Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 01:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 07:25 
Supporter
Supporter

Ernest Marsh wrote:
Hmm. If it is leather and it say BROOKES on the back, it's a saddle. Everything after that is a SEAT.

If it is leather and it say BROOKES on the back it is an instrument of torture better than anything that the Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition could come up with :evil:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 21:58 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
If it is leather and it say BROOKES on the back it is an instrument of torture better than anything that the Tribunal of the Holy Office of the Inquisition could come up with :evil:

To be fair, it's only for the first three months whilst it wears in to your arse (or your arse wears in to it which I think is a more likely way round).

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 08:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Unless they have a new range, I don't think putting a smelly old piece of leather on an all-singing all-dancing modern bike would look right somehow :D A bit like grandad with an iPod. :lol:

You right though, once they bed-in they're meant to be great but I was always lead to believe it takes ages..

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 08:41 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Unless they have a new range, I don't think putting a smelly old piece of leather on an all-singing all-dancing modern bike would look right somehow :D A bit like grandad with an iPod. :lol:

You right though, once they bed-in they're meant to be great but I was always lead to believe it takes ages..

That's what "Saddle Soap" was for!
I once bought a side saddle which was nailed to a barrel - it was dried out, faded and stiff as a board.
All I wanted was the barrel, so I gave the saddle to a young girl who wanted a pony and was working at stables to save up for it - partly just for fun.

However two months later, she brought it round to show me, and it was like new leather - brown and supple - all down to hours of saddle soaping! She told me it was worth about £100 to somebody who wanted one - I'd only paid a tenner for the whole kit!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 09:29 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ah yes, I remember using that on my M/C leathers back in the 70s :cloud9:

I wonder if it would work on my old face. Could save me a packet in Garnier Vital Restore :D

Cycling through grotty air at 20mph every day plays havoc with my crows feet. I'm turning into my avatar :D

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 18:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well, I got there eventually...

I got fed up of waiting for the voucher so the manageress kindly, and trustingly, let me have it now if I left them a cheque for the full amount.

If she doesn’t receive the voucher in two weeks she’ll cash it in. If it arrives some time after that then she will reimburse me and accept the voucher in payment. If I get it to her before then she'll rip my cheque up.

There’s no assurance on her side that I couldn’t just cancel the cheque if I was a rogue, so it was very nice of her and it gave me a warm fuzzy feeling that there are still some nice people out there. Image

I have a debit card which she could have asked for, which will guarantee up to a miserly £50, but she didn’t even bother with that. I will write her a letter thanking her later.

So anyway, I’m a happy camper and I’ve also got next week off work. :D Can I get to yours in a day from Birmingham Ernest? :P You up for Lands End to John-O-Groats ed? :D

There was no-one around to take the picture for me so I couldn’t do the wheelie bit but I got the silly wig on; even sillier since England lost. (That’s what it’s meant to be).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 18:43 
User

A science picture there Tone! :lol: An artist would not have cut your feet off - unless it was above the knee! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 19:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ernest Marsh wrote:
A science picture there Tone! :lol: An artist would not have cut your feet off - unless it was above the knee! :roll:
:lol: Hey! You try perching a camera on a holly bush with the timer going and see how well you do :D

Personally, I think it's art because of the model. That's my good side btw :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 20:04 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Hey! You try perching a camera on a holly bush with the timer going and see how well you do :D

But that is my point - it is science! Perching uses physics (balance) to make it possible, while the dense nature of the holly bush involves biology! :D
As for the timer - I presume it uses the electronic derivative of the 555 ic timer - electronics not art! :hehe:

As for the model, you obviously spend too much time in the city - my legs are at least mildly tanned! :sunny: :rotfl:
Maybe Damian Hirst could use you as a model.... :yikes:

I just noticed something.... :banghead: :headbash: TWO wall banging smilies! :scratchchin:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 20:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:lol:

I'm composing one for that other thread Ernest but I'm busy trying to tone it down at the mo because what I have written so far makes me look like a nut, or maybe an undiscovered artist :D

I used to have a handle on life but mine fell off. I'm not completely mad, some parts are missing. I had an IQ test recently, it was negative.

:P

Going out on my bike again now; tired but it's a lovely evening...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 21:53 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:

Then spare me your bad side :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 21:55 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
:lol: I'm composing one for that other thread Ernest but I'm busy trying to tone it down at the mo because what I have written so far makes me look like a nut, ...

Truth will out :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 16:14 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

Then spare me your bad side :D

Somebody told me not to worry - he spends most of his time sat on it!