Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 13:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 21:53 
Site Admin

How skilled a cyclist are you ?
Should this type of 'run' be a good test of how capable you are for the roads ? - Just a thought.
http://www.youtube.com/v/hfo1xcnLV7E?ve ... autoplay=1

These types of downhill runs provide a great test in assessment, observations, ability and knowledge!
What type of course would a road cyclist really need and how much of this can help that ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 07:36 
User

link seems to be a motorcycling speed record ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 20:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ed_m wrote:
link seems to be a motorcycling speed record ?
Bit of a hiccup but the question's good. :wink:

I guess for starters It's similar to all means of traffic, in that you can't be too skilled. :)

When I was heavily into cycling over hills and down bomb holes I feared nothing the road presented. I could wheelie with ease and jump sideways on and off the curb while riding along, thinking one day I'm going to need to do this. Park benches were fun to mount and then leap off :cloud9:

I've lost my bottle for all that fancy stuff now :( except the wheelies :D Anyway, the cycling proficiency test is all but gone sadly. I don't hear of anyone going on them anymore if they do still operate.

So my suggestion to anyone starting out, your son/daughter, would be to go off road kitted out and make your mistakes on nature's soft 'carpet'. :)

After that, I think most people will instinctively know when to dip toe in water. It goes without saying, learn the official rules of the road so other road users aren't taken by surprise. Good manners, as my mum always said, cost nothing... :D

Oh, and try not to become too bitter towards all car drivers. (Cough)

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 21:36 
User

Big Tone wrote:
Anyway, the cycling proficiency test is all but gone sadly. I don't hear of anyone going on them anymore if they do still operate.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/bikeability/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 21:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ah yes, I've seen that before ta. :)

It's a pity you never see it advertised on telly, along with the green cross code. Too busy peddling, ('xcuse the pun), Big Brother and X Crap. :doh:

Doubless they think It's the responsibility of feckless half-witted parents..

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 15:06 
Site Admin

Sorry ! This is the link : http://www.youtube.com/v/hfo1xcnLV7E?ve ... autoplay=1