Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 08:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 08:24 
User

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_a ... 604505.ece

Err.. so I did not really need the snip after the latest twins after all then :shock: :? :?

Me family jewels! :hissyfit:

Times wrote:
From The Times June 30, 2009

Male elite cyclists and triathletes at serious risk of fertility problemsMark Henderson, Science Editor, in Amsterdam
Male cyclists who spend too long in the saddle risk damaging their sperm, research has suggested.

The gruelling training regimes followed by elite cyclists and triathletes, who spend many hours on the road and cover hundreds of miles a week, may lower the quality of their sperm to the point at which they suffer fertility problems, a study of triathletes in Spain has found.

The constant pressure and friction of the saddle against the groin, raised temperatures from tight-fitting Lycra and intensive exercise, as well as the stress of pushing the body to its limit, may all contribute to sperm damage, scientists at the University of Córdoba said.

The effects can be so marked that Diana Vaamonde, who led the research, said professionals might want to consider freezing their sperm at a young age to protect their fertility.

Recreational cyclists, however, are unlikely to be doing their chances of fatherhood much harm: the negative effects kick in only with a weekly mileage of about 300km (190 miles) at high intensity.

Sperm experts agreed that normal cycling activity is unlikely to be hazardous. Allan Pacey, senior lecturer in andrology at the University of Sheffield, said: “It is important to stress that even if the association between cycling and poor sperm morphology is correct, men training for triathlons are spending much more time in the saddle than the average social cyclist or someone who might cycle to and from work.

“There is no evidence that men who ride a bike are less fertile than other males. Indeed, if you look back in our history, only 40 years ago cycling was much more common and there is no evidence from that time that men were less fertile. In fact, quite the contrary: the postwar baby boom proves that.”

In the study, which was presented yesterday at the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology conference in Amsterdam, Professor Vaamonde’s team investigated 15 triathletes in Spain, all of whom competed at national or international level. The scientists examined their sperm quality after three days of sexual abstinence, and compared the results against details of their training regimes.

While the intensity of the athletes’ running and swimming training had no impact, there was a clear correlation between cycling mileage and sperm quality.

Professor Vaamonde said the findings were likely to be applicable to anybody who trains on a bike at such a high intensity, not just to triathletes. “We can conclude that a high cycling volume, especially when it’s above 300km a week, can be detrimental to sperm morphology,” she said. “Something that could be done is to have sperm frozen. That would be a safe way to preserve fertility, but when they start training they probably don’t realise the damage that can be done to their sperm.”

Three factors are probably involved, she said. Pressure of the saddle against the groin can inflict “microtrauma” on the testes. Tight cycling clothing and intense physical activity raise the body temperature, which is bad for sperm. The stress of gruelling exercise can also cause oxidative damage to sperm.

OK .. so I'm not riding like the athletes .. but fatherhood's still "gruelling exercise" :hehe:

:wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:38 
User

....ummm this is news ?... new news ? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 14:20 
User

My neighbour is an active cyclist involved in sports and serious training for endurance races. He has 4 children - or more precisely his wife has 4 children!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:17 
User

ed_m wrote:

But this is a new paper.. been "peer reviewed" :shock: :? :shock: :? :? :shock:

:shock:
Blimey. How the hell did I .. err. sire such a brood here :rotfl: OK .. so I have a sassy wife in Wildy :neko: :hehe: :twisted: :twisted: :D

Hey ed .. I just look for the funny stories which I hope kindle lively debate here. I may not always agree but reserve the right to play the thorny devil's advocate to achieve perhaps a reasoned compromise at times :)

But for the record . I'm committed to an "inter-famlly fund raising epic" set for September and just weeks before we commit ourselves to a "very peculiarly foreign way of life as far as me and Wildy are concerned". We are European. We will find Arizona right "odd" to us. But we've said it all in private to known and trusted pals off and on line by now. Mixed feelings.. excited sense of adventure..absurd and completlely shocked pleasure of the head hunting of my wife to head something "special" ... and my own scalp sought after within my own field. It gives us both a funny feeling.. and a dread of "not delivering what they expect of us" - which I also think to be a very natural human reaction on my and my wife's parts here. We think positive .. but nothing has a guarantee .. We are realists .. Realists or "existentialists" see all withobjective mindsets :wink:

But back to topic now.

I ride bike each day for about 2 hours. My wife seems happy with my "marital servicing" :wink:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 20:29 
User

ed_m wrote:
:nono:

Yeah, but Ed......................c'mawwwwwn now, own up, this is a bit close to home for you, ain't it Buddy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 21:06 
User

samandben wrote:
ed_m wrote:
:nono:

Yeah, but Ed......................c'mawwwwwn now, own up, this is a bit close to home for you, ain't it Buddy?

