Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 02:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 13:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I couldn't resist bringing the article below to your attention. It contains all the touchstones of cycling; separated cycle paths, helmets, calls for speed restrictions, an injured cyclist, a hit and run etc. but is not about drivers.

The Times wrote:
Cyclists are calling for speed limits on a busy bike path where a woman commuter was left unconscious after a hit and run collision with another rider. Anne Tuffney, a mother of two, broke her collar bone in the crash that happened when the other cyclist clipped her front wheel as he overtook at speed. He rode on without stopping and police are appealing for witnesses to the accident on the Bristol to Bath Railway Path on July 19.

The accident is the latest in a series of incidents on the same cycle path and an online petition has now been launched calling for a 10mph speed limit during rush hour. Ms Tuffney, 49, is still recovering from her injuries and could be off work for up to eight weeks. Her life was saved by her cycle helmet. She said: “I was aware of the cyclist coming up behind me very fast. I had time to realise that he was far too close to me, when his bike collided with mine. “The next thing I remember is looking up at a sea of faces and someone removing my bike, which was tangled up in my legs.”

Ms Tuffney says she frequently has to ask riders to slow down. She said: “I have constantly shouted at people who are going to fast. I even saw two men crash head on because they would not give way to each other. “In my experience it is not yobs in baggy jeans that are the cause, it is people on their racing bikes on the way to work. Most cyclists are careful and considerate but there are a few using cycle paths like race tracks.”.

Avon and Somerset Police are appealing for witnesses to the crash. A spokesman said: “An injured person was found on the cycle path on Friday July 19. She had an injured collar bone. Police inquiries are currently on going and we are appealing for witnesses.” The online petition calls for a speed limit of 10mph at busy times and outside schools. Claire Day, who started the petition, say Bristol’s cycle paths are “mayhem” at rush hour.

All sounds familiar doesn't it.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 14:22 

Somehow, you just KNOW this is going to be a motorist's fault though! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:08 
Site Admin

When will people understand that it is riding to the conditions that is CRUCIAL than a digit. And how many cyclists have a speedo ?
All they will end up doing is have the Police book the slightly quick touring bike than stop and deal with the racing cyclists!
It is like a few reckless drivers but on bikes.
There are racing cyclists who do seem to think that they must get there as fast as possible (to beat their best time) than to ride for safety first and speed second/third etc.
No 10, 20 mph speed limit will make any difference.
S/he I hope will be found and properly prosecuted.
To fail to stop ir report the incident is disgraceful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 23:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
These seem like a lot of candidates for the granny speed checks, so perhaps now they might get round to seeng that it's not the demon car driver that's at blame, but the demon cyclist.It's BAD riding, similar to bad driving that's responsible. Not speed .