Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 01:22

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:25 
User

As this appears in a Cycling Mag - think I will pop it in here.

I think there are a few items to debate from this piece.

Roger St Pierre writes that a pal of his recently

C+ wrote:

decked himself at 100mph on a rural lane in Essex He spent several months in traction and then when recovered - bought himself an even faster Ducati? :?

He claims that speed is

C+ wrote:
"addictive".. and that the lure of countryroads where you can see oncoming cars a mike off a magnet for bikers

OK these comments warrant discussion in "Improving Driving" or in BIKING itself as St Pierre remarks that the rash of biking accidents have caused Essex police to "haunt the Essex rurals with helicopters and patrols to "nail the speeders".

Well :scratchchin: . we do the same up at Teesdale and Weardale (our danger spots and where we still fall down on our safety records :banghead:

He rmarks that all the bikers are middle aged professional looking men - who should be cyclists :shock:

The writer goes on to say that there was once a right of passage from rollerskates to motorbike and then to car ownership. I think he's right as that was more or less what happened with me.

However, he says that we now skip some of the stages in this crucual development (and for all we know this may be a part of our problems out there? :? )

C+ May issue wrote:

Motorbikers and cyclists are two groups who have been historically misunderstood and even ........ persecuted - though the latter is perceived and feelings of being "hard done by verge on pure paranoia"

OK .. too many points in this piece .. I think for JohnnytheBoy - I will treat them all as "separates" :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 08:38 
Life Member
Life Member

I just about followed it...

The last line about 'feelings of being "hard done by verge on pure paranoia"!' rings a bell in the context of some posters here for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 15:13 
User

I tried to summarise it. It was a huge full A4 page in the mag and seemed to take half the page to get to its nub of bus lane sharing :popcorn: . Could not find copy to paste on the mag's site as they like folk to buy the rag :wink: Decided to split it up at that point. :wink:

We (me, MM and the Wild Vrench) all tend to find local stuff on t'internet - paste it up. Then we chunk it to sections to comment on instead of posting the whole thing and then making a series of short posts in comments.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.