Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Oct 01, 2020 14:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 08:39 
User

I have pasted this verbatim from the rag.

CW wrote:

Road rage attacker found guilty

A violent thug who used his car as a weapon to mow down a cyclist in a road rage attack faces jail.

The furious 19 year old screamed that he was going to run down the cyclist . before using his car to ram him off the road, the court heard

The 58 year old BT engineer’s right hip disintegrated under the force of the fall.

C, who has previous convictions for assault and violence, was fond guilty of causing grievous bodily harm and dangerous driving at Basildon Crown Court. – but was acquitted of intending to cause horrific injuries.

The judge told C: “You must be under no illusion, anybody who uses a car as a weapon goes into custody. You must be prepared for that. “

Earlier the court was told of the moment Mr R, who had taken up cycling after a heart bypass operation, thought he was about to be killed:

He said: “The driver said “I’m going to run you down!”. I thought, well it’s just hot air, but when I got about 50 yards up the road I heard a loud noise behind me.

‘”I was absolutely terrified. I thought – he’s going to kill me, he’s going to reverse and finish me off. I thought I was going to die.
“I remember trying to crawl to the kerb, but I could not move. The pain was excruciating”

Mr R was rushed to hospital, The keen cyclist spent 9 days with his leg in traction and still has to undergo therapy after the attack in September 2008. He has been unable to cycle since.

Trouble flared when C’s girlfriend screamed at Mr R from the passenger window as we was riding home on a Sunday afternoon. C – who is on medication to treat his anger management problems – then lost his temper when he saw in his rear view mirror the cyclist give a two fingered gesture. He pulled over and waited to remonstrate with the cyclist.

Giving evidence, C admitted intending to knock Mr R off his bicycle but insisted did not want to cause serious injuries.

He said: “I was quite offended that my girlfriend screamed at him and he was swearing at me.

“My intention was to knock him off his bike, but I really did not think he would get as hurt as he did. I thought he would just get some cuts and bruises, but not have a broken pelvis and end up in a wheelchair. I just thought, you know, he would just get a grazed knee or something. That he would brush himself down and carry on.

“Mr R went into the middle of the road. He had blocked my path, so I was angry. I just wanted to give him a little nudge.”

Prosecuting, Catherine M said: “When you aim a car at the back wheel of a bicycle, you know full well that yo intend those injuries to be caused”

C denied saying he intended to run Mr R down. In a police interview read out in the court, C told police officers: “I was angry but I wasn’t planning anything. I just wanted to say “we were only having a laugh – where’s your sense of humour?”

He added: “I’ve had problems with my anger for some time now.. The reason I am so desperate for some help is because as I am getting older . I feel my fuse getting shorter. Sooner or later I will end up really hurting someone”

C will be sentenced on May 11.

Blimey.

:shock:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 06:04 
Supporter
Supporter

Someone with what in new-speak is called "an anger management problem" - in old-speak some one who lacks self control and shows a psychotic disregard for other people - should not be allowed a driving licence. COAST is all very well but a proper appreciation of the responsibilities attended upon driving a motorcar it is useless.

That appreciation comes from deep within and some people will never have it. The current driving test is entirely about the mechanics of driving which is why it is inadequate. Applicants for a driving licence should be given a psychological examination to ensure that they have the right attitude to driving.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:40 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Someone with what in new-speak is called "an anger management problem" - in old-speak some one who lacks self control and shows a psychotic disregard for other people - should not be allowed a driving licence. COAST is all very well but a proper appreciation of the responsibilities attended upon driving a motorcar it is useless.

That appreciation comes from deep within and some people will never have it. The current driving test is entirely about the mechanics of driving which is why it is inadequate. Applicants for a driving licence should be given a psychological examination to ensure that they have the right attitude to driving.

Oh I agree this guy should never have had a licence and must have has sufficient "cool" when taking his L-test.

C also stands for Courtesy and Consideration but it becomes a stutter if we mark up as CCCOAST.. we use C O A _A_ S T on the SAC mark sheet .. but the DIS is widened up to include Consideration.. Courtesy.. Compliance (with the law :wink:)

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.