It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 13:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 20:29 
User

:gatso2: From the Evening Standard

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/v ... 21621.html

Video of bike vs black taxi crash sparks row over who is at fault

Rachel Blundy

This was the moment a cyclist was knocked over by a cab driver after trying to undertake him in north west London.

The crash occurred as the taxi turned left into a side street on Edgware Road - but thankfully the rider escaped without injury.

It was filmed by YouTube user Daz Lin, who was cycling behind the victim with a camera strapped to his helmet.

Sharing the video online, he said: "A scary moment from my morning commute. Could have ended a lot worse.

"Nobody seemed hurt and both parties dealt with the situation...with a handshake."

He added the warning: "Cyclists and drivers lookout for each other on the road!"

In the footage, the cyclist is seen dusting himself off after the crash and shaking the cab driver's hand. He then remounts his bike and continues his journey.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 01:32 
Life Member
Life Member

Looks like the cabs indicator came on a bit late, even so passing at a junction is a classic beginners mistake on the part of the cyclist.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 16:05 
User

Toltec wrote:
Looks like the cabs indicator came on a bit late, even so passing at a junction is a classic beginners mistake on the part of the cyclist.

Not just cyclists, unfortunately. A bit of a 6 of one situation, that could have been a lot worse. Both showed a lack of awareness of their surroundings.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 16:26 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just thinking about this type of incident...

If we put aside the cycle lanes and "wrong way up one way streets" issues, in general, cyclists seem to want to be treated with the same respect as other road users. Incidents like the one shown could be avoided if they ACTED with respect to other road users and waited in line in queues instead of wanting to overtake on the inside.

Irrespective of who was to blame for this incident, waiting in the queue would have prevented the coming together.

Just thinking...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 20:34 

A classic example of why people should indicate in sufficient time AND for sufficient time (not just three flashes) to make it perfectly clear to ALL other road users and pedestrians exactly what you intend to do....something that seems not to be taught, in the area that i live, at least.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 01:12 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Something similar happened to me the other day in a store. I was sitting in my scooter, behind an old lady and her mother. Old mother ,was sorting out her mobile walking frame, and blocking up the aisle, but I sat back and waited, as I’m a bit of an oldie. Then from behind came a complaint that we were blocking the lane. When I explained why, I got the usual reply "SORRY" .But why didn't the complainer see the reason for the problem. I'd put it down to in store myopia. Same thing the cyclist suffers from .With overs 40 years of driving experience , I look ahead, and if in doubt, I stop. Simple, but it stops accidents .