The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 09:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jon Snow's cycling.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 20:30 
User

A pearl of wisdom from the wail.

:gatso2: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... afety.html

Last edited by CJG on Tue Jul 27, 2010 16:49, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Jon Snow's cycling.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 20:36 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

"But trangressions by cyclists cause so little risk compared with those by motorists that they don't really matter." :roll:

Tell that to Rhiannon Bennett and Gary Green.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 00:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
PeterE wrote:
"But trangressions by cyclists cause so little risk compared with those by motorists that they don't really matter." :roll:

Tell that to Rhiannon Bennett and Gary Green.

Or a bit closer to home - couple of years ago , Mrs B had her first cataract op - and a few days later we went into Specsavers to find out when she could get new specs . On the way out - she was nearly hit by yoof on bike - as she stepped out of shop - one eye bandaged ,the other still needing glasses .We walked to the council car park , to have to jump out of the way of another yoof riding up the pavement .Neither of course exceeding the speed limit , but could have done series damage to any pedestrian on the pavement .I often wonder the reaction of the authorities if i was to carry a walking stick and plant it in the front wheel of these yobs .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 08:31 
User

quite likely some unforgiveable misdemeanours there.... although they fail to mention the biggest & most obvious one (i'll let you guess).
and some conveniently ambiguous photos:

ONE - Is that a cycle rack in the background ? he's clearly just pushing off, ok technically naughty but how many people wouldn't/don't scoot along the pavement ot the nearest drop kerb
THREE - Don't know if he can trackstand, which is what i'd do in that situation but either way he could be slowing/stationary & half a second before or after putting a foot down.
FIVE - Could be about to stop ?
SIX - Not very clear who the (temporary) light is for, judging by the blue sign on the bagged traffic light he's actually entering a cycle lane.
SEVEN - Oh yes that man looks terribly annoyed doesn't he ?
THREE also appears to be just before SIX, you can see the bagged lights & blue sign (and another cyclist) behind the ambulance, so possibly he's already on a cycle lane or toucan.

(oh and it's clearly a hybrid not a mountain bike :whome: :lol: )

Last edited by ed_m on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 08:34 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I was discussing this in the office the other day and, with one or two exceptions, people did not actually know it was illegal to cycle on the pavement. Maybe something that could do with a Public Information Film :twisted:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 09:08 
User

PeterE wrote:
I was discussing this in the office the other day and, with one or two exceptions, people did not actually know it was illegal to cycle on the pavement. Maybe something that could do with a Public Information Film :twisted:

Given a choice between spending money on a public information film about not cycling on the pavement and not using your mobile phone whilst driving I know which I 'd choose!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 16:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
PeterE wrote:

Given a choice between spending money on a public information film about not cycling on the pavement and not using your mobile phone whilst driving I know which I 'd choose!
:yesyes: On your side there bud :)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 18:05 
User

weepej wrote:
PeterE wrote:

:gatso2: And so do I for that matter. Firstly, a few weeks ago, I was out walking on the Antrim Road, ner the junction of the Cavehill and Limestone Road when I encountered two prize idiot cyclists for the price of one. One was cycling on the pavement (no surprise there) and weaving in an out past pensioners, children and mums with pushchairs and myself.

Secondly, in the same area, I saw a cyclist, cycling one-handed using a mobile phone. He turned right from the Cavehill Road into the Antrim Road, Belfast and because he was not paying attention, rode his bicycle straight at a car which was stationary at a red light. If the traffic had been moving, he would've caused an accident, wouldn't he?

Thirdly, While out driving on the North Circular Road, near the junction of the Antrim Road, I could not believe the crass stupidity of two cyclists who were on the wrong side of the road..CYCLING TOWARDS ONCOMING TRAFFIC!

Fourthly, Three weeks ago, I was out walking on the Shore Road, Newtownabbey, when I took a few steps to the left to avoid a trip hazard when I heard the sudden screech of bike brakes behind me. I looked behind and a mere six inches away was a pavement cyclist. He nearly knocked me down, the idiot that he was. All he could do was say "Sorry". He shouldn't have been riding on the pavement.

Finally, I was walking in North Queen Street, Belfast a fortnight ago, when out of a side street came another one of those pavement cyclists. As if cycling on the pavement wasn't bad enough, he was cycling one-handed. What was he carrying in his right hand to force him to cycle one-handed? A CHILD OF NO MORE THAN FOUR YEARS OLD.

I don't even need to look at the Highway Code to know that all of these are indefensible.

There will now be a short pause while Weepej thinks of an excuse for any or all of these illegal acts.

