Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 16:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 21:01 

weepej wrote:
Mole wrote:
The problem is that because cyclists are harder to identify, they more often than not, don't get any fine at all. That ain't right.

But she's been found.

If you're thinking cycles are ever going to have to wear registration plates you're out of luck I'm afraid, it just ain't gonna happen.

She's "reported as having been found", I think you meant to say? Maybe she has, maybe she hasn't. I agree that it's unlikely that bikes will ever require compulsory registration. I wonder if there's any other way of making them obey the traffic rules that they're supposed to?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 08:39 

I heard that she handed herself in...a cyclist with a conscious perhaps?

I can't say they would have "found" her any other way.

She probably realises she will get no more than a "talking to"

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 09:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mole wrote:
I agree that it's unlikely that bikes will ever require compulsory registration. I wonder if there's any other way of making them obey the traffic rules that they're supposed to?

How about making cyclists automatically liable in any collision in which they are a part. That will make them more careful, won't it?

(Funny, I seem to have heard something similar to this somewhere else...)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:26 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 22:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I'm afraid from my past experience it is always the driver at fault. Years ago ,FIL was doing a three point turn in his Relaint van ,when he spotted a learner on a moped heading his way . At front ,he ,in his opinion as a biker with lots of years of experience , had plenty clearance. At rear, not enough,yet moped tried to get through that gap ,and fell off. FIL was stationery at time of impact,yet he got done for careless.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:53 
User

malcolmw wrote:
How about making cyclists automatically liable in any collision in which they are a part.

Er, the strict liability laws I am arguing for would do this in the case of a cyclist hitting a pedestrian.

malcolmw wrote:
That will make them more careful, won't it?

Er, yes, that's the point. Works on motorised vehicle drivers too.

It's the old concept of "sail before steam" basically.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:55 
User

botach wrote:
I'm afraid from my past experience it is always the driver at fault. Years ago ,FIL was doing a three point turn in his Relaint van ,when he spotted a learner on a moped heading his way . At front ,he ,in his opinion as a biker with lots of years of experience , had plenty clearance. At rear, not enough,yet moped tried to get through that gap ,and fell off. FIL was stationery at time of impact,yet he got done for careless.

Ah yes, the three point turn and reversing around a corner. A couple of things I did on my test that I'd probably never consider doing in real life cos they're a stupid thing to do in a large vehicle on our road network!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 16:56 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I’m beginning to think where I live and travel I’m surrounded by idiots because: -

As a pedestrian I walk carefully.
As a cyclist and motorcyclist I ride carefully
As a driver I drive carefully

So what’s going on that everybody else isn’t and we need legislation for everything? I think what needs addressing is education more than reinventing every damn mode of transport with ever increasing road furniture and signage and elf & safety.

The answer to everything these days is to make everything idiot proof until nature, (or rather lack of education and personal responsibility), makes a better idiot!

To extrapolate. If or when we get every bloody road down to 20mph and the KSI figures went down to just a thousand or one hundred a year, they would still want to impose further restrictions and burden the motorist instead of correcting the dumb and irresponsible behaviour of that infinitesimal minority.

That’s the absurdity of modern politics and fear of the claim culture.

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 17:52 

Quote:
Ah yes, the three point turn and reversing around a corner. A couple of things I did on my test that I'd probably never consider doing in real life cos they're a stupid thing to do in a large vehicle on our road network!

Tell me you are joking,PLEASE!
Can you honestly say that you don't find these necessary manouveres in real life???

Do you actually drive?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 18:27 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

weepej wrote:

So if you use your car to visit someone living on a cul-de-sac, how do you get out again? :scratchchin:

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 18:33 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PeterE wrote:
weepej wrote:

So if you use your car to visit someone living on a cul-de-sac, how do you get out again? :scratchchin:

He's never been in a cul de sac that wasn't big and he drives a Smart Car anyway. :doh:

Hard to see how he's going to wriggle out of this one.. Ok, he said large vehicle.

So anyone who drives a large vehicle then and he'll never hire one lest he have to do a 3 pointer. He'd also never get a job delivering for Argos, Tesco, Ocado...

You will be branded a threat to society by going over a speed limit where it is safe to do so, and suffer the consequences of your actions in a way criminals do not, more so than someone who is a real threat to our society.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 20:23 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
weepej wrote:

AH - yes ,Weepy ,your fertile imagination strikes again . It was in fact on a wide ,very quite road . NOT on a corner . Visibility was excellent ,so the rider should have considered stopping . And if you consider a Reliant Robin as a large vehicle , perhaps you might ask your guide dog to take you down the opticians in your motorised bath chair

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 20:24 

He probably believes that no one ever does 3 pt turns or reverses round corners, so the test should not include such "obsolete" manouvers.

He probably doesn't realise that they also test clutch control,steering, car positioning, observation and a few other important things as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 20:43 
User

I'd do everything I could to avoid having to do a three point turn in the road, same for reversing around a corner.

By definition if you're doing one and somebody crashes into you, pretty much it's going to be your fault (as shown above) cos you're in a silly place on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 07:32 

Ridiculous, if you are in a car and you crash into a stationary vehicle either from the side or the back, you have a lot of explaining to do before it's the stationary vehicles fault.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:58 

It does beg the question - why such a supposedly "hazardous" manoeuvre is (and has been for many years now!) a part of the standard driving test?!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 16:35 

I suppose the emergency stop is another manouvere of the test that weepy would consider dangerous and pointless.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:33 
User

graball wrote:
I suppose the emergency stop is another manouvere of the test that weepy would consider dangerous and pointless.

Where did I say that these manoeuvres should not be part of the driving test? That's right, I didn't.

I think they should be, but pretty much, in the case of the three point turn and reversing around a corner, that should be the last time they should ever be done, except in emergencies or when you have no choice whatsoever.

And don't get me started on u-turns.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:35 
User

graball wrote:
Ridiculous, if you are in a car and you crash into a stationary vehicle either from the side or the back, you have a lot of explaining to do before it's the stationary vehicles fault.

Did you read the story above about the guy blocking the carriageway that the scooterist crashed into?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 16:13 

What happened to the "being able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear" then?