Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 23:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 20:46 
User

:gatso2: From the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

Number of cyclists taken to court for ignoring road signs has more than doubled in four years

Bikers found guilty of neglect of traffic directions rose from 52 to 125
Figures showed 332 people found guilty of other cycling offences in 2014
Tensions between cyclists and other road users have ramped up recently
It has been put down to the increasing use of dashcams and head cams

By Katie Louise Davies For Mailonline

Published: 12:29, 2 January 2016 | Updated: 15:41, 2 January 2016

The number of reckless cyclists taken to court for ignoring traffic warning signs has doubled in the past four years, statistics show.

Bikers convicted of neglect of traffic directions rose from 52 in 2010 to 125 in 2014 - the year in which the latest figures are available for.

Government figures also revealed that cyclists found guilty of careless driving in magistrates court increased from over the same time period.

Driver Phil Foster was left wrestling with an unnamed cyclist on the streets of Stockport after an altercation

Tensions between cyclists and other road users have ramped up dramatically in the past couple of years with the increasing use of dashcams and head cams.

This month driver Phil Foster and an unnamed cyclist traded blows on the streets of Stockport, Greater Manchester, after the dispute on a single carriageway residential road.

Dashcam footage recorded from the cab of Mr Foster's lorry captures an angry exchange between the two after the cyclist tried to get round the HGV, but didn't make it in time.

Another dashcam captured a cyclist flailing his arms and shouting at a car driver after he became enraged at being overtaken on a narrow road in Berkshire.

According to The Times, the latest figures also show that 24 cyclists were convicted of reckless and dangerous driving and 332 found guilty of other cycling offences in 2014.

The paper said that statistics - released by transport minister Lord Ahmad of Wimbledon in a letter to Labour peer Lord Hughes, of Woodside - showed the total of successful convictions for riding on a footpath stayed constant, from 288 in 2010 to 282 in 2014.

Tensions between cyclists and other road users have ramped up in the past couple of years with the increasing use of dashcams and head cams. Here a cyclist is pictured flailing his arms at a driver in Berkshire

The Times reports that Lord Ahmad told peers: 'I often said that the biggest challenge for a commuter in London was avoiding not trucks and cars but the cyclists who were possibly jumping red lights or riding on the pavements.'

The newspaper reported that he said a review should be carried out to ensure cyclists could be identified by police.

He told The Times: 'When they ride on pavements or jump red lights, they break the law, and there is a need to review with the police how we can apply the law effectively to cyclists as well as to any other road users.'

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 19:08 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
Quote:
The Times reports that Lord Ahmad told peers: 'I often said that the biggest challenge for a commuter in London was avoiding not trucks and cars but the cyclists who were possibly jumping red lights or riding on the pavements.'

The newspaper reported that he said a review should be carried out to ensure cyclists could be identified by police.

He told The Times: 'When they ride on pavements or jump red lights, they break the law, and there is a need to review with the police how we can apply the law effectively to cyclists as well as to any other road users.'

Well said Sir. Biggest problem I have in local parks is not aggressive dogs,trying to attack my little terrier, but ignorant cyclists who ride recklessly on a side where cycling is banned. how long I wonder before some little kid is maimed by this lot of idiots to whom the park rules & HC sit under their rear end .Problem is that we just don't have the Police manpower to enforce laws ,other than by camera. We got reduced numbers of PC, and in return PCSO, who WERE supposed to enforce cycling & dog offences, but these days seem to be doing the work of the undermanned Police .Go in the park with dog/toddler and camera, and use camera to record the actions of these mobile thugs/idiots. next thing, you will have a PCSO at the door to tell you that a complaint has been made on recording kids in park .

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 14:12 

CJG wrote:
:gatso2: From the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

Number of cyclists taken to court for ignoring road signs has more than doubled in four years

Bikers found guilty of neglect of traffic directions rose from 52 to 125
Figures showed 332 people found guilty of other cycling offences in 2014
Tensions between cyclists and other road users have ramped up recently
It has been put down to the increasing use of dashcams and head cams

By Katie Louise Davies For Mailonline

Published: 12:29, 2 January 2016 | Updated: 15:41, 2 January 2016

...The Times reports that Lord Ahmad told peers: 'I often said that the biggest challenge for a commuter in London was avoiding not trucks and cars but the cyclists who were possibly jumping red lights or riding on the pavements.'

