Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 20:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 22:33 
User

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ty_streets

Sadly - was still abroad .. but they had some other cycling jamboree which I was invited to join :lol:

MEN wrote:
Cyclists take over city streets
August 02, 2009

THOUSANDS of cyclists filled the centre of Manchester – as traffic was temporarily banished from some of the city's busiest streets.

Keen amateur riders, families, and first-timers rubbed shoulders with elite Olympians in Manchester's first-ever Skyride event.

Beijing gold-winners Victoria Pendleton, Jason Kenny, Ross Edgar, and Ed Clancy were joined by cyclists of all ages and abilities.

The event gave enthusiasts freedom of the city as they enjoyed six miles of traffic-free cycling.

The route stretched from Albert Square to the city's Velodrome in Eastlands, passing the Beetham Tower, China Town, and City of Manchester stadium.

Victoria Pendleton, gold-winner and world champion track cyclist, hailed the event as a massive success for the city.

She told the MEN: “It was absolutely fantastic to see. There are so many people here – it was like sardines in Albert Square at the start.

“I don't think you really get the chance to appreciate the landmarks in Manchester. There's some great architecture here and it is a really important, historic city. It should be appreciated.

“I think that these kind of events will only grow. There's no reason why we can't get another one. Last year there was only one event in London and this year there's five so next year who knows?”

Celebs taking part in the event included TV presenter and Strictly Coming Dancing star Gethin Jones and Holloaks stars Jenny Metcalfe and Gemma Merna.

The circular route started and finished outside the town hall square, which was transformed into a hub of family-friendly activities, including displays by BMX stunt riders and cycle speed tests.

Quantity surveyor Martyn Cassidy, wife Sara, and 18-month daughter Rebecca, from Chorlton, said the event had been a big hit.

He said: “It's the first time we've had my little girl on a bike ride like this. She's been on my wife's basket. We want to get her used to being on a bike.

“I have started cycling to work and events like this prove just how easy it is to get about.”

Michelle Mehta, taking part with husband Daniel, sons Oliver and Joshua, from Wilmslow, said: “We wouldn't normally cycle in Manchester city centre. With all the traffic gone it's a great opportunity for us to bring the kids.”

Son Oliver, 12, said: “I usually just cycle around the streets around our house. It's the first time I've ever cycled on big roads like this.”

The event was sponsored by broadcaster Sky and Manchester City Council. Major roads were closed until late afternoon.

Ignore chapman in the reader comments. Apart from his - all the others? 8-)

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 17:58 
Supporter
Supporter

It is just a stunt which is unlikely to encourage people to use their bikes on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 19:49 
User

Ah.. don't be so negative :popcorn:

My kid sister Julia popped up for a couple of days' visit "at ours" - and she tells me that Manchester's bike day was successful. She also says that the CTC have placed a number of huge billboards at "strategic points" in the city - encouraging folk tp be "devils" :evil: and ride their bikes a bit more when "cool abouit town!" :scratchchin:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 21:52 
Supporter
Supporter

Successful in what sense? Surely it is too early to see how it has changed the demographics of cycling in the City.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 22:11 
User

oh ... maybw dcb.

I happen to love riding my bike as much asI love driving my "harem of pure indulgences!" :cloud9:

But ..we have to play on the fun/indugence carrot - else we'd never get another bum on a saddle.

Look.. I am against speed cams. I am also pro-cycling. I can be easy in my very Catholic eternal soul here. :lol:

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 07:18 
Supporter
Supporter

Mad Moggie wrote:
Look.. I am against speed cams. I am also pro-cycling.

So am I, though I am not Catholic. I just don't think that these events will encourage anyone who is frightened of cycling to start commuting in the city. We need cycle lanes (but not compulsory ones), cycle priority, driver and rider education. Disrupting the transport system of a city isn't going to do anything positive for drivers attitude to cyclists.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 19:31 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Mad Moggie wrote:
Look.. I am against speed cams. I am also pro-cycling.

So am I, though I am not Catholic.

I was brought up Catholic.. perhaps why I have way too many kids!:lol: However, I never do or done as the "Pope" says ... it's the rebel in me.. :wink:

Quote:
I just don't think that these events will encourage anyone who is frightened of cycling to start commuting in the city. We need cycle lanes (but not compulsory ones), cycle priority, driver and rider education. Disrupting the transport system of a city isn't going to do anything positive for drivers attitude to cyclists.

Oh I know. Tis why I am scathing over Critical Mass/nude cycling stunts and so on :roll: :bunker: (Both my sisters and brother - laong with IG's two younger GMP siblings are no "prudes".. but they've all cringed with embarrassement in Manchester's city centre on a busy shoppo Saturday on the "nude cycling days" and apparently GMP threatened to arrest for indecent exposure at this year's "non event" per the "MEN" :clap: As my sisters comment- they've seen better "family jewels" in their husbands :lol: .. and my own "darlingest" Wildy :neko: happens to think that making such a public silly spectacle over so-called claims of "vulnerability" would seem to prove the contary (cannot translate her actual words into significant English .. but her comments are spectacularly unladylike by my wife's normally reasoned standards :rotfl:)

Those stunts scare off the majority who do not want to be associated with nutters (with small knobs - per Ju-Ju :lol:)

But what we need to encourage cycling in LESS "elfinsofty spoilsports". A full commitment to road safety training from toddler age to death (from natural old age causes) - in oher words - throughout our normal lifespan. I would get folk on a bike as soon as a parent judges "child able to pedal" My own kids? They've all progressed normally from Fisher Price/Early Learning Centre pedal toys tpo tricycle to bicycle with stabilisers to "without the stabilser by age 5-6 years." We've played the Look/Listen/Green Cross Code Games with our kids from as soon as they began "talking" You can do this with simple ad hoc games/sing-along -games which you make up ad lib with your kid.. You use a child trailer and a bicycle child seat as well. This gets a child "au fait" with traffic as they have eyes.. a sponge-like brain... you'd be amazed what a child absorbs here into survival subconscious which you can then manipiulate and squeeze out the gems of their observations later.. :lol: Try it. You will be amazed and gob smacked by your child's observations here. :bow:

Hey - we agree all need more and better training for ALL of us so how we choose to travel. We owe it to ourselves .. to our peace of mind and survival as well as our duties of care and responsibilities to other folk .. so how we choose to travel.

I think I talk better sense than SCP who are only concerned with protecting their own jobs via fines..politicians are likewise and the greens? Seriously deluded on every issue per every news report penned :wink:

Cycling is not that "green". Manufacture/wholesale and retail costs of modern bikes and all the gadgets required cost the planet .. and there are some who discard a bike for the latest model for the sake of it. I still have bikes I owned as a boy. They function and I can manage to get my old steel Raleigh to 30 mph if I really work out. I do not use anywhere the same level of physical exertion on my once trendy but now superseded racy Diamondback for which I paid a small fortune in early 2004.

But hey .. we agree all need better training. How we achieve this is the wall against which we all :banghead: wrack crania.

Smilies are contagious

KEEP SMILING

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 23:19 
Supporter
Supporter

Quote:
Manufacture/wholesale and retail costs of modern bikes and all the gadgets required cost the planet

Since a bicycle costs about 5% the price of a car of comparable quality then a car must cost two solar systems. And very few cyclists would "discard a bike for the latest model". Most would sell the old model to finance the purchase of the new one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 22:06 
User

ach// it depend on the bike. I have issues with husband on his spends on this :lol:

UND OUR SMILEYS? Smile ... und the the world smiles with you.
Smiley guy seen when you read
Fine me for Safe Speed
(& other good causes..)

Greatest love & Greatest Achievements Require Greatest Risk
But if you lose the driving plan - don't lose the COAST lesson.
Me?
Je ne regrette rien
!