The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 17:57 
Site Admin

Road CC Here
road cc wrote:
Present your cycling safety ideas to policymakers

Is there a burning cycling safety issue that you feel could easily be rectified if only someone would listen to your iedas? Here’s your chance to put your thoughts to an audience of professionals who are in a position to do something about it.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) has issued a call for papers for its 76th annual gathering of road safety researchers, practitioners and policymakers. Even if you are not a professional in the road safety arena, you can still submit a 500 word abstract to the charity with a view to making a presentation to the RoSPA congress in Bristol next February.

Potential speakers are being invited to outline presentations that particularly focus on road safety in the new economic climate and RoSPA is also seeking views on whether there really has been what it refers to as a “war on motorists” and, to this end, has invited papers on driver behaviour.

So while the focus may be primarily on academics and professionals, RoSPA is also happy to hear from “real world” road users who can offer road safety insights based on personal experiences backed up by reliable evidence-based research.

The issue of speed camera switch-offs is one that many cyclists feel strongly about and one which RoSPA itself has highlighted as local authority budget cuts start to bite.

Duncan Vernon, RoSPA’s road safety manager for England, said: “Difficult decisions about which important road safety activities to reduce are being faced across the country. In some areas, cut-backs to speed cameras are being considered or there is a question mark over continuing with local safety camera partnerships at all.”

Perhaps you feel you could make a compelling case for the continued use of speed cameras or for the adoption of other measures to make the lives of cyclists in Britain safer. If so, this could be your big chance.

Abstracts of up to 500 words should be sent to Kevin Clinton, Head of Road Safety, RoSPA, 353 Bristol Road, Birmingham, B5 7ST or to kclinton@rospa.com by September 24. RoSPA will cover the accommodation, meal and travel expenses of speakers attending the congress.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 18:57 
Life Member
Life Member

Quote:
The issue of speed camera switch-offs is one that many cyclists feel strongly about and one which RoSPA itself has highlighted as local authority budget cuts start to bite.

:?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 20:28 
User

Johnnytheboy wrote:
Quote:

It encourages lawlessness on the roads. It's not hard!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 20:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Quote:
Perhaps you feel you could make a compelling case for the continued use of speed cameras or for the adoption of other measures to make the lives of cyclists in Britain safer. If so, this could be your big chance.

There you go Weepy -how about the local authorities putting the same energy into DEFENSIVE cycle training from an early age as was put into cameras . As a bonus ,the same awakening of keeping an eye out for problems becomes instinctive, so it could foster a good safety habit in future motorists .It MIGHT go some way to repairing the "THEM AND US " attitude on Britain's roads today between the differing groups of road users .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 21:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ROSPA wrote:
Perhaps you feel you could make a compelling case for the continued use of speed cameras or for the adoption of other measures to make the lives of cyclists in Britain safer.

I would be more happy if ROSPA had concerned itself with all road users rather than fostering the "them and us" mentioned by Botach.

As for other measures... Well, discouraging people from doing something as dangerous (per mile travelled) as cycling would be a start! :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 22:19 
Gold Member
Gold Member

malcolmw wrote:
I would be more happy if ROSPA had concerned itself with all road users rather than fostering the "them and us" mentioned by Botach.

That was the idea behind my "catch them young " idea - all education seems to work best if started at an early age . The cyclists best friend is a driver looking out for a vulnerable cyclist . Get them cycling young, and they get the idea of how vulnerable they are - so when they become drivers ,they are aware of the problems . They've got a lot more years road safety training,and road expertise . They don't ( hopefully ) look at cyclists as some inferior race , but as something they once were ,and remember how grateful they were for respect.
It's time for the road safety program to stop the divide and rule approach, and start to realise that we should do unto our fellow road user,as we would wish them to do unto us, not just do unto our fellow road user what we think they'd do unto us, but do it first .

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 07:58 
Supporter
Supporter

1000 hours of cycling should be a prerequisite for applying for a provisional driving licence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 09:31 
User

does anyone really think that speed cameras have really had any effect on cyclist safety ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:28 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

dcbwhaley wrote:
1000 hours of cycling should be a prerequisite for applying for a provisional driving licence

I think you're sounding like a stuck record on that one, given that we've already established how totally impractical and unreasonable it is.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No, no!

It's the other way round. 1000 hours of car driving before being allowed to ride a pedal cycle.