:rotfl:

I admit.. it appealed to my wicked sense! :twisted:

Heck .. I
I've kids who should be named after cars/duvet days/lurgy days given our "lifestyle" here :lol:

Joking apart and we never planned our brood .. just happened .. I think/hope for reason as they are all what I'd call bright and nice natured kids overal (even though we have our "moments" :wink:

Can we rely on this peer reviewed research. Read up all the stuff on caffeine.. red wind . butter v margarine.. v chocolate v whatever :popcorn:

Live life in moderated happy contentment with life. I do. My wild wife does. We are happy but still fight for the common fair played good for all our fellow folk out there. I do not think we are "abnormal" in this. I think I speak for common sense. Some appear afraid of this as we now know :popcorn:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 22:13 
User

Mad Moggie wrote:
.. red wind . ........:

Ooooh, I know that one...........coupla hours after a curry, yeah? :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 07:20 
User

samandben wrote:
Mad Moggie wrote:
.. red wind . ........:

Ooooh, I know that one...........coupla hours after a curry, yeah? :lol:

I've since found out that a particular Manchester haunt from my student days is still serving up the "suicide curry" :hehe: (Twas the one you had after a "night on the tiles" ...definitely red wind .. burpppp!)

:yikes: Me eldest is set to complete his studies in Manchester! :yikes:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 00:00 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
MM- JUST LOOKED AT YER SIG -

Now WC -next time you fight - smile - don't take the last line literally :shock: :shock: :D :D

And Ted - can see why you want to get out ( apart from the money ).

Youngest lass ,has gestational diabetes - sees maternity twice a week , to get bare minimum of insulin /test strips / etc .Last week she almost had hypo - so wanted to check to see that she'd got back to normal - she didn't have enough to self test -had to call me to bring her my test kit .At hospital all she got was shrugs( ie -not my problem)

Yesterday , Mrs B goes for cataract removal - I phoned up half an hour after time given ( they always get the time wrong ), to be told that she'd be ready to go home by time I got there -(if eye drops arrived ) .
Got there to find daughter of OAP with Parkinsons been told similar /Mrs B told me that there were others in same boat -she had even told nurses that she'd heard nurses get message that I was there -shades of no beer on brewery trip .Yet they can employ CEO's at five or six times your salary to "run " the hospital .

Time to bring in Matron and sack CEO - that would kill MRSA ,then bring in clinical director (medical man ) to run things on medical front .

The cancer is spreading - time for a Doctor to wield the knife -or for doctors to get out to avoid the plague (of incompetency )

GOOD LUCK .

Edit
(btw -you must be better at dodging the knife than me -I managed four before they cornered me and sent me to the vet :) :) )

re edit - if you're thinking of a medical thing on this post - my modus transporti till about 20 was a bikus pushi -so in terms of this theory I should considered as infertile - Mrs B's comments were that she got pregnant when I looked at her ( and no ,gents we didn't have our milk delivered ) :o :o

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 20:52 
User

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: botach

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 20:26 
User

botach wrote:
MM- JUST LOOKED AT YER SIG -

We try as a family united to look on the bright side of life and SMILE! I support Ted and his wife as a kinsman to them.

Quote:
Now WC -next time you fight - smile - don't take the last line literally :shock: :shock: :D :D

And Ted - can see why you want to get out ( apart from the money ).

Vrenchen's smile.. disarms you! You just melt - she's just so laconically laid back :lol: .
:lol:

Quote:
Youngest lass ,has gestational diabetes - sees maternity twice a week , to get bare minimum of insulin /test strips / etc .Last week she almost had hypo - so wanted to check to see that she'd got back to normal - she didn't have enough to self test -had to call me to bring her my test kit .At hospital all she got was shrugs( ie -not my problem)

Heavens. I know this proved to be a problem for Wildy this time. Poor girl was quite ill in all reality.

Quote:
Yesterday , Mrs B goes for cataract removal - I phoned up half an hour after time given ( they always get the time wrong ), to be told that she'd be ready to go home by time I got there -(if eye drops arrived ) .
Got there to find daughter of OAP with Parkinsons been told similar /Mrs B told me that there were others in same boat -she had even told nurses that she'd heard nurses get message that I was there -shades of no beer on brewery trip .Yet they can employ CEO's at five or six times your salary to "run " the hospital .

Time to bring in Matron and sack CEO - that would kill MRSA ,then bring in clinical director (medical man ) to run things on medical front .

The cancer is spreading - time for a Doctor to wield the knife -or for doctors to get out to avoid the plague (of incompetency )

GOOD LUCK .

Edit
(btw -you must be better at dodging the knife than me -I managed four before they cornered me and sent me to the vet :) :) )

re edit - if you're thinking of a medical thing on this post - my modus transporti till about 20 was a bikus pushi -so in terms of this theory I should considered as infertile - Mrs B's comments were that she got pregnant when I looked at her ( and no ,gents we didn't have our milk delivered ) :o :o

I am sure Ted will offer words of wisdom when he returns .. over this weekend per my e-mail :lol:

but to second samandben :clap:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.