Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 20:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 13:10 
User

:gatso2: A pearl of wisdom from the Daily Wail. Getting down to brass tacks, a lot of cyclists have been let down badly.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -area.html

Daily Mail wrote:
Saboteurs angry at bicycles 'taking over' country roads targeted a cycling event by scattering nails, putting lives of riders in danger.

Nails were strewn along the road in a New Forest village as more than 2,000 cyclists took part in an 84-mile ride which has angered locals.

Police are investigating the incident in Bransgore, Hampshire, which saw more than 20 participants in the Wiggle Sportive suffer punctures.

Opponents of the event had put up posters listing 15 villages and towns on the route and urging residents to raise the alarm if entrants caused trouble.

New Forest East MP Julian Lewis today condemned the sabotage as 'absolutely reprehensible' and vowed to raise the matter in Government.

Dr Lewis said: 'It does not help anyone when people, however frustrated they feel, do something that could lead to a nasty accident or at the very least a nasty confrontation.

'I'm hoping the cause of the provocation will sooner rather than later be sorted out, but taking the law into one's own hands is not the way forward.

'Doing something illegal and dangerous is never the right thing to do.'

Dr Lewis said talks were taking place with Government ministers and national park chiefs to resolve tensions between residents and cyclists.

He added: 'This whole issue is absolutely being focused on by local elected representatives right up to Government ministers.

'I would appeal to the community to disassociate themselves from these actions.'

Martin Barden, director of UK Cycling Events which organised the Wiggle Spring Sportive, criticised the vandalism.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 13:24 
User

New forest residents do seem to be particularly militant about people coming and upsetting their villages (i.e. this isn't the first time i've seen them complaining about some event or other).... being an area makes (i expect) a large part of it's income from visitors & tourists seems a little counter intuitive.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 19:58 
User

ed_m wrote:
New forest residents do seem to be particularly militant about people coming and upsetting their villages (i.e. this isn't the first time i've seen them complaining about some event or other).... being an area makes (i expect) a large part of it's income from visitors & tourists seems a little counter intuitive.

The strange thing is they're not complaining too hard about the motorised traffic round there, which really does kill their horses and people, and the tourists...

http://www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/info/200 ... 02C-vldWSo

That's not cyclists killing 50 horses a year these days (down from 300 since 1964).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 20:09 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Think about it , weepy , that unless the nails are special bike sensitive ones, cars are also in danger, and it might just be the residents ( who, after all, will use the roads more and for a lot longer than a cycle event), who end up with more than one puncture.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 22:25 

ed_m wrote:

The thing is, if it's anything like the Lake District National Park, many of the inhabitants who "don't want anyone else there" will be rich already and won't depend on tourism to make their living.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 07:12 
User

Mole wrote:
ed_m wrote:

The thing is, if it's anything like the Lake District National Park, many of the inhabitants who "don't want anyone else there" will be rich already and won't depend on tourism to make their living.

no doubt.... and i'm sure they'll be the first to complain when their local pub / village shop has to shut due to lack of trade :x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 09:21 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

The report I saw in the Telegraph said there had been a substantial reduction in visitor receipts on the day of this event.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 00:09 
Site Admin

From what I recall of the Boxhill residents re cycling events it is that they are told the event is taking place and they have no voice whether it be for or against, or even to make adjustments to help them. They become unimportant and the local council make all the decisions and ignore the locals, with no consultation, so it is no wonder that residents can feel resentment towards whatever event it might be.
No lone likes to feel unimportant and discounted.
Pedestrians are vulnerable to tack damage too of course.

--
With the recession we travel less far, less often, and so are exposed to less danger but that means too that the lower animal deaths will have also seen a reduction due to this too.
They could part fence in the animals so there are 'crossing areas' with animal barriers to prevent road section entry if you see what I mean? But I dare say they don't want to 'restrict animal movement'. Making alternative roads more attractive may help traffic chose alternative routes.
Research the accidents thoroughly and find out why they happened and apply sound science and engineering to help resolve the matter.
Are they mostly happening at night for example ? However this topic is not about this interesting side line.
--

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 18:16 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
From what I recall of the Boxhill residents re cycling events it is that they are told the event is taking place and they have no voice

Sounds like you're siding with the tack sprinklers there!

Driven to it were they?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 20:49 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
weepej wrote:
SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
From what I recall of the Boxhill residents re cycling events it is that they are told the event is taking place and they have no voice

Sounds like you're siding with the tack sprinklers there!

Driven to it wher they?

No , WEEPY - THE folks most bothered just walked or cycled, and having scattered the tacks ,knew how to avoid them, leaving you to head off to repair a puncture, with a stream under the bridge to show you where the punter is.