The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 22:01 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-he ... r-33236920

A cyclist who was warned about riding on a city street has been jailed after knocking down a woman who died later.

Darryl Gittoes, 21, hit Mary Evans, 73, in Hereford city centre last July and she died in hospital nine days later, the Crown Prosecution Service said.

Gittoes, who pleaded guilty to causing bodily harm by wanton or furious driving, was jailed for 12 months.

The defendant, of Homestead, Hereford, was riding a defective bike recovered from a scrap metal lorry, the CPS said.

His bike was examined and found to have had no brakes, a deflated rear tyre, a cracked front tyre and no bell.

Gittoes was jailed at Worcester Crown Court on Monday following his guilty plea on 18 May.
'Tragic consequences'

The court heard he had been warned a number of times about riding his bike along Commercial Street, where a Traffic Regulation Order prohibits cycling between 10:30 and 16:30, including on the day before the collision.

Emily Lenham, senior crown prosecutor from West Midlands CPS, said: "Darryl Gittoes was fully aware that his bike was not in a roadworthy condition and he knew of the prohibitions which were in force along Commercial Street, however, on 30 July 2014 he disregarded the previous warning he had received from the police and rode his bicycle along this street and in doing so, he collided with Mary Evans, knocking her to the ground.

"Mrs Evans would later die due to the head injuries caused by the collision.

"This case clearly highlights the dangers of riding a cycle in a pedestrian area and the tragic consequences of Mr Gittoes' actions should serve as a reminder to cyclists to take heed of prohibitions in place within such areas, which are necessary to preserve the safety of pedestrians."

MY BOLDS.

But why did they need a TRO to prevent cycling on pavement .
HC 64

You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129

Would seem to cover it. But if he couldn't be bothered to fit a bell / have brakes and generally ride with a non roadworthy cycle, is it not surprising he'd possibly not even know what the HC is ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 20:58 
User

botach, he wasn't cycling on the pavement, but in a pedestrianised street.

Riding like an idiot too by the sounds of it. I regularly cycling in hyde park and Kensington Gardens which is regularly stuffed full of pedestrians, but I've never come close to hitting one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 21:43 
User

weepej wrote:

:gatso2: Pedestrianised streets may well have "No Vehicle" signs. Occasionally one may find that certain types of vehicles are excepted.

But the thing is, the law also defines a bicycle as a vehicle. So that means he shouldn't have been cycling in a pedestrianised street.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 00:05 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:

OK- A pedestrianised street, WHERE cycling is PROHIBITED. you NITPICK( and split hairs), AS USUAL .

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 20:44 
User

botach wrote:
weepej wrote:

OK- A pedestrianised street, WHERE cycling is PROHIBITED. you NITPICK( and split hairs), AS USUAL .

It's hardly nitpicking is it, rather pointing our a massive comprehension fail on your part.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 23:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd say you are NITPICKING ,Possibly Trolling ,with the intent to "Post likely to inflame etc"

perhaps, BEFORE you dig your hole a bit deeper,( and I'd have no compunction to ask mods if you are a serious Troll , You MIGHT like to consider the evidence against the idiot .
His bike was examined and found to have had no brakes,
a deflated rear tyre, a cracked front tyre and no bell.

The court heard he had been warned a number of times about riding his bike along Commercial Street, where a Traffic Regulation Order prohibits cycling between 10:30 and 16:30,
including on the day before the collision.

"This case clearly highlights the dangers of riding a cycle in a pedestrian area and the tragic consequences of Mr Gittoes' actions should serve as a reminder to cyclists to take heed of prohibitions in place within such areas,
which are necessary to preserve the safety of pedestrians."

I'd say if you go on defending him ,YOU ARE A PERSON SITTING UNDER A BRIDGE ON A THREE WHEELED CYCLE = TROLL.

Yet ,another Question, I'd suggest that the weepiej person ( if one exists) will submerge( into waters a bit deeper than the average stream and fail to surface to answer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 21:48 
User

I'm not defending him botach.

But he wasn't riding on the pavement so you quotation of that particular law does not apply here.

That's not trolling, it's pointing out inaccuracies in your post.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 22:13 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Still no comment on the condition of his so called transport. I'll ask - how can the cycling community condone/ support this activity.
as for
Quote:
it's pointing out inaccuracies in your post.
-that's a well known dodge for getting out of a situation where the answer COULD BE embarrassing .I see the straws left on the surface of the water rapidly dispersing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 08:14 
User

botach wrote:
Still no comment on the condition of his so called transport. I'll ask - how can the cycling community condone/ support this activity.

What cycling community?

botach wrote:
that's a well known dodge for getting out of a situation where the answer COULD BE embarrassing .I see the straws left on the surface of the water rapidly dispersing.

What answer are you looking for?

The guy is an arsehole, he's in prison and rightly so.

Plenty of arsehole's in the world botach, what do you want to do about it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 08:19 
User

CJG wrote:
weepej wrote:

:gatso2: Pedestrianised streets may well have "No Vehicle" signs. Occasionally one may find that certain types of vehicles are excepted.

But the thing is, the law also defines a bicycle as a vehicle. So that means he shouldn't have been cycling in a pedestrianised street.

In law, a bicycle is a carriage.

This sign actually means "No motor vehicles" and does not cover cycles:

This means no cycling, but you can't put this up where cycling is sometimes allowed.

I presume the no cycling aspect of that street is enforced by a local bylaw.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:02 
User

:gatso2: Lies, damned lies and statistics.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/campa ... -is-safe-0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 21:02 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spread the story oft enough, and folks will begin to believe it, as in the post previous, where one person who pilots a two wheeled conveyance actually knows what a "no cycling " sign is ,and hopes by this to convince us that all cyclists know what one is. i suspect that we have someone who protests too much, and is TRYING to divert attention away from the point that the said cyclist KNEW that cycling was banned ( he'd already been officially told it was), but continued to do so ,anyway .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 21:38 
User

What does this mean botach?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 22:50 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As shown - a sign NOT conforming to those in TSRGD, as ALL speed restriction signs are CIRCULAR . As is this one. :30: Spot the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 22:55 
User

botach wrote:
As shown - a sign NOT conforming to those in TSRGD, as ALL speed restriction signs are CIRCULAR . As is this one. :30: Spot the difference.

OK, what does the sign in this picture mean?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 21:17 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd suggest that you have decided that defending the illegal activities of cyclists is a lost cause and are now attempting to derail this post by dragging it off topic. If you cannot get back on topic, I'd suggest you give up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 20:37 
User

botach wrote:
I'd suggest that you have decided that defending the illegal activities of cyclists is a lost cause and are now attempting to derail this post by dragging it off topic. If you cannot get back on topic, I'd suggest you give up.

Where have I defended the illegal activities of cyclists?

Answer please.