Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 06:49

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 19:20 
User

:gatso2: From the Belfast Telegraph

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 40546.html

A cyclist caused travel chaos after a phone app directed him to Britain's busiest motorway in the rush hour.

The misguided rider ended up pedalling for some miles on the southern section of the M25 in Surrey.

With drivers, and others, taking to Twitter to give their views of the man, there were long hold-ups for morning traffic on the often-clogged motorway.

One police officer :bluelight: tweeted that the cyclist had been seen between junctions 12 and 13 of the motorway. He was eventually removed from the motorway and given a £50 fine. :lol: :twisted:

Another police tweet said: "A male was looking for a shorter route to cycle home from work. Phone app sent him on motorway so thought it OK." :loco:

Another read: "Nice chap but unaware of the rules of the road, believed it OK to ride/walk on hard shoulder - struggled to see why not. :? Genuine mistake I'm sure but could have stopped at bottom of slip road! Most children know not to stray onto a motorway."

One person caught up in the delays was Hannah Leonard, who tweeted:: "My usual 40 minute commute to work took an hour and a half due to a cyclist on the M25!"

Most of those who went on to Twitter to comment had little sympathy with the cyclist, dubbing him "stupid" and "an idiot".

Oh, the irony is just soooo delicious, isn't it? :twisted: I love it when that happens. But I believe it goes to show that if you handed a cyclist a copy of the Highway Code, they'd think it was a sandwich and attempt to eat it.

What's not allowed on a Motorway? Agricultural tractors, motorcycles under 50cc, learner drivers, pedestrians and CYCLISTS!

I wonder what Weepej will say about this one?

I could tell you a couple of tales about my encounters with stupid cyclists. In fact, I think I will. Watch this thread.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 20:54 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
The police tweet shown on BBC News made my day
Quote:
Surrey Roads Police tweeted: "Cyclist stopped and after a long conversation he has been safely removed with his copy of his ticket for £50."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:37 
User

:gatso2: I have just read this in the comments relating to that particular story.

"The cyclist was riding on the hard shoulder not out on the traffic lanes so he couldn't hold anyone up."

Will you tell them or will I? Come on folks, any chance of some back up here?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:56 
User

CJG wrote:

I could tell you a couple of tales about my encounters with stupid cyclists. In fact, I think I will. Watch this thread.[/b]

If you really think it helpful.
I'm sure I can come up with just as many stupid motorist encounters.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 21:27 
Gold Member
Gold Member

And the looser when the infighting starts - yep - it's something limping into either the crematorium or the graveyard , our old friend Road safety , having been mauled by the road safety experts and now shouting "ET TU BRUTE" to those who would sooner bicker amongst themselves than see the folly of current road safety policy , which IMHO is fuelling the infighting .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 08:00 
User

CJG wrote:
But I believe it goes to show that if you handed a cyclist a copy of the Highway Code, they'd think it was a sandwich and attempt to eat it.

Oh dear, that's either ridiculous trolling or you really believe it, in which case, don't you think that's a stupid thing to say?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 20:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As I posted- there's some who instead of looking for ways to unite road users and enhance safety , look to divide. I often wonder which side you are on Weepy ,and would suggest your reply is not helping. The helped along infighting between user groups seems like news for the camera & non road safety teams to drive another wedge into those only interested in road safety, irrespective of the group.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:12 
User

botach wrote:
As I posted- there's some who instead of looking for ways to unite road users and enhance safety , look to divide. I often wonder which side you are on Weepy

Well, that's strange. CJG posts a semi-literate, sweeping childish numbskull generalisation about EVERYBODY that cycles not knowing the highway code and instead eating it when they see a copy and it's ME that's the divisive one.

Seriously, you need some perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 23:35 
User

weepej wrote:
botach wrote:
As I posted- there's some who instead of looking for ways to unite road users and enhance safety , look to divide. I often wonder which side you are on Weepy

Well, that's strange. CJG posts a semi-literate, sweeping childish numbskull generalisation about EVERYBODY that cycles not knowing the highway code and instead eating it when they see a copy and it's ME that's the divisive one.

Seriously, you need some perspective.

YOU are the one who needs perspective. Sweeping, childish, numbskull generalisation?

From the comments elated to the press article.

"What's not allowed on a Motorway? Agricultural tractors, motorcycle under 50cc, learner drivers, pedestrians and CYCLISTS! Check the Highway Code. Whether or not he was riding his wee bike on the hard shoulder makes no difference. The hard shoulder is still an integral part of the motorway and must only be used for stopping in an emergency or a breakdown."

