Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 00:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:55 
User

Interesting letter

CW reader in letter wrote:

Once again, cycling to work in central London, I was appalled to find the pedestrians at a crossing - where a green light was telling them to cross, and all the vehicles had stopped - hesitated until I glided to a standstill on my bicycle before the halt line.

My experience is that pedestrians do not expect cyclists to behave as the rest of the trafficand obey the Highway Code which is the appalling bit

Lately in London there is a movement to remove the red lights and other control/safet elements in favour of a "shared space" style environment whereby all road users whether on wheel or on foo look out for each other, with the interests of the most vulnerable (pedestrian) being paramount.

Apparently this new traffic management philosophy works well on the Continent with less urban clutter, improved average traffic speed and fewer pedestrian deaths/injuries,

It would indeed be ironic of moves towards a "shared space" in London were delayed because cyclists were seen to be the "unreliable element"

Bicycle riders a road users do deserve special careand attention because they are more vulnerbale than the metal clad motorist. At the same time they owe a duty of care to pedestrians, and to obey traffic signals which clearly give right of way to them. Otherwise as a class - cyclists risk being disregarded as "stake holders" in the whole road safety debate.

Which means I am talking to all those bike riding Spam that pedal through a pedestrian ligthsor crossings whilst pedestrians are still on them. IN the interests of the majorit of law abiding cyclists - get smart or get off your bike and buy a white van!

At least then we'll know where our real enemies are!

:shock:

Blimey :popcorn:

Writer sent via e-mail to the mag. Club rider and London commuter for over 25 years. :scratchchin:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 13:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Good bloke, but I am speechless

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 16:11 
Gold Member
Gold Member

With all the posts on here about pedestrians (and I paraphrase here) having carte blanche to walk out into the road without looking this puts a different perspective on interaction between different road users.

The cars stopped. The pedestrians were scared of the cyclists. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 17:42 

Quote:
CW reader in letter wrote:
Once again, cycling to work in central London, I was appalled to find the pedestrians at a crossing - where a green light was telling them to cross, and all the vehicles had stopped - hesitated until I glided to a standstill on my bicycle before the halt line.

My experience is that pedestrians do not expect cyclists to behave as the rest of the trafficand obey the Highway Code which is the appalling bit

Lately in London there is a movement to remove the red lights and other control/safet elements in favour of a "shared space" style environment whereby all road users whether on wheel or on foo look out for each other, with the interests of the most vulnerable (pedestrian) being paramount.

Apparently this new traffic management philosophy works well on the Continent with less urban clutter, improved average traffic speed and fewer pedestrian deaths/injuries,

It would indeed be ironic of moves towards a "shared space" in London were delayed because cyclists were seen to be the "unreliable element"

Bicycle riders a road users do deserve special careand attention because they are more vulnerbale than the metal clad motorist. At the same time they owe a duty of care to pedestrians, and to obey traffic signals which clearly give right of way to them. Otherwise as a class - cyclists risk being disregarded as "stake holders" in the whole road safety debate.

Which means I am talking to all those bike riding Spam that pedal through a pedestrian ligthsor crossings whilst pedestrians are still on them. IN the interests of the majorit of law abiding cyclists - get smart or get off your bike and buy a white van!

At least then we'll know where our real enemies are!

Well said, that man. Not all white van drivers are idiots though, although I know what he means... ;-)

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 19:12 
User

It;s why I buy CW each week :bow: C+ .. I buy every other month. I prefer CW as it's more down to earth. What CW pubishes .. C+ picks up on two months later :lol:

CW publishes fairly overall as regards reader letters. I post up various articles which I HOPE inspire constructive thought. Ted uses MEN etc as sources for discussion. Vrenchen will look to abroad to compare. The three of us (me .. Ted .. Vrenchen) active on this board hope to get folk thinking a lot. :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 17:02 

Quote:
Otherwise as a class - cyclists risk being disregarded as "stake holders" in the whole road safety debate.

Shouldn't we be getting away from having "classes"? We're all people trying to get somewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 19:45 
User

malcolmw wrote:
With all the posts on here about pedestrians (and I paraphrase here) having carte blanche to walk out into the road without looking this puts a different perspective on interaction between different road users.

The cars stopped. The pedestrians were scared of the cyclists. Hmmm...

Would it suprise you for me to say I think most cyclists travel way too quickly and are too willing to assume if a ped steps out it won't be their fault if they knock them for six?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 08:08 
Life Member
Life Member

graball wrote:
Well said, that man. Not all white van drivers are idiots though, although I know what he means... ;-)

That disappointed me. He started off so well, accepting that cyclists, like all road-using groups (and people in general) have a bad element amongst the sensible law abiding mass that people apply to the whole group... :thumbsup: then ends the letter with a rhetorical cheap pop at one such group :thumbsdown: