All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 22:12 
User

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/search/4 ... ling_safe/

It needs more than Victoria Pendleton to make cycling safe
7:40am Thursday 16th July 2009

Comments () Have your say »

Allan R in BN wrote:
IF Britain is as civilised as its Government makes it out to be, then how come Britain’s cyclists don’t enjoy the same degree of safety and respect as their continental cousins?

In August last year Olympic gold medallist and “model cyclist”, Victoria Pendleton was quoted as saying: “Drivers make my life hell. It is hard to deal with. It can get you down. It can get quite depressing”. This echoed pretty much how it is for most every other cyclist in the UK. Isn’t this why so many take to riding on the footpath or seeking to ride off-road?

So what miraculous change now makes Ms Pendleton promote the message that “cycling can be simple, safe and fun”? Where might this be? On the other side of the Channel for sure, but only off-road or on the odd traffic-free road in the UK! And certainly not when cycling to work.

If Sky and British Cycling think that by making Ms Pendleton a cycling ambassador, it will change the way Britain’s hard core of inconsiderate drivers treat cyclists, then they are both kidding themselves and leading cyclists into a false sense of security. Promoting that by increasing the numbers of cyclists we can all enjoy safer cycling, could spell disaster for many a family. Thousands a year in fact. Any promotion of cycling should not be without an equal measure of investment to deal with cyclist hates

OH for heaven's sake .. CTC say cycling's safe. It is.. if you do Bikeability and observe COAST values and Highway Code as the majority do.

Whilst the KSI rate can be improved upon - I cannot really say it shows a cyclist will die faster than a victom of a mild form of swine flu. By this I mean .. a small chance of fate based on most recent research. (Oh I admit the government reaction is akin to their ineptitude and incomprehension of fact akin to their take on speed cams :banghead:

OFF TOPIC BUT ADVICE TO ALL

As regards Tamiflu etc.- read the labels ..They are clear. :roll:

My advice now .. stay at home/ Keep warm USE Tissues ... Wash hands very often ..eat chicken broth and put citrus fruits in a blender. REST Sneeze/cough up the "Urrghh-yyy!" into hankies.. discard these by burning or popping into a nappy sack of ladies sanitory towel scenty thing.. which my wife and daughters use :lol: WASH HANDS and there are a number of waterless - kill all germ liquid washes nat less than a 99p on the market these days., I suggest the three pack Dettol foam from Poundland as great value for money by the way :lol:

I hope to help all out there. Do not be stoic. Be sensible and have a duvet day! It's more productive .. :wink:

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.