PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 04:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Daily Mail

Quote:
Fastest ever electric bicycle will have commuters 'rocketing' to work

By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 6:49 PM on 13th May 2009

Cyclists could soon be powering past traffic on the fastest ever electric bicycle which features a 'rocket boost' button.

From next month, the new push bike which can reach speeds of 20mph is expected to be ridden by hundreds of cyclists on their way to work.

The new creation will sell for £2,000 and comes in two models - one for the lazy commuter who prefers not to pedal at all and another which gives an added motorised boost as the rider pedals.

However, the bike may not be suited for long commutes as the battery lasts for just 20 miles and takes five hours to recharge from a mains plug

The vehicle's manufacturers claim to have bypassed the need for road tax and insurance by preventing the bikes from travelling above 15mph.

With more torque and greater acceleration than any other electric bicycle, the creators of the A2B Metro and the A2B Hybrid believe the machines can convert commuters to a "greener" mode of transport.

Julie Farrington, from manufacturer Ultra Motor told the London Evening Standard: 'It is a product people are really excited by because of its quality.

'In the past, electric bikes have been prototypes because the technology has not really been there - but now the technology has progressed enough to mean it is a more viable option.'

The popularity of electric bicycles has been growing, with 21 million sold in China last year.

In Germany power-assisted bicycles are the single largest category of bikes sold.

But Charlie Lloyd, cycling development officer from the London Cycling Campaign, was sceptical about whether bike users would follow the trend.

He said: 'The disadvantage is that you have to charge it and the battery tends not to last very long if you go fast and push them hard.

'Plus they are much heavier than a bike and three or four times as expensive.'

There was confusion over whether the new bicycle would comply with UK legislation because of the 'boost' button - giving it a top speed of 20mph.

The Driver and Vehicle and Licensing Agency said bikes over that speed needed licences.

However, the Department for Transport said as long as the bicycle was not ridden faster than 15mph on a public road, no law would be broken.

A spokesman said: 'An electric motor on a bicycle must not be able to propel the machine when it is travelling at more than 15mph.

'If it does not comply to this restriction it will need to be registered, insured and is subject to Vehicle Excise Duty and so must display a tax disc.

'The rider will need an appropriate driving licence and will have to wear an approved motorcycle safety helmet.'

Quote:
A spokesman said: 'An electric motor on a bicycle must not be able to propel the machine when it is travelling at more than 15mph.

'If it does not comply to this restriction it will need to be registered, insured and is subject to Vehicle Excise Duty and so must display a tax disc.

'The rider will need an appropriate driving licence and will have to wear an approved motorcycle safety helmet.'

I find it strange that you can go as fast as you like on a normal bicycle, and not have to apply with the above legislation. I also wonder what they'll do with all those batteries? Waste of money if you ask me.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 07:50 
Supporter
Supporter

Quote:
I find it strange that you can go as fast as you like on a normal bicycle, and not have to apply with the above legislation.

Why on earth do you find it surprising that bicycles do not have to comply with legislation appertaining to mechanically propelled vehicles?

Quote:
Waste of money if you ask me.

Quite agree. With most electric bikes the extra power generated by the motor is barely sufficient to offset the weight of the batteries.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 08:47 
User

those trousers arent going to stay white for very long :P

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 14:59 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
Why on earth do you find it surprising that bicycles do not have to comply with legislation appertaining to mechanically propelled vehicles?

ROFL :)

Sorry ed :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 16:48 
User

my average speed on my ride to work this morning was 15.9mph .. naughty me.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 19:59 
User

Am in training for a charity ride - I've been achieving a steady 25 mph on an average average ride :P :P :P

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 03:28 

A motorised pedal-cycle, eh? :scratchchin: What an interesting idea.

This is the stupidity with class restrictions. Let's get rid of VED and registering and numberplates and all that nonsense.