It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 20:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Dorset Cycle Death
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 15:18 
User

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/dorset/7760328.stm
Quote:
Electric cyclist in fatal crash

A 75-year-old man has died in hospital after he crashed into a van while riding his electric bicycle in Dorset.

Police believe the man fell ill while riding on Lions Lane in Ashley Heath, near Ringwood.

He crashed into a parked van and was airlifted to the Royal Bournemouth Hospital where he later died. Police said he died from natural causes.

Officers are appealing for witnesses to the accident, which happened at about 1220 GMT on Monday.

Not sure whether this death was due o ill health - I didn't think those electric bikes went fast enough to result in a fatality through hitting a parked vehicle.
Does striking a parked vehicle count as natural causes if no other trauma is evident?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Dorset Cycle Death
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 15:43 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Will Dorset SCP put him in the KSI figures?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 16:16 
User

i'd have thought even at 10mph you could be unfortunate enough to sustain a fatal impact, especially if elderly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 20:56 
User

ed_m wrote:
i'd have thought even at 10mph you could be unfortunate enough to sustain a fatal impact, especially if elderly.

Sadly, as we know from news reports of "mobility schooter" incidents - one of which caused "serious injury" to a woman waiting in a supermarket queue when the elderly ladey reversed into her :roll: - there have been calls for these "road users" to be licenced.

The electric bicycle is no exception in real terms as these can be rather "nippy".

I suspect though that the old boy hit the van and went over the bars .. perhaps hitting his head on the van or road or kerb. From my experiences of fatals involving pedestrians and cyclists - most fatal injuries are due to imact against head or the impact causing internal bleeding of "vital organs" ... or even just the pure post traumatic shock of a crash. :(

Mad Doc has explained once what a body goes through when in shock from his medical training. Shock can kill just as much as a blow to a vital organ. - epesoecually if very young or "getting on a bit". :(

However the old gent died - I will post condolences in case his family hit on this site. Thankfully no other party was injured. Cold comfort maybe of sorts.. but my choir do dedicate a hymn in our Chistmas concerts to all who die/are injured for whatever reason on the roads with our choirmaster making a short comment of prayer and hope that we may learn to be more careful and caring in the New Year.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 21:13 
User

Quote:
The electric bicycle is no exception in real terms as these can be rather "nippy".

A "Pedal" bike can be good for more than 30MPH and, as has been reported on these boards, can be perfectly capable of killing people! Why is the presence of some sort of mechanical propulsion considererd as being a "break point" as far as licenses are concerned??

:bunker:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 22:07 
User

Dusty wrote:
Quote:

A "Pedal" bike can be good for more than 30MPH and, as has been reported on these boards, can be perfectly capable of killing people! Why is the presence of some sort of mechanical propulsion considererd as being a "break point" as far as licenses are concerned??

I think because one has a motor and the other is due to human power. :roll;

I know it does not make sense... but the law is a an ASS to quote Dickens in this respect. :roll;

Or I fear we are far too tolerant of "green" issues these days .. whereas in the past .. we would prosecute such fools :roll;

Actually we do so here and n N Yorks where such things as "stupidly silly and warranting a chat" still matter. . I cannot say the same for elsewhere though :popcorn: :roll: based on press reports from elsewhere. :popcorn:

I can only confirm that we have words .. but do use some professional judgement. We think we build trust/confidence in this way, Our overall stats suggest we have some succese across the board here :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 23:25 
User

In Gear wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Quote:

I think because one has a motor and the other is due to human power. :roll;

I know it does not make sense... but the law is a an ASS to quote Dickens in this respect. :roll;

well its not is it ?... an ass .. or considered as being a "break point" ... currently.

hence:
licensed cars
licensed motorbikes
licensed mopeds
licensed quads
unlicensed invalid carraiges
unlicensed electric assisted bikes
unlicensed cycles
unlicensed runners
unlicensed pedestrians

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 23:43 
User

Quote:
unlicensed runners

Hmnn, I wonder how many pedestrians are knocked down and killed by joggers each year?

If it was similar to the numbers killed by drivers "Talking and driving" I would not be surprised in the least!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 21:03 
Supporter
Supporter

Quote:
licensed cars
licensed motorbikes
licensed mopeds
licensed quads
unlicensed invalid carraiges
unlicensed electric assisted bikes
unlicensed cycles
unlicensed runners
unlicensed pedestrians

You missed out unlicensed horse-riders, unlicensed herds of cows and unlicensed dogs :-)