Last edited by CJG on Fri Jul 30, 2010 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 18:25 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:
PeterE wrote:

The awareness that using a hand-held mobile while driving is illegal is far greater than the awareness that cycling on the pavement is illegal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 19:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why is it that whenever cycling on a pavement is mentioned it conjures up an image of cyclists going flat-out on pavements colliding with pedestrians and sending them to their death? Compare that to what's happening on the roads and it is literally negligible!

Why is it that cyclists and pedestrians using the same path works perfectly well in other countries I have been to?

Why is it that I feel could display a picture here of cyclists using a path in this country on my way to work every day and someone, quite likely a member too, will tear me a new :censored: yet I could, and will, post here a picture of a shared path between cyclists and pedestrians which is used every day by both path users in perfect harmony?

The path I mention has no division line to separate each, just like other European places, and is no wider than a conventional path. Yet it is used by hundreds of pedestrians and cyclists every day without incident adjacent to a train station and where school children use the path to get to school.

This a classic case of the few spoiling for the few IMO. That and if you put it into its true perspective of how many KSI happen on pavements because of cyclists, shouts paranoia to me, or anti cyclists because they are P-Off at the ones who take the P.

For the record: I cycle on the road 99% of the time and never jump red lights. But when the choice between staying on the road, and staying alive, when I hear and know something is coming up behind me in a 'tight' situation and I have a pedestrian-free pavement right next to me - I go up on the pavement - Okay?

If you don’t cycle, especially in or around a city, don’t give me your opinion please! Get a bike, ride, and see what you would actually do!

It’s the one and only area where I connect with weepej I think. I’m sorry that he doesn’t get the other stuff but oh well....

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 19:25 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Why is it that whenever cycling on a pavement is mentioned it conjures up an image of cyclists going flat-out on pavements colliding with pedestrians and sending them to their death? Compare that to what's happening on the roads and it is literally negligible!

Why is it that cyclists and pedestrians using the same path works perfectly well in other countries I have been to?

Why is it that I feel could display a picture here of cyclists using a path in this country on my way to work every day and someone, quite likely a member too, will tear me a new :censored: yet I could, and will, post here a picture of a shared path between cyclists and pedestrians which is used every day by both path users in perfect harmony?

In answer to your first question, It's because a pavement cyclist has the potential to kill. That can't possibly be denied.

In answer to your second and third question, shortly after I was almost knocked down by a pavement cyclist on the Shore Road, I was walking on the shared cycle track beside Belfast Lough. There are notices in a number of places stating what pedestrians and cyclists should and shouldn't do. One such rule, "Sound your bicycle bell when you approach pedestrians to give them adequate warning of your approach."

Of the dozen or so cyclists who went by me, every single one obeyed that rule to the letter - no exceptions! In my view that is an acceptable safety standard that all cyclists should strive for. And it shows that there are attentive, responsible cyclists out there.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 09:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

CJG wrote:
In answer to your first question, It's because a pavement cyclist has the potential to kill. That can't possibly be denied.
I bet you can't find more than a handful of such occurrences? It's far less than the people who get killed by coconuts each year, or hippos, so you are exaggerating for the sake of emphasis - big time! (A technique I sometimes use ;) )

CJG wrote:
In answer to your second and third question, shortly after I was almost knocked down by a pavement cyclist on the Shore Road, I was walking on the shared cycle track beside Belfast Lough.
So you weren't knocked down at all then. He sh1t you up and you hate him for it. I don't blame you. You should have slapped the moron or pushed him over to teach him a lesson in manners.

CJG wrote:
Of the dozen or so cyclists who went by me, every single one obeyed that rule to the letter - no exceptions! In my view that is an acceptable safety standard that all cyclists should strive for. And it shows that there are attentive, responsible cyclists out there.
But that is precisely the point I am trying, and failing it seems, to make. It isn't the act itself which is dangerous or abhorrent, it's the idiotic and irresponsible cyclists.

People are irresponsible on the paths just as they are irresponsible on the roads. You have got to be going PDQ to hurt someone, least of all kill them, on a bicycle. The exception does not prove the rule. I’m not condoning the act of stupid cyclists going too fast or close to others but, just like speeding, if it is done appropriately and responsibly like they do in Amsterdam or Copenhagen where I have seen it for myself - it simply is not dangerous. But I’m not even talking about cycling on the paths all the time and that’s not what I am suggesting or saying I do...

