It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 23:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 19:25 
User

:gatso2: From the Belfast Telegraph

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 70325.html

Belfast 'needs more cycle lanes'

International expert calls for action to encourage motorists onto bikes

That's according to expert Klaus Bondam, the keynote speaker at the Changing Gear seminar organised by the Department of Regional Development.

Mr Bondam, CEO of the Danish Cyclists' Federation, said Belfast already had some good segregated cycling lanes but that the city suffered from a lack of connectivity and signage.

"We have to create cycling infrastructure that makes people feel more comfortable and more secure when cycling," he added.

"We can do that by going out and asking drivers what can be done to make them cycle. A lot of drivers want to. They think it's unsafe but would like to cycle.

Mr Bondam, who was taken on a cycling tour of Belfast by Transport Minister Danny Kennedy ahead of the seminar, also warned against letting private taxis use bus and cycle lanes because it could intimidate cyclists. "You definitely need more segregated cycle lanes," he said.

"The hardcore Lycra men will cycle no matter what – the point now is to get the ordinary men and women of Northern Ireland to choose the bicycle as a preferred mode of transport because it's convenient, fast and safe."

He also told seminar delegates that the best way to encourage a cycling culture was to start with children, making sure there are safe routes to schools, to the shops and to recreational areas.

"We need to create places where families can go and cycle with their kids at the weekend as well," Mr Bondam added.

"I totally understand any parents who will not let their kids cycle on the road.

"Creating these pockets of safe environments is a good way to start. Then you build up a good network from there, street-by-street."

Mr Kennedy welcomed Mr Bondam's suggestions and said: "I have made a commitment to develop a cycling culture in Northern Ireland.

"In that culture, people would have a choice on how they travel, on how they get to work, on how they get to the shops and on how they spend some of their leisure time.

"I am convinced that Northern Ireland has the potential to develop a mature cycling culture similar to that enjoyed by many of our European neighbours, who benefit from improvement in health and the environment."

STORY SO FAR

The seminar is being held in conjunction with public consultation on a draft bicycle strategy launched at the end of August. The draft outlines a vision for the development of a cycling culture here, and everyone has an opportunity to provide feedback ahead of the November 21 closing date. Public consultation events have taken place in six venues. A copy of the draft can be found at http://www.drdni.gov.uk.

I love the quote in the comments section - "Bicycling is convenient, fast and it's safe. Aye and so was the Titanic."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 20:06 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am trying to think of another activity apart from cycling that everyone acknowledges is hazardous but that the Government promotes as desirable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 19:22 
User

malcolmw wrote:
I am trying to think of another activity apart from cycling that everyone acknowledges is hazardous but that the Government promotes as desirable.

Cycling is not hazardous.

Being hit by a car is.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 00:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
As a pedestrian, I avoid anything on wheels ( paying particular lookout for omeba in charge of two wheels) .As a car driver, I lookout for buses/taxis and trucks. A a cyclist, I looked out for any dangers. PERHAPS, you've hit nail on head- and cyclists should look out for vehicles ,and obey the rules of the road,and HC,instead of ASSUMING that they have a forcefield protecting them and a "NO WIN" lot looking to make a fast buck .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 19:52 
User

botach wrote:
and cyclists should look out for vehicles ,and obey the rules of the road,and HC,instead of ASSUMING that they have a forcefield protecting them and a "NO WIN" lot looking to make a fast buck .

So many silly ridiculous generalisations in one sentence there.

Let's break that down shall we:

Cyclists (all of them) do not look out for vehicles.

Cyclists (all of them) do not obey the rules of the road

Cyclists (all of them) do not follow the highway code.

Cyclists (all of them) assume they have a force field protecting them.

Cyclists (All of them) are looking to get hit so they can apply to a no win no fee firm so they can get compensation.

Car drivers (all of them) obey law at all times and if they do hit a cyclist it's the cyclist that was at fault.

Can anybody add any more?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 19:54 
User

malcolmw wrote:

Driving a car?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 01:35 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
weepej wrote:
botach wrote:
and cyclists should look out for vehicles ,and obey the rules of the road,and HC,instead of ASSUMING that they have a forcefield protecting them and a "NO WIN" lot looking to make a fast buck .

So many silly ridiculous generalisations in one sentence there.

Let's break that down shall we:

Cyclists (all of them) do not look out for vehicles.

Cyclists (all of them) do not obey the rules of the road

Cyclists (all of them) do not follow the highway code.

Cyclists (all of them) assume they have a force field protecting them.

Cyclists (All of them) are looking to get hit so they can apply to a no win no fee firm so they can get compensation.

Car drivers (all of them) obey law at all times and if they do hit a cyclist it's the cyclist that was at fault.

Can anybody add any more?

Nice to see you admit the truth, weepy. But then, you missed this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29678989

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 07:45 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
malcolmw wrote:

Driving a car?

The Government do not promote this activity as desirable. In fact, quite the reverse.