Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 09:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 15:31 
User

Allan Ramsay of Roadpeace , CW and letter writing fame was knocked down by a motorist last October.

Allan says he saw the driver making a right turn whilst on a mobile phone. He then pulled over without indicating. Brkae lights came on. Allan moved to overtake what appeared to be a stationary vehicle. The driver then pulled out - sterered right and hit him. Allan twisted his wrist in the fall. He picked himself up and stood in front of the car - which reversed and "sped off".

Allan had the reg number and reported him. But it took an alleged 2 months before police traced and interviewed him :roll:

That's the background per CW

Now it seems the driver has agreed to do a DIS course over one and half days as an alternative to a prosecution for careless 0r inconsiderate driving /fleeing scene of an accident/failing to report . etc :popcorn: If he misses the course (which will cost him £152.50 in fees) - he will be in court instead.

Police did tell Allan that there was sufficient to convict. (Actually we have to have sufficient to convict :popcorn:) but there is no provision in the law for a magistrate to order a retraining session. They can order an extended test after a ban - but this is not the same thing :roll:

letter to Allan as quoted in CW this week wrote:

The imposition of a fine and penalty points do not necessaily do anything to correct poor driving habits

:yesyes:

Allan is quoted in CW as being

CW wrote:

happy with the decision. He'll hopefully learn something. I still say the driving test should include cycling so that drivers experience at first hand the needs of cyclists
[/quote]

Many do ride before learning to drive. Some cannot ride for some other health or personal reason - and I think the hazard awareness needs to focus on this. Also - I think all drivers would benefit from some specific training addressing the needs of truckers and, I would advocate similar training for cyclists so that they also understand the needs of the big truck and bus drivers :popcorn:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 06:57 

In Gear wrote:
Allan says he saw the driver making a right turn whilst on a mobile phone. He then pulled over without indicating. Brkae lights came on. Allan moved ....

.....straight into the lion's jaws.

Seriously, he sees a numpty yet pots himself in a dangerous position.

Being in the right is little consolation in your hospital bed.... or worse. :angel:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 23:14 
User

Homer wrote:
In Gear wrote:
Allan says he saw the driver making a right turn whilst on a mobile phone. He then pulled over without indicating. Brkae lights came on. Allan moved ....

.....straight into the lion's jaws.

Seriously, he sees a numpty yet pots himself in a dangerous position.

Being in the right is little consolation in your hospital bed.... or worse. :angel:

Yes . I will concede point. You have to be aware as Franklin points out in pages 53-55 and he puts COAST in pictures :wink:

Same mentality as riding in bad weather per his last letter.

Yet .. I do meet him halfway and even full way on the odd issue, :wink: I think he lurks. I'd like him to add his views and if he does so . I would love to think we can reply as very thoughtful types who use a safe speed by default as we all do in reality.

OK . so me and IG and my wife (on odd occasion) seize on you. We quote you on this site. I think you should thank us for putting your views on a site which you perhaps wrongly think to be "NAUGHTY" and frequented by WIDE BOYS who think a lolly sign only applies to learners and Miss Daisy.

No .. WRONG. Most apply the safe speed for road condition, We admit we get the odd hot head .but IG usually educates them with his too wise words.

I know this guy. I would not ever challenge him or cheek him to his face. I look up to him as a fountain of common sense all the same. :bow: #

But the nicest thing about IG . he answers folk in need wthout judging them. :bow: We know he quotes the law . but he does it so reassuringly

Nice chap, AL R would approve of Durham's dealing.

"soft" ??

Evidence points to HARDER THAN SCP :popcorn:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.