Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 22:30 
User

:gatso2: From the Daily Express.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/644955 ... -the-wrong

Cyclist posts video being cut up by female driver - but internet says HE is in the wrong

FOOTAGE of a cyclist confronting a driver for apparently turning too close in front of him has gone viral after viewers backed the female motorist.

By Selina Sykes

PUBLISHED: 18:01, Wed, Feb 17, 2016

The video was filmed on the rider's helmet-camera and shows him overtake by a car, which has its indicator on, before turning left into a Lidl car park.

The cyclist, who was overtaken by three cars, started shouting and swearing before he decides to follow the vehicle and have a go at the driver.

The moments before the driver overtakes him are not seen in the video.

The man can be heard shouting: "What are you some sort of f****** idiot? You're on camera."

After following the female driver, the cyclist says: "Excuse me, I don't know if you realise what you did out on the road back there but it's really dangerous.

Viewers have backed the female motorist after an angry cyclist posted footage online

"You overtook me, I'm doing 20-odd miles an hour down the road, you overtook me as I came up to the turning there and then turned in on top of me."

The man even threatens to report the incident to police, stating he has got her registration plate on camera.

The woman calmly states the cyclist was "miles back" before asking to see the footage.

Eventually the driver apologises for the incident but maintains that the cyclist was far enough away from her car.

The cyclist argues he was travelling at a deceivingly quick speed and was not given enough time to react to her manoeuvre in front of him.

The woman ends to altercation by saint: "I'm sorry, but I do think it is a little extreme.

The cyclist then promises to wipe the footage when he gets home because the woman apologised.

But the video was later posted to the Idiot UK Drivers Exposed Facebook page, alongside a caption reading: "Cyclist 100% At Fault! Do you agree?"

The video was filmed on the rider's helmet-camera and shows him being overtaken by a car

Eventually the driver apologises for the incident

However the social media post largely backfired, with most siding with the driver.

One Facebook user said: "I fail to see what she did wrong, she was not close to him and gave him loads of room."

Another wrote: "What an absolute moron of a cyclist" before saying the cyclist should be reported for
The cyclist was so angry he followed the driver into a Lidl car park to have a go at her

One Facebook user said: "I'm a cyclist and he's totally at fault."

The video has since gone viral, with more than 2,000 people taking to Facebook to share their views. The footage has been viewed nearly 90,000 times.

It is unclear when and where the footage was captured

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 07:34 
User

Grist to the mill that having video recording equipment on you can turn you into a complete arsehole!

The lady probably should've waited behind the cyclist, but still it was a fair pass and she didn't cut him up.

The cyclist is being roundly condemned on the Facebook page, which is full of cyclists (and motorists) posting videos of truly nutty driving....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 19:54 

It seems that some cyclists are so unsavvy about what actually constitutes danger that they would be better off taking the bus.

i had some pratt having a go at me one morning for travelling too close to him before he approached a roundabout to turn right, although he signalled his intention well in advance and i held back some thirty yards,,,he was just a confrontational pratt, the one fined for driving down a NSL road , in the centre at 20MPH, some months before.

My views do not represent Safespeed but those of a driver who has driven for 39 yrs, in all conditions, at all times of the day & night on every type of road and covered well over a million miles, so knows a bit about what makes for safety on the road,what is really dangerous and needs to be observed when driving and quite frankly, the speedo is way down on my list of things to observe to negotiate Britain's roads safely, but I don't expect some fool who sits behind a desk all day to appreciate that.