THAT Is the Highway Code. That cyclist should not have been riding his bike on a motorway. It's inexcusable and indefensible. He should NOT have been there. He deserved to be fined for his careless stupidity.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 08:32 
User

CJG wrote:
THAT Is the Highway Code. That cyclist should not have been riding his bike on a motorway. It's inexcusable and indefensible. He should NOT have been there. He deserved to be fined for his careless stupidity.

I'm not disputing any of that.

But this? You think this is a reasonable statement?

CJG wrote:
But I believe it goes to show that if you handed a cyclist a copy of the Highway Code, they'd think it was a sandwich and attempt to eat it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 09:30 

Quote:
I'm not disputing any of that.

But this? You think this is a reasonable statement?

It's a bit like saying that, road safety would benefit by all cars having spikes on the steering wheel, I would guess.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 08:30 
User

graball wrote:
It's a bit like saying that, road safety would benefit by all cars having spikes on the steering wheel, I would guess.

No it's not.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 16:51 

yes, you are right as always,

Quote:
road safety would benefit by all cars having spikes on the steering wheel,

is pretty idiotic, isn't it?

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 16:04 
User

graball wrote:
yes, you are right as always,

Quote:
road safety would benefit by all cars having spikes on the steering wheel,

is pretty idiotic, isn't it?

Its' completely different.

The spike in the steering wheel rather than an airbag concept is a thought experiment to highlight how risk compensation might work, originally raised by a driving instructor I believe.

Suggesting ALL cyclists don't know what the highway code and would eat it if they saw it is a lazy slur.

You can't see the difference?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 21:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:

Suggesting ALL cyclists don't know what the highway code and would eat it if they saw it is a lazy slur.

?

I'll come right out and say that IMHO PEDAL MINDERS wouldn't recognise the HC if they met in a plate of soup. That's from personal observation. As far as I can see ,they think a red traffic light is there to make the place look pretty. Then again, what does a red outer, white inner with either a cycle on it's own ,or with a cycle with a diagonal bar mean? Or a white horizontal /vertical arrow on a blue background ,bounded by white outer? Or another, red circle with a white rectangle inside? Why do HGV carry warning signs about cyclists undertaking . I've never seen a pedalminder take notice of any of these.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 21:17 
User

botach wrote:
weepej wrote:

?

I'll come right out and say that IMHO PEDAL MINDERS wouldn't recognise the HC if they met in a plate of soup. That's from personal observation. As far as I can see ,they think a red traffic light is there to make the place look pretty. Then again, what does a red outer, white inner with either a cycle on it's own ,or with a cycle with a diagonal bar mean? Or a white horizontal /vertical arrow on a blue background ,bounded by white outer? Or another, red circle with a white rectangle inside? Why do HGV carry warning signs about cyclists undertaking . I've never seen a pedalminder take notice of any of these.

:clap: :clap1: :bow:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 23:36 
User

CJG wrote:
botach wrote:
weepej wrote:

?

:clap: :clap1: :bow:

Are you kidding me?

Considering I think it's 80% of people you see on a bike are also car drivers.

You think a cyclist that rides through a red light has never seen the highway code? What about a motorist that exceeds the speed limit?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 15:07 

Quote:
Are you kidding me?

Considering I think it's 80% of people you see on a bike are also car drivers.

You think a cyclist that rides through a red light has never seen the highway code? What about a motorist that exceeds the speed limit?

Ok, assuming you are dead right (as always) that assumes that up to 20% of cyclists may not have read the highway code ( I would dispute that this figure is so low considering the under 17s that cycle but we are assuming you are right...as always)...are you saying that ALL motorists that exceed the speed limit, also have not read the highway code?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 19:55 
Gold Member
Gold Member

My observation of the cyclists behaviour is based on personal observation in this town. A single trip through the local park would show that ,as one side is marked off as no cycling, and the other as dual use. The bridges over the river are narrow with a large sign , red outer with a cycle in the middle ,yet regularly I see idiots charging accross scattering pedestrians .Town centre is pedestrianised till 4 in the afternoon and a bar on vehicles except disabled/loading and cyclists. This area is one way , but I've never seen a cycle except in violation of the system ( oh, before you ASS U ME that I'm in the area illegally ,I carry a blue badge). There's no comparing the danger element between a red light and exceeding a limit , especially when 85% of traffic is doing likewise , as in the case of the light, there's plenty of warning or if you look logically at the situation, the longer a light is on green, the greater the chance is that it will change.