Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 19:55 
Supporter
Supporter

toltec wrote:
Do they put up warning signs to alert motorists to the TT being run?

Usually they do. And there are an many as a 100 cyclists spread out at 1 minute intervals so having seen the first one or two the driver should be aware of them.

Quote:
Cyclists on extra urban DCs are not that common so some kind of warning would help a lot, it is possible that the 19 year old driver had never seen a cyclist on the A1 and had not realised this was a possibility.

Something that should be part of their tuition??

In my experience - and I encounter a number of evening time trials in Cheshire - a time trialist on a major road, even a SC, is much less of an obstruction to a motorist than is a group of touring or training cyclists riding two abreast on a minor road.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 21:13 
Life Member
Life Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
toltec wrote:
Do they put up warning signs to alert motorists to the TT being run?

Usually they do. And there are an many as a 100 cyclists spread out at 1 minute intervals so having seen the first one or two the driver should be aware of them.

Quote:
Cyclists on extra urban DCs are not that common so some kind of warning would help a lot, it is possible that the 19 year old driver had never seen a cyclist on the A1 and had not realised this was a possibility.

Something that should be part of their tuition??

In my experience - and I encounter a number of evening time trials in Cheshire - a time trialist on a major road, even a SC, is much less of an obstruction to a motorist than is a group of touring or training cyclists riding two abreast on a minor road.

It is not mentioned if there were clear signs, if so the court's decision becomes quite obvious really especially if she would have passed other cyclists already. As far as tuition goes really isn't this a case of COAST? The problem is an appreciation of all of the possibilities for something to go wrong or surprise you really seems to come with age and experience not initial training. A younger/newer driver is not going to have the time or spare thinking capacity to take on some of the subtler aspects of driving until they can handle the basics easily. Too much/wide training leading up to the test may just be counter productive, this would depend on the driver's ability and dare I say intelligence though. Perhaps the price of the test should include an extra couple of hours tuition to be taken within the first couple of years with a written assessment given to the driver suggesting further action as necessary. Taking the lessons would not be compulsory, however since you have already paid for them...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 23:45 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Competitors like to compete on fast dual carriageways because they gain speed from the wind of passing cars. Some of the more ambitious ones try, against the rules, to increase this advantage by forcing overtaking vehicles to pass them more closely. That obviously puts hem at greater risk of a, usually fatal, acident.

I'd be very surprised of any of the above applied to anything but a tiny percentage of those taking part, if at all.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 00:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
In my experience (and I'm only a sixty year old fart -so what would I know :( ) - if you come upon more than one cyclist in Hi vis on any sort of road - chances are there'ssome event going on .So ,what do you do - look out for them ,and ( as the bible says ) DO UNTO THEM AS THEY'D LIKE THEM TO DO TO YOU .

SIMPLES :D

( And BTW - COURTESY COSTS NOWT)