Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 13:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 00:50 
Site Admin

Police fine more than 2,100 drivers and cyclists in London road safety crackdown
By Piers Eady - 29 Nov 2013 19:11

In three days, nearly 1,400 car and lorry drivers were slapped with penalties for offences like talking on the phone while driving and jumping red lights
No speeding: 755 cyclists were also fined for going through red lights No speeding: 755 cyclists were also fined for going through red lights

Police have fined more than 2,100 drivers and cyclists in the first three days of a major campaign to make London’s roads safer.

Nearly 1,400 car and lorry drivers were slapped with penalties for offences including talking on the phone while driving and jumping red lights.

And 755 cyclists were also fined for going through red lights, riding on pavements and cycling with the wrong lights - or even no lights.

Another 28 people were arrested for a range of crimes including assault, bike theft and drugs and immigration offences.

Operation Safeway was launched by the Met on Monday after six cyclists died on the capital’s roads in just a fortnight earlier this month.

The operation, which started on Monday, will see 2,500 officers monitoring 166 junctions and will run until Christmas.

Check out all the latest News, Sport & Celeb gossip at Mirror.co.uk http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ro ... z2m560BFfs
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook
Last night I saw a Police van pull over a cyclist who was riding on the road without a single light!
It took ages for him to stop too! With all the cars pausing behind the van it was puzzling why the cyclist didn't pull over straight away. I guess it was just not 'expected'.
I am pleased to think that some cyclists making errors are being tugged. It's about time. Shame it's taken so long to get Police back on the roads!
It just goes to show how out of hand this has got, and it is rife! Horrifying that some cyclists do not seem to know the rules of the road apply to them!
It would be nice to know of the percentage of cyclists or did and didn't stop, who were also driving licence holders too. I wonder if there is a chance that those who hold a driving /lorry (etc) licence stop ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 22:25 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Horrifying that some cyclists do not seem to know the rules of the road apply to them!

The irony of this statement on this forum is overwhelming me, help!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 03:25 
Site Admin

weepej wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
Horrifying that some cyclists do not seem to know the rules of the road apply to them!

Why do you struggle with this. We have never suggested anywhere that anyone disobey the rules of the road. This Campaign is against automated enforcement of the speed limit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 09:29 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
weepej wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:

Why do you struggle with this. We have never suggested anywhere that anyone disobey the rules of the road. This Campaign is against automated enforcement of the speed limit.

Can you say it's horrifying that some car drivers to not seem to know the rules of the road apply to them?

Those that break the speed limit, jump reds, talk on their mobile phone for instance?

Or do you really think that some people really don't understand that it's illegal to cycle through a red light whilst on the carriageway? Really?

I think they all know it's illegal, but do it anyway.

And I've seen on here many a time that if it's illegal, but it is done "safely", by many, then that's acceptable as the law is clearly wrong, is that right?