Typical scenario of the 1% I might do.. I cycle up a road which is not very wide where the traffic constantly overtakes me leaving inches of room rather than wait until there is nothing coming the other way. On occasions I hear a bus or one of those lorry’s carrying a skip coming up behind me and I think “I have a choice now. There is a pavement WITH NO-ONE ON IT which I could use until the danger is passed or I can play roulette with my life”.

I can hear chains slapping against the side of the skip ringing out like a death knell as he thunders along hitting pot holes which resound like gunshots.. He’s revving the engine! This driver is not slowing down! I can physically feel my heart beating in my chest. It isn’t a lorry that’s chasing me it the grim :censored: reaper.

This is not me exaggerating for the sake of emphasis now, this is a regular occurrence where I am which is why I say, and I didn’t mean to be rude, if you don’t have experience of this then your opinion has little merit in my eyes. I have never harmed a pedestrian or indeed ever given them concern that I am likely to clip them on the path where it is allowed, and I never will.

A lot of this cycling hatred stems from people who see cyclists flouting the rules of traffic lights and ride on pavements with complete disregard for others safety or fear IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 18:37 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:

That crossed my mind yesterday when I was on a busy narrow road and saw a cyclist riding on the pavement. Had he been riding in the road he would have been in some danger and would have caused a lot of congestion. When he met a pedestrian he slowed right sown and gave them priority. To me that, whilst illegal, is sensible and considerate behaviour. The law on pavement cycling is akin to the law on speed limits - circumstances alter cases.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 18:40 
Supporter
Supporter

On shared cycle/pedestrian route it is usually the pedestrians who are the most irresponsible. Walking on dedicated cycle areas. Walking down one side of a path with the dog, on lead, on the other. Acting with complete bemusement when a cyclist rings his bell.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 18:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
Big Tone wrote:

That crossed my mind yesterday when I was on a busy narrow road and saw a cyclist riding on the pavement. Had he been riding in the road he would have been in some danger and would have caused a lot of congestion. When he met a pedestrian he slowed right sown and gave them priority. To me that, whilst illegal, is sensible and considerate behaviour. The law on pavement cycling is akin to the law on speed limits - circumstances alter cases.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dcbwhaley wrote:
On shared cycle/pedestrian route it is usually the pedestrians who are the most irresponsible. Walking on dedicated cycle areas. Walking down one side of a path with the dog, on lead, on the other. Acting with complete bemusement when a cyclist rings his bell.

Thank you dcb :bow:

At last! Someone who understands WTF I am on about and has very obviously been there and understands!

I'm logging off now for the night because your post has made me so happy, and I want to stay that way tonight.

:drink:

PS. That doesn't mean I am always going to agree with you, but I know you know that ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 22:19 
Supporter
Supporter

Big Tone wrote:
At last! Someone who understands WTF I am on about and has very obviously been there and understands!

I'm logging off now for the night because your post has made me so happy, and I want to stay that way tonight.

Sleep well. I will take another bottle before I can get the five switch problem out of my mind.

Quote:
PS. That doesn't mean I am always going to agree with you, but I know you know that ;)

I would be dessolate if you did :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 08:16 
Supporter
Supporter

Funny thing but I see many more cars than cyclists on pavements but none of the cyclo-phobes every see to notice that. And cars on pavements are potentially more dangerous than considerate cyclists. And they are at their most dangerous to the most vulnerable pavement users - pram pushers and the wheel-chair bound - who are forced into the road.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 09:08 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
Funny thing but I see many more cars than cyclists on pavements but none of the cyclo-phobes every see to notice that.

When did you last see a car driving for any sustained distance along a pavement?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 09:16 
User

PeterE wrote:
When did you last see a car driving for any sustained distance along a pavement?

There are two places I pass regularly where the combination of a traffic queue and a left turn means that people prepared to put two wheels up the narrow pavement and then turn left, filtering past the traffic on their right make progress, sometimes for a 100 meters or so. So all it takes is a situation where it becomes advantageous to do so and quite a lot of people will take it.

And they don't do it slowly either I'll tell you (i.e. I'm on the pavement, must go as fast as I can so spend as little time on it as possible).

Regardless cars on pavements (i.e. after losing control, reversing off it, turning across it etc...) kill and injure far far more people than cyclists on pavements.

Not that that makes cycling on a pavement right, but again, if asked where to concentrate police resources I know which I'd choose.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 09:20 
Supporter
Supporter

PeterE wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
Funny thing but I see many more cars than cyclists on pavements but none of the cyclo-phobes every see to notice that.

Very rarely seen. Which is fortunate considering the danger they pose even when stationary.