It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 23:34 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
weepej wrote:
botach wrote:
WEEPY- you constantly assert that Cyclists do not run red lights.

Where?

I see people on bikes jumping red lights every day, I've even said this further up the post, where are you getting this information from that I'm saying hat no cyclist jumps red lights?

TRY THIS -THE ORIGONAL POST
Mark Blunden - Published: 28 November 2013 - Updated: 21:33, 28 November 2013

Cyclists were filmed jumping red lights by hidden cameras set up by London black cab drivers.

Their footage shows 194 out of 364 riders went through stop signals during the rush hour — just over half.

The Licensed Taxi Drivers Association said it set up hidden cameras after a series of “near misses and confrontations” between its members and cyclists. The association said cabbies put two cameras at what they said were “average” crossroads in the capital.

One was the junction of Hackney Road, Queensbridge Street and Horatio Street in Hackney, the other at the junction of Fortess Road, Highgate Road and Kentish Town Road in Camden.

Cyclists whizz past as a woman pushes a buggy across when the green man is showing The LTDA, which has 10,000 members, said each camera filmed between 7.30am and 8.30am at the end of September. In Hackney, 108 out of 170 cyclists jumped the lights, while in Camden, 86 out of 194 bikes rode through at red. LTDA general secretary Steve McNamara said two hour-long versions of the footage were available “ 100 per cent unedited” on YouTube.

He said: “We are constantly hearing from the cycling lobbying groups that cyclists who ride on the pavement, weave in and out of traffic and fail to stop at red lights are a small minority or a small rogue element. This was in stark contrast to what we and most Londoners witness every day.” Mr McNamara, who cycles in the rush hour daily, added: “What we found shocked even us. We’re not anti-cycling, we’re against the unlawful cycling brigade.”

Two cyclists jump a red light at the same time Anyone caught jumping a red light risks a £50 penalty ticket from the police. In an online survey of 1,600 cyclists by the Institute of Advanced Motorists, 57 per cent admitted jumping a red light at least once, with 14 per cent doing it regularly. The reason they gave was that they felt safer getting ahead of the traffic flow.

Mike Cavenett, spokesman for the London Cycling Campaign, said: “ Evidence shows that red light jumping causes a tiny proportion of collisions. This view is backed up by police data showing that only two per cent of London’s cycling collisions are attributable to cyclists going through red lights, while the same data shows that 68 per cent of cyclist-motorist crashes in central London have their main cause attributable to bad driving.”

can a MOD advise weepy of the dangers of his trolling behaviour.
Fact -
“We are constantly hearing from the cycling lobbying groups that cyclists who ride on the pavement, weave in and out of traffic and fail to stop at red lights are a small minority or a small rogue element. This was in stark contrast to what we and most Londoners witness every day.” Mr McNamara, who cycles in the rush hour daily, added: “What we found shocked even us. We’re not anti-cycling, we’re against the unlawful cycling brigade.”
UNLESS of course he can't read. But I'd suggest it's TROLLING ,in the face of reported facts.

If he constantly disagrees with this, then I'd suggest to Mods ,that weepy is a TROLL and needs some /more of his privileges curtailed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 00:45 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
For sure ! It's like lets have a good roundabout that does it's job then destroy it with an over control of lights that totally negate the whole point of the roundabout in the first place! D'Oh !

In case you didn't notice the same thing about roundabouts that I do.

Very few people know what to do when confronted by one.

The most common mistake (certainly on mini roundabouts) is people not giving way to other people turning right across them, sooooo often the person coming toward me that I'm turning right on continues on and are surprised when they find my one tonne of metal in front of them. I'm indicating clearly, I'm coming from their right, why are they trying to carry on?

There's little or no lane discipline, and that's when people have the faintest clue about what lane to be in, not that you can tell which lane they think they're in most of the time.

And these are so called trained drivers/riders!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 00:50 
User

botach wrote:
If he constantly disagrees with this, then I'd suggest to Mods ,that weepy is a TROLL and needs some /more of his privileges curtailed.

botach, your post makes no sense at all.

You said I've said that people on bikes never jump red lights, I asked you to show me where, you haven't, you can't, because I've not said this, in fact, I've said the opposite, I've said I regularly observe people on bikes jumping red lights.

So I'm not quite getting you here.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 09:04 

Quote:
In case you didn't notice the same thing about roundabouts that I do.

Very few people know what to do when confronted by one.

Again, we are talking about life on planet weepy. On earth (at least in the UK) people would not pass a driving test if they didn;t know roundabout procedure.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 09:07 

Quote:
There's little or no lane discipline, and that's when people have the faintest clue about what lane to be in, not that you can tell which lane they think they're in most of the time.

This is down to signalised lights which prevent the natural flow of traffic through the roundabout, by stopping traffic in one lane (pointlessly marked), usually at the point where on a properly working roundabout, they would be due to change lanes into a space which no longer exists when the lights stop every one together.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 09:11 

Quote:
And these are so called trained drivers/riders!

Or then again they could be trained drivers/riders who are being nannied by the control freaks into doing something which is un-natural, pointless, makes no sense and has no place in road safety and smooth traffic flow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 14:19 
Site Admin

malcolmw wrote:
My vote for the most dumbass things that the "experts" locally to me are installing are the vision obstructing panels on the central reservations on the approach roads to larger roundabouts. They block your view to the right so that you can't see traffic already on the roundabout. So now, reducing sight lines and visibility is a good thing.

The idea is to "make" you slow down and not maintain momentum if you can see the roundabout is clear. Doh! What next? Making drivers wear blinkers?
Are those tallish and green ? They had those on trial up here and redesigned them a few times until the started to withstand the winds! Their aim originally was to help to prevent drivers from being blinded by others headlights as they came off the roundabout ...
...makes a good case for coming over a RA as straight as possible, when using headlights!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 15:37 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
weepej wrote:
botach wrote:

You said I've said that people on bikes never jump red lights, I asked you to show me where, you haven't, you can't, because I've not said this, in fact, I've said the opposite, I've said I regularly observe people on bikes jumping red lights.

Case for prosecution , closed ,then ,perhaps, WEEPY. I've amended Weepy's quoted post to highlight his "PROBLEM " with his lack of "OBSERVATION SKILLS"

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 22:46 
User

botach wrote:
weepej wrote:
botach wrote:

Case for prosecution , closed ,then ,perhaps, WEEPY. I've amended Weepy's quoted post to highlight his "PROBLEM " with his lack of "OBSERVATION SKILLS"

Botach, your post is nonsensical.