Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 21:53 
User

:gatso2: More problems with cycle path users.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 94817.html

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 16:12 

As a considerate user of joint use paths such as this I'd like to chip in with the cyclists viewpoint.

Many is the time I will rig my bell a few times, shout a friendly warning, slow down, and then when I'm right on top of the person I'll see those little buds in their ears which means they are oblivious to what is going on around them.

Quote:
Police have warned that although the route is part of the national Cycle Network, it is pedestrians who have right of way.

Giving one group "right of way" over another just makes the problem worse and creates an "us and them" culture. We would all get on much better without it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 18:16 
Life Member
Life Member

Homer wrote:
Giving one group "right of way" over another just makes the problem worse and creates an "us and them" culture. We would all get on much better without it.

:yesyes:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 19:36 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Homer wrote:

Many is the time I will rig my bell a few times, shout a friendly warning, slow down, and then when I'm right on top of the person I'll see those little buds in their ears which means they are oblivious to what is going on around them.

Quote:
Police have warned that although the route is part of the national Cycle Network, it is pedestrians who have right of way.

Nice to see a "considerate cyclist" -local park where I take the dog has pedestrian areas and cycle areas (and those signs unknown to a lot of the cycling fraternity( or is it fraternasty) -red circle with a cycle inside) .We do see PCSO's in the park ,but no action ,although pedestrians on that part ,not only have right of way -cycling is banned .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 20:39 
Supporter
Supporter

botach wrote:
Nice to see a "considerate cyclist" -local park where I take the dog has pedestrian areas and cycle areas (and those signs unknown to a lot of the cycling fraternity( or is it fraternasty) -red circle with a cycle inside) .We do see PCSO's in the park ,but no action ,although pedestrians on that part ,not only have right of way -cycling is banned .

I would wager that the pedestrians allow their dogs to run around in the cyclist area without reprimand from the PSCOs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 21:42 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
I would wager that the pedestrians allow their dogs to run around in the cyclist area without reprimand from the PSCOs

To be honest that's fair enough, cyclists on such paths should be ready to cope with this, be going slowly and be ready to stop, although there is a danger a dog can run into the side of one (seen that happen, big dog too).

Although I don't like seeing dogs off leads anyway, but more because they can easily worry children and local wildlife.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 22:48 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:

Although I don't like seeing dogs off leads anyway, but more because they can easily worry children and local wildlife.

I'm more bothered by the fact that this lot of idiots can't read ,or don't have read the HC - to know that a red circle with a cycle inside means NO CYCLING -OR are they that thick .
Dogs off lead ,don't normally worry children - mine ignores most - and only bothers rats ( a vermin in our local park) and another vermin -grey squirrels- they're no worse than feral cyclists .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 23:05 
User

botach wrote:
I'm more bothered by the fact that this lot of idiots can't read ,or don't have read the HC - to know that a red circle with a cycle inside means NO CYCLING -OR are they that thick .

What about these signs:

:20: :30: :50: :60: :nsl:

OK to ignore them when one feels like it?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 23:31 
Supporter
Supporter

weepej wrote:
:20: :30: :50: :60: :nsl:
OK to ignore them when one feels like it?

OK to ignore them when it is safe to do so. Just like ignoring "no cycling" signs or riding on pavements when it safe to do so. I sympathise with Mrs Botach for nearly being knocked down by a pavement cyclist. But I bet you, like me, have nearly been knocked of your bike by a speeding motorist on more than one occasion.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 23:34 
Supporter
Supporter

botach wrote:
Dogs off lead ,don't normally worry children...

Depends whether you regard being bitten as worrisome - child or adult.
Quote:
..mine ignores most

Only worries a few? That is alright then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 08:34 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
Just like ignoring "no cycling" signs or riding on pavements when it safe to do so.

Cyclists ignoring no cycling signs contribute to the increased risk of collision with pedestrians in that area, just as car drivers ignoring speeding signs contribute to increased risk of crashes in that area.

Or indeed more cyclists riding more quickly down a canal tow path increases the danger, even if an individual cyclist bombs down it and manages to avoid others, the margins of safety in the system are eroded, unfairly.

This is not down to individual journeys but a systematic thing, i.e. a pavement that is regularly used by cyclists is more dangerous than one which is not, even if a single cyclist rides down it and there are no issues.

Again though, given the numbers involved I know which I'd prefer the police to be concentrating on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 00:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
But I bet you, like me, have nearly been knocked of your bike by a speeding motorist on more than one occasion.

mY BOLD -BUT how can you stand up and say motorist is SPEEDING -have you got calibrated eyeballs ( or perhaps you're a Special Constabull),whose been trained to estimate a motorist is speeding .Safety on roads depends on ALL factions getting on together ( or in other words -ensuring that the intentions of all are clear before any actions are taken ) .Problem is not helped by those on cycles accusing motorists of speeding . Likewise not helped by motorists not giving those on cycles sufficient clearance .But not also helped by those on cycles not making the task of getting past them safely a lot easier .But again -that's the result of the past few years of the focus ( and apparent brainwashing-as evidenced by some posting on here) on SPEED to the detriment of all other causes of accidents and ways of prevention -like courtesy ,understanding ,patience and above all others trying not to inconvenience any other road user ,irrespective of mode of transport .Perhaps a bit of "do unto others ,as you would that they do unto you " might be better than the present slogan of "do unto others ,before they do it to you ",and reinforced by a few blokes ( and blokesses) in white caps ,a la Durham .
Now factually - my dog ignores most folk - the rest -he doesn't worry - he's got memories of his past life that he's looking for - teenagers -he wanders round then , tail going daft( his last owner's granddaughter was his favourite) - any kid less than about 2/3 -he stays clear off - they want to hug him, and he don't like hugs .Little blonde girls about six - that's my youngest granddaughter's age -and he only sees her once a week -he dotes on . In fact the only two things he might worry are rats and squirrels - but as he's a cairn terrier -that's natural - bit like you ( as far as I can judge ) jumping to conclusions ,without proof .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 07:04 
Supporter
Supporter

botach wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
But I bet you, like me, have nearly been knocked of your bike by a speeding motorist on more than one occasion.

The argument holds up just as well if you remove the word speeding. A word that I use to mean travelling too fast for the conditions and not to mean exceeding the statutory speed limit. A cyclist doesn't need "calibrated eyeballs" to be aware that the overtaking motorist is going fast enough to cause him problems.

As for dogs. It is in the canine nature to investigate people, to sniff them, lick them, paw them. To many people, especially those who have painful encounters with dogs, that behaviour is disturbing - even frightening. To allow a dog freedom to do those things in public is highly antisocial. Much more antisocial than careful pavement cycling.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 09:17 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
To allow a dog freedom to do those things in public is highly antisocial. Much more antisocial than careful pavement cycling.

A free-for-all of an activity is going to be much more antisocial than anything else done in a "careful" manner.

To allow cyclists freedom to bomb along pavements in public is highly anti-social, much more anti-social than careful dog walking. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:26 
Supporter
Supporter

Steve wrote:
dcbwhaley wrote:
To allow a dog freedom to do those things in public is highly antisocial. Much more antisocial than careful pavement cycling.

A free-for-all of an activity is going to be much more antisocial than anything else done in a "careful" manner.

To allow cyclists freedom to bomb along pavements in public is highly anti-social, much more anti-social than careful dog walking. :wink:

True. But my contention, based on my experience, is that there are many fewer anti-social cyclists than anti-social dog owners. Botac's spleen is generated by one incident where a member of his family was nearly hit by a cyclist. My spleen about dogs is due to members of my family, including myself, being actually attacked by dogs and requiring hospital treatment.