That should get most of them off the roads. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 16:32 

ed_m wrote:
does anyone really think that speed cameras have really had any effect on cyclist safety ?

Yes, the more attention drivers give to watching speed cameras or their speedometer the less they are giving to watching for cyclists.

It's obvious really.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 18:45 
Life Member
Life Member

weepej wrote:
Johnnytheboy wrote:
Quote:

It encourages lawlessness on the roads. It's not hard!

But it's at best tangential to cycling safety. Seems to me at times that the more vociferous web-cyclists are more interested in motoring than cycling really.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 18:49 
Supporter
Supporter

malcolmw wrote:
It's the other way round. 1000 hours of car driving before being allowed to ride a pedal cycle.

1000 hours of cycling should be a prerequisite for applying for a provisional driving licence ... click ...
1000 hours of cycling should be a prerequisite for applying for a provisional driving licence ... click ...
1000 hours of cycling should be a prerequisite for applying for a provisional driving licence ... click ... :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 20:04 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Johnnytheboy wrote:
But it's at best tangential to cycling safety. Seems to me at times that the more vociferous web-cyclists are more interested in motoring than cycling really.

It will be interesting to see how many of these "cycling safety ideas" don't involve disadvantaging motorists...

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 00:20 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
malcolmw wrote:

1000 hours of cycling should be a prerequisite for applying for a provisional driving licence ... click ... :D

Only another 992 lines to write out ,dcb, before the prefect says you've done your lines, and then perhaps a smacked bum( as in boarding school) . :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 17:59 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ed_m wrote:
SFA! And I bet you feel the same too ed?

The close encounters I've had on my bicycle :x , and actual encounters :furious: , have all been at slow speed and due to a whole gamut of variables except speed. Most recently, some :censored: on a mobile phone :x I swear I thought I was going to be hit head on as he drifted on my side of the road.

Trying to stay fit and healthy while helping with congestion will be the death of me...

Oh, and excellent post on the 'catch them young' BTW Botach :clap: I could not agree more with you. :)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 21:32 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Tone wrote:

Oh, and excellent post on the 'catch them young' BTW Botach :clap: I could not agree more with you. :)

Thanks ,Tone - sometimes wonder if the idea of our countries road safety success in years gone by was that approach ,and the idea that that bloke in a blue uniform was a font of knowledge . As a kid, I saw them dole out road safety advice in schools , take cycling safety classes , then as a young motorist , dole out road safety advice ( sometimes with more than a veiled threat) ( as they did when we were kids :wink: ).Then the PC police and the time and motion lot decided that this policy was a lot of motions( Brown ones).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 08:00 
Supporter
Supporter

botach wrote:
Thanks ,Tone - sometimes wonder if the idea of our countries road safety success in years gone by was that approach ,and the idea that that bloke in a blue uniform was a font of knowledge

Unfortunately the idea that the bloke in a blue uniform is a font of knowledge is another idea - like the integrity of the game of cricket - that belongs to the past. These days there is little respect for the police and that is a problem, largely of their own making. I was brought up to respect - but not fear - the police. I was taught my Cycling Proficiency by, among others, policemen. In my early days of driving I was stopped a few time by the police for minor infringements and in each case was given, not a ticket, but a useful lecture which enabled me to improve my driving.

But since then I have seen mounted policemen ride down picketing miners; I have seen innocent protesters beaten to death with impunity by policemen: I have heard of massive police corruption; I have seen ridiculous police behaviour in the name of ant-terrorism; I have seen law enforcement become a matter of box ticking, quite separate from justice. So I no longer see the police as my "friend" but rather an instrument of state oppression. I have tried not to communicate that idea to my children as I still think that respect for the law is the foundation of a safe and equitable society. But they will, as so many others have, reach that conclusion themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 09:32 
User

dcbwhaley wrote:
But since then I have seen mounted policemen ride down picketing miners; I have seen innocent protesters beaten to death with impunity by policemen: I have heard of massive police corruption; I have seen ridiculous police behaviour in the name of ant-terrorism

This always used to happen of course, 'cept in a more conservative society a blind eye was turned far more often.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:57 
Life Member
Life Member

dcbwhaley wrote:
I have seen ridiculous police behaviour in the name of ant-terrorism...

Are you saying terrorism by ants is not a problem worth police attention?

:lol:

(He who lives by the english language dies by the english language)