Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 00:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 00:52 
Site Admin

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/skyride/london
There are a few of these to happen around the Country this year for the 3rd year.
I wonder if they Bannish ALL cars including emergency vehicles ! I would imagine not ! :)
I can understand the 'fun' element in this but what is the real purpose?

Quote:
Skyride sees Sky joining up with British Cycling to put the fun back into cycling this summer:
* Cycle round and take in the sights of Manchester, Glasgow, Leicester & London without the fumes and jams of the traffic.
* A day for the whole family gives you the chance to meet the British Elite Team, experience the live entertainment, take part in challenges and tricks and fingers crossed soak up the sunshine!
If you're not into crowds, you're a bit wobbly on the saddle or can't wait till that long, Skyride Local might be more up your street.
* These are small group rides, with our specially trained Ride Leaders on hand to give you tips on how to be a better rider and help you gain confidence behind the handle bars.
* Anyone can take part, and with everything from country paths to historical tours, there's something to suit all tastes and biking abilities.

The Mayor of London's Skyride wrote:
- 20th September
Welcome to the Mayor of London's Skyride, formerly known as the London Freewheel.

Now in its third year, this hugely popular event will give thousands of cyclists of all ages and abilities the chance to take over some of London's most famous streets - as we banish the traffic for the day.

You'll be able to pass some of London's most famous landmarks while you pedal along Victoria Embankment, against a backdrop of the Thames, accompanied by hundreds of fellow cyclists. This year's event also sees the route expanded to include an exciting new loop through the City of London, with riders passing St Paul's Cathedral and riding through the heart of city's financial district.

So hop on your bike and grab this unique opportunity to join the Mayor of London's Skyride to experience our beautiful capital city in a whole new way.
Keep checking back over the coming months as we keep you up to date with details. If you can't wait that long, this year sees the introduction of a smaller Mayor of London's Skyride Hounslow taking the concept to West London on Sunday 9th August.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 08:51 
Supporter
Supporter

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/skyride/london
There are a few of these to happen around the Country this year for the 3rd year.
I wonder if they Bannish ALL cars including emergency vehicles ! I would imagine not ! :)
I can understand the 'fun' element in this but what is the real purpose?

If people are too nervous to cycle in city traffic, giving them the odd traffic free day isn't going to do much good. The whole idea seems like the seventh circle of hell - thousands of incompetent wobbly cyclists blocking the streets.

And, as a quid pro quo, can we have a cycle free city for a day :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 09:28 
User

Quote:
thousands of incompetent wobbly cyclists blocking the streets.

When thinking of streets filled with cyclists (Like old movie footage of Chna or 1950's British midlands factory throwing out time) like the greens want us to do. I have always wondererd what the accident rate was (would be)

I would imagine that minor injuries would be common and more serious ones, even deaths, not infrequent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:59 
Site Admin

I suppose looking at Cambridge Stats may be an indication as they have one of the highest concentrations in this Country and then there is Holland of course, but then you have different culture in the mix ...

I think the simple logic of - bike to work or ? is healthier than going by car seems sensible.
I used to ride 150m a week in London and I did have a few cars bump into me, I always obeyed the rules, but as sooner or later an accident can happen and it did - and I ended up with 6 facial breaks and a wrecked bike.
It was Paul that stopped me cycling for fear of my health.

All apparent pluses have downsides.

I think some cycling and walking can be good, but on a sunny day and for leisure is one thing, but on a cold day in the ice and wind and driving rain perhaps it is no joke and the risks are much higher.

Public transport is not always the safest transport mode when we consider - that there is a pandemic about, rise in knife / mugging crime, potential bullying and intimidation too, some degree of exposure to bus accidents. I wonder how many more people get colds from waiting for ages at bus stops.
I saw a program recently that was interviewing people that had been attacked on the bus or in the street for no apparent reason. In some cases others came to their rescue but for some (on a bus in particular) no one did! I was appalled, if I had been their I would have helped. I was disgusted no one helped her.
No one wants to expose themselves to any danger, when an alternative and safer option is available by personal transport.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 00:09 
User

I wasnt particularly thinking about cyclist being hit by cars/lorries.

I was thinking about cyclists hitting each other on a "Crowded" cyclists road!

Even falling off on ones own (I do a lot of off road) is uncomfortable

The big problem is how one ends up getting tangled up with the damn thing! In a cycle/cycle collision one is likly to get tangled up with the other guys bike too! and all the others who are following!

Even a minor collision on a busy (Cyclists) road could end up pretty painful for a lot of people.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 22:38 
User

Ahh.. it appeared to be a fine day in Manchester - per my other post here. Sorry. Perhaps I should have added to this one. Did not read or think. Excuse - still a bit "travel weary to jet lagged!" :lol: Wildy and the kids are zonked out and fast asleep for once :lol: which has given me a free evening to watch our Trev and his cop show and set the world to rights on here :lol:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.