It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 05:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 22:57 
User

:gatso2: Belfast Telegraph -

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 71056.html

07 March 2014

Belfast Telegraph wrote:
As many as 93% of motorists admit it is sometimes hard to see cyclists while driving, according to a survey of nearly 18,000 drivers.

More than half (55%) of motorists are often "surprised when a cyclist appears from nowhere", the AA/Populus survey showed.

The results came as the AA and the AA Charitable Trust, with support from British Cycling and the Motorcycle Industry Association, launched a national Think Bikes awareness campaign.

Initially one million free stickers will be distributed to drivers as a reminder to do a 'double-take' in their mirrors for cycles and motorcycles in their blind spots. It is suggested that the cycle sticker is placed on the passenger's side and the motorcycle one on the driver's side.

AA president Edmund King said: "Our campaign is definitely needed when half of drivers are often surprised when a cyclist or motorcyclist 'appears from nowhere'.

"Those on two wheels never appear from nowhere so as drivers we need to be more alert to other road users."

Among those involved in the launch is British Cycling policy adviser and former Olympic cycling champion Chris Boardman. There is also support from 20-times Isle of Man TT winner John McGuinness and the Metropolitan Police.

Boardman said: "This move by the AA is a welcome step in creating a culture of mutual respect between all road users."

McGuinness said: "As a professional motorcycle racer, I definitely feel safer riding my bike on the track than I do on the open road. Too many drivers simply don't 'see' bikes and this can create a dangerous situation."

The AA/Populus survey, of 17,629 adults, also found that 54% reckoned pedal cyclists were inconsiderate road users, with males (57%) more likely to believe this than women (47%).

Drivers in London were the most likely to look out for pedal cyclists, while drivers in Wales and Northern Ireland were least likely to do so.

Asked about motorcyclists, 40% of drivers in the poll said motorcyclists were inconsiderate, with this number increasing to 46% among Londoners and 49% among drivers aged 25-34.

Cycling safety has been to the fore of late, following six cycling deaths in London in a two-week spell last autumn. London Mayor Boris Johnson has just announced plans to make some of the most dangerous junctions in the capital safer for those on two wheels.

Mr Johnson said: "This is a brilliantly simple idea which if widely adopted will undoubtedly save lives - and it reminds us, too, that cyclists and drivers have a common interest in looking out for each other."

Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin said he shared the AA's view on the importance of reminding drivers to look out for cyclists and motorcyclists and was happy to support the campaign.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 08:54 
User

"Poll shows cyclists 'hard to spot'"

Or:

"Poll shows people not looking properly when using the roads"

Still, let's not let the truth get in the way of a good headline!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 22:56 
Site Admin

The stickers will only work for a short time but if drivers or riders are needing a reminder then even if it only works for a short time then that is a good thing.:)
However it does point out that there are many who are not practicing the best abilities and skills.
To improve this is necessary for better road safety.

However I have been particularly looking at cyclists behaviour and questioning if they are behaving in a good aware manner best for the road or 'for themselves'. Whilst a few voluntarily give good courtesy the majority tend to be riding for 'themselves' from my recent observations. This isn't to say that this is a meaningful survey just noting and thinking about 'how can we make cyclists better too' ...
I did see a cyclist too being so 'give way to cars' on a roundabout the other day, that everyone stopped to let him go in the end ! He gave loads of thankful waves to everyone which was v nice to see! :)
However how to draw the balance between the various groups. We can all improve and all 'get better'.

So what if there were also stickers in the rear window of a car on the near-side that suggests to cyclists to 'allow for vehicle manoeuvres' such as "slow to allow turning" so that vehicles can turn left more safely for everyone.
I see many lorries now have cyclist warning signs not to go down their nearside at all & they do so at their own risk.

A cyclist is 'hard' to spot if they/we are not behaving in a predictable and obvious manner.
Hard to spot might be more 'going too fast for others to recognise and initial a reaction in good time'.
Many cyclists are travelling quickly so 'appear from no-where' as they appear from behind a vehicle or road. Now whilst there is little wrong with this it is really only OK if the cyclist recognises that they may need to act or slow / stop rapidly if they are taking another person by surprise by their actions. And I think this is where things are going wrong. I see cyclists (sometimes) moan yell or hit cars because they think what they did was OK and others ought to have entirely allowed for them. But this is not the case, we must all behave properly and sensibly, being responsible for our actions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 22:40 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
weepej wrote:
"Poll shows cyclists 'hard to spot'"

Id suggest poll localy would say "cyclists take the piss". But then, how often does WEEPY let the truth get in the way of facts

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 18:44 
User

botach wrote:
Id suggest poll localy would say "cyclists take the piss". But then, how often does WEEPY let the truth get in the way of facts

When you've got a sensible on topic post to make that not just a petty ad hominem full of silly childish partisan generalisations let us know botach!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 20:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
weepej wrote:

When you've got a sensible on topic post to make that not just a petty ad hominem full of silly childish partisan generalisations let us know botach!

WEEPY - ever heard of pot and kettle. And, may I suggest you invest in DICTIONARY. You are starting to sound like something out of Animal farm. Instead of "TWO LEGS BAD, FOUR LEGS GOOD", YOU COME ACROSS AS " FOUR WHEELS BAD, TWO WHEELS GOOD". But then I'd suggest you ride a trike, and live like a little Troll under some bridge.
Locally, as a car driver with more driving years under my belt than you have years on the planet, I see folks on cycles do things that anyone with any road sense would not do. But then, perhaps, that's in the WEEPY handbook of road safety. But then, how often does WEEPY let the truth get in the way of facts