Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 23:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 23:43 
User

AM currently reading this week;s CW and plenty in it of juicy interest. I will post up some of the meatier topics in due course :lol:

But this week .. tragically . two lady cyclists have been killed by left turning HGVs in the capital.

BoJo has written to the DfT requesting that cyclists be allowed to go through on red to turn LEFT ONLY.

The London Cycling Ca,paing supports the idea but disagrees with Bojo's alleged floating it on the HGV danger, saying that the drivers must be aware of the cyclists :popcorn:

I think more a case of each road user being aware of the other's needs and difficult "blind spots"

BoJo plans to meet the Transport Minister to discuss the idea with a view to piloting it next year.

More later when I've read and digested me weekly rag. :drink2: over my Horlicks

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 08:26 
User

I don't much like the idea myself, it could encourge more people to filter up the inside of large vehicles when they otherwise might have waited.

ASL's have this effect too, but I imagine the thought of being able to carry on past the light would seem to be a bigger draw to do this IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 06:39 
Supporter
Supporter

Again I can't speak for London but this just seems to be regularising what the majority of cyclists already do. :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 07:59 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Again I can't speak for London but this just seems to be regularising what the majority of cyclists already do. :evil:

In London, from observation, it would seem about 70% of cyclists would jump a red light if it seems safe to do so (i.e. no traffic coming (they hope) or a t junction where they're not cross traffic flow).

This probaby climbs to 90% for say ped xing that's showing a red light and there are no pedestrians on it.

Happy to report thought that these percentages seem to be going down, well at least they were until Boris made this knee jerk comment.

Strange that Boris should make this statement?:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sunday-mirror/2 ... -20414272/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:45 
Supporter
Supporter

weepej wrote:
Happy to report thought that these percentages seem to be going down

It seems perfectly reasonable to me to cross a red light which is not facilitating the movement of other traffic. I often do so on my bicycle and only the draconian penalties prevent me from doing so in my car.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 09:51 
Supporter
Supporter

weepej wrote:

Strange that Boris should make this statement?:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sunday-mirror/2 ... -20414272/

In that series of pictures he doesn't appear to be doing anything dangerous. The only verifiable illegal action is riding on pavement. Nor despite the captions is there any evidence that he is "pedalling furiously". My impression from that picture is of someone cycling fairly cautiously

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 14:55 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
I often do so on my bicycle and only the draconian penalties prevent me from doing so in my car.

It's similar to same as the exceeding the speed limit argument though (and the gun argument).

Sure, most people would probably get on perfectly well if cars were allowed to travel through red lights (or own guns), but sadly we have to make concessions on the understanding that some people wouldn't treat that freedom with the respect it deserves; some never, some only some of the time (i.e. when not in a hurry/angry/a bit drunk).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 15:10 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

AIUI this would only be done at specified junctions and there would still be a requirement to give way to conflicting traffic. I fail to see the problem - it should be extended to motor vehicles.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 20:11 
User

PeterE wrote:
it should be extended to motor vehicles.

Completely negating the point for doing it for cyclists only...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 21:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
PeterE wrote:

Does it really? I do see your point and it does have merit, but speaking as a fellow cyclist: I of course wouldn't dream of trying to cut past a moving vehicle turning left - that's just stupid; but a stationary vehicle that then pulls away turning left, just as you've drawn up beside them (we know some drivers don't look) is just as dangerous.
Cyclists and drivers being allowed to turn left would encourage the cyclists to wait, or at least wait behind the vehicle at the front of the queue, then safely take their (second) place in the queue, just like how it does already happen (or should).
(I hope that made sense)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 21:23 
User

weepej wrote:
PeterE wrote:

USA have this for all road users.

Germany has this in some states too.

Weepy . I think we have to look at the whole picture and sometimes it will make sense to allow . and not sense in others.

My sisters tell me of many a junction in Manchester/Bolton whereby they can filter a left by virtue of GIVE WAY marks and NO traffic signals fir them as these apply to the rest ..

. They say this works fine . so perhaps another angle to consider when engineering our roads :scratchchin:

Weepy .. we are no enemy .. we try to further the debates to make sense of our lots in life perhaps. I am aware we ask awkward questions though .. which get lost in smiley abuse at times :lol: Oh well.. I take heart in fact they tried hard to gag us. :lol: and FAILED!

AND .. no.. I do not ride up the nearside of a big vehicle or anything indicating left turn as this might be suicide. I would not do so even if they altered to left filter, I would decide and plan according to road condition and COAST assess,

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.