deaths suffered by people on cycles where people in large vehicles were not taking the due care and responsibility you think they might considering the potential of the vehicle they're driving to cause such harm.

Seriously, I don't support the ride, but opinions expressed here make me want to join the next one!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 19:44 
User

weepej wrote:
ed_m wrote:
if not... why arent the police doing something about the apparently obvious infringements?

IIRC the police actually direct the procession through the red lights, which makes it totally legal to pass a light on red.

Err/ this is to keep the disruption to other road users to a minimum or the lesser hold up. If my colleagues or even our own chaps in such a situation get them out of the way - then we can get the rest of the traffic on the move.

No one was suggesting out lawing the ride. It was and still is a reasonable request to have an itinerary so that we can police accordingly and with minimum inconvenience to others.

If this gridlock should prevent an emergency vehicle from making progress and when required (often in a huge city like London as I worked there when i first joined this profession) :popcorn:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 20:29 
User

weepej wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Do motorcyclists not meet up at Box Hill of a weekend?

There is a social aspect to the ride; think of it as a car rally if that helps you see past your blinkers.

:roll: A car rally has to be organised - like a time trial or the TOB with various council and police permits for these events to go ahead.

A CM meanders in a huge mass in London (not so elsewhere .. in the UK :wink:) Ohter processions do require some prior notification. I agree that sometimes - if this takes up a lot of police officers from normal duties .. such as football matches and other events - we will invoice the organisers for such additional services as this should not be a cost to the taxpayer at large :wink:

Quote:
Again, I remind you, not all cyclists on the ride block junctions, only a tiny minority.

It only takes one or two such idiots to create a gridllock though.

A gridlock costs all caught in it time, money and frustration. Especially in London as these people, as I note Wildy posted up on PH , have paid a congestion charge on the promise that they would not be held up for this fee. :roll: The Londoners then do not just pay normal taxes .. they pay an extra fee to drive on those roads. They thus have a little more right to expect not to be held up by a mob of lycra clad yobs who create a very negative impression of cycling and thus put a lot of folk off the very idea. In short .. an own goal given it achieves the very oppposite by virtue of it s arrogant disregard of all other road users from pedestrian to taxi to bus to car as far as London is concerned :bunker:

Quote:
Arguably though, for those that do get militant, I've seen taxi drivers and hauliers blocking up central london to make a point, I guess that's ok with you...

I was with the Met in my early years. I recall booking belligerent taxi drivers and wayward lorry drivers .. just as I booked errant drivers and the odd cyclist :wink:
Quote:

Perspective wise they block up Central London to protest about the way their money flows. Trivial compared to real serious injuries and deaths suffered by people on cycles where people in large vehicles were not taking the due care and responsibility you think they might considering the potential of the vehicle they're driving to cause such harm.

Ah..

But .. weepy . I have lost count of the number of times we could not charge the HGV driver because the cyclist decided to rid up their inside.. and seemed oblivious of any indication to turn left :roll; It works each way. We all have that responsibiluity to look ahead .. never ever take anything for granted and always expect a muppet to do the unexpected :roll:

Quote:

Seriously, I don't support the ride, but opinions expressed here make me want to join the next one!

[/quote]

The mad Cats were justified . They booked a weekend away.. Anniversary for them. They wanted to enjoy each other without their kids. (When he says I was pale thereafter :rotfl: I do declare I have never met a chiid quite like Lukas. He makes "Ben and Karen" from "Outnumbered" seem quite tame :yikes: That kid has an answer for everything :roll: )

But back to the Mad Cats. As Ted stated - he shelled out for first class train tickets. Whisked his wife in fair style to a Mayfair Hotel. I know he splashed out big time for a land mark anniversary for them and he wanted things to be "perfect" He ended up disapoointed and completely alienated towards militant London cyclists because of this experience :roll:

I suspect he will not be alone amongst other tourists to London.

CM here? We do not really have one. Northerners have more sense :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.