Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:38

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:41 
User

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10174.html

But only if you lick them!!!

It seems that the Chinese are yet to catch up with the west in the health and safety arena.
It is not as if there are cost implications in using safe products - unless they have enormous stock piles of leaded paint!

I cannot imagine how I survived childhood - all my red and green Meccano pieces had lead based paint, and it never did me any harm!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 20:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Ernest Marsh wrote:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml10/10174.html

But only if you lick them!!!

It seems that the Chinese are yet to catch up with the west in the health and safety arena.
It is not as if there are cost implications in using safe products - unless they have enormous stock piles of leaded paint!

I cannot imagine how I survived childhood - all my red and green Meccano pieces had lead based paint, and it never did me any harm!

Think of the water pipes as well,Ernest - ( these days we wouldn't have that problem , any quantity of lead not under 5ft of concrete would end up ,in a block after being melted down, to a scrappie,on the back of a Transit). We also had the joys of a pure water supply ( almost pure acid from peat bogs). That pure that at times we got tadpoles out of the tap . These days there's warnings about acid in juice for kiddies.
No safety precautions in using red lead.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 16:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm sure most have seen this one :wink:

If you were born in the 40's, 50's, 60's & early 70's

Well done for still being here!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat and tuna from a can.
Our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.
Take away food was limited to fish and chips. No pizza shops. McDonalds, KFC or Subway. Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no-one actually died from this..
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because...
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendos, X-boxes, no channels on SKY, no mobile phones, no Internet or Internet chat rooms... WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no Lawsuits from these accidents.
Only girls had pierced ears!
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time.
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!

This could almost be a topic on its own... :roll:

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 09:14 
User

Whilst it is true that there are some enviroments where lead based paints can be hazardous (Childen WERE poisened by chewing on their cots, but not that many!) it should be remembererd that the lead wasnt used just for fun!

There is a reason why modern paint is mostly crap!