Weepy's not gonna like that! I think he's nailed his colours pretty firmly to the mast on the subject of compulsory registration for cyclists! Of course, I'm not saying it WILL happen, but I think he's on record as saying it WON'T...!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 18:55 
User

Never going to happen.

His claims of course are complete and utter bunkum and he couldn't back them up.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cyclis ... ter/018723

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 20:55 
Site Admin

So what if there was a voluntary registration for cyclists?
A chip you can allocate to a bike and let's just say for sake of argument that the existing cameras could pick it up and ID it?

Would you then register ?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 00:16 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Never going to happen.

His claims of course are complete and utter bunkum and he couldn't back them up.

I was expecting Sir weepy of bunkum, from the City of Troll, to arrive on his tricycle dripping green water to ouze despair on fact. With no regard to fiction. he's well known for this. Cyclist mows pedestrian down- pedestrian got in path of cyclist.Cyclist runs into back of parked black cab- cab is guilty. Time this site said "WEEPY =Cycling troll" .END OF, and put him on troll suspension.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 01:11 
Site Admin

weepej wrote:
Never going to happen.

Never wise to say 'Never'.
Lord Ahmed : http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... .htm#st_51
He has now stated it in Parliament ... I think you should retract that statement that he cannot back it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 04:20 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

I've been away a long time - my interests have widened and camera hypothecation has settled down. The level of them is too high and there are veiled threats of an increase rear their heads every do often, but on the whole I devote my "public service" attention to different causes these days.

I return here to find.... Well I never. Two people putting very valid sides to an argument, but with the same sparring that seems to have pervaded here for a very long time.

I do respect you both, and if only you would both just take a little more trouble to remove the barbs from the rose gems of posts, the debate would progress far more smoothly and quickly. You are both far too intelligent and both clearly have exceptional eloquence to put across your points without the need to name-call. "Sir Weepy of Bunkum" - does that really add to the debate?

In the words of Judge John Deed, I don't care who started it.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 15:51 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
weepej wrote:
Never going to happen.

Never wise to say 'Never'.
Lord Ahmed : http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... .htm#st_51
He has now stated it in Parliament ... I think you should retract that statement that he cannot back it up.

That's the transcript from the discussion we're talking about....

Like I say, utter bunkum that he can't back up.

Like I say, never going to happen. Any country that's had cycle registration has abandoned it, and any country that looked into introducing it decided it was pointless.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 15:53 
User

Botach, you're making stuff up again.

botach wrote:
Cyclist mows pedestrian down- pedestrian got in path of cyclist.

Where did I say this?

botach wrote:
Cyclist runs into back of parked black cab- cab is guilty.

Where did I say this?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 15:57 
User

SafeSpeedv2 wrote:
So what if there was a voluntary registration for cyclists?
A chip you can allocate to a bike and let's just say for sake of argument that the existing cameras could pick it up and ID it?

Would you then register ?

You'd need all sorts of legislation and laws passed to get this through and allow it to be used as evidence.

It's simply not worth it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 00:21 
Gold Member
Gold Member

weepej wrote:
Botach, you're making stuff up again.

botach wrote:
Cyclist mows pedestrian down- pedestrian got in path of cyclist.

Where did I say this?

botach wrote:
Cyclist runs into back of parked black cab- cab is guilty.

Where did I say this?

Let's regress to a difference of opinion over a post where I asked you about a sign, red circle with white background , ans a Bicycle on it. Your reply, which I ignored was :30:
I could go back over lots of Weepy's posts and drag up the evidence. I'd prefer not to -as I'm for road safety BY ALL ROAD USERS, rather than by us all agreeing about who is right/wrong.
DO NOT ASK ME TO provide Troll proof, WEEPY- as I will do a trawl through SS posts, but I'm not here to divert attention from road safety, as you seem to want. I'd just like us all , 2wheel users, both motorised/pedal power, and those with a lot more wheels to start looking out for each other. THEN, AND THEN , the roads MIGHT just become a lot safer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 17:27 
User

botach wrote:
I could go back over lots of Weepy's posts and drag up the evidence.

No you couldn't.

botach wrote:
I'd prefer not to -as I'm for road safety BY ALL ROAD USERS,

Me too, that's a given, but which sign being ignored causes more societal harm?

:30: or the one with the bike in a red circle?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 18:15 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

Tu quoque alert!

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed