Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 23:56 
User

:gatso2: I came across this on the IAM website -

https://www.iamroadsmart.com/media-and- ... er-cycling

Cycling is on the increase in the UK and the recent increase in injuries is clearly linked to its growing popularity.

It brings major benefits to society in the form of better health, reduced congestion and lower emissions but our cycling facilities lag well behind those found in Europe. Over 60% of the population believe cycling is too dangerous for them to cycle on the road.

More cyclists will bring safety in numbers but until that time the IAM will continue to support segregated infrastructure, raised awareness of cycling and above all the need for all road users to take responsibility for their safety and that of those around them.

IAM RoadSmart recommendations

•Adult cycle training should be widely available and cycling should be part of the National Curriculum taught in every school.

•Teaching new drivers about the risk that vehicles pose to cyclists must be a priority.

•Information campaigns should highlight risky behaviour by drivers and riders and encourage safer interactions between motorised and two wheeled transport.

•Drivers must adhere to the Highway Code by giving cyclists safe room, respecting advanced stop lines, parking safely and controlling road rage.

•Safety mirrors and improved window designs should be fitted to all large vehicles and at key junctions.

•Infrastructure improvements which separate cyclists and heavy traffic should have the top priority for investment. Well maintained and pothole free roads, pavements and cycle lanes will assist in the encouragement of cycling.

•Innovative shared space designs should be encouraged which create cycling friendly environments where it is clear that all road users have equal priority. 20mph zones can help promote cycling but the results so far have been mixed and more research is needed to identify streetscape improvements that will encourage more cycling.

•The IAM does not support changing the civil law to place blame for cycle crashes solely on the driver as all road users have an equal responsibility to behave safely.

•Cyclists should adhere to the highway code, obey road signs and signals and cycle in a safe and predictable manner.

•Cyclists should wear helmets, reflective clothing and use lights at night, but the IAM does not support compulsory wearing of cycle helmets although all riders should always wear one to avoid turning a simple fall into a life changing brain injury.

•There is no evidence that insurance for cyclists would make any difference to cycling or driving behaviour and the IAM does not support compulsory cycle insurance or road tax for this reason.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 08:41 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm not a big fan of the IAM but most of this seems sensible (not sure about the "shared space" issue).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 09:45 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

There does seem to be an awful lot about other road users' responsibilities rather than cyclists'.

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 00:15 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Treacletown ( just north of M6 J3),A MILE OR TWO PAST BEDROCK
I remember ,years ago ,there was a lot of waffle about the need for some lower forms of policing to police cyclists and dog owners. Enter stage left - PCSO's , designed to police both( and ,sadly as the way regs were written, anything else the CC deemed fit). So these days we have LA doing the dog thing, with little funds, and PCSO filling in the gaps where the county can't fund proper police constables.
I'd go further than what Peter said, and suggest that all the road safety problems are now being laid at the motorist's door. Local town centre- after a set time, I can access the pedestrian area in my car, as a Blue badge holder. But even with my hazards on and a blue badge in the window, I get abuse about this being a "pedestrian area, where cars are banned", but with cyclists in full flight mode, with no regard to one way systems. But I've gone in there before bollard up time in my mobility scooter, and the same problem exists with cyclists.
So we've got both cyclists and pedestrians to contend with, thanks to our political & "road safety " experts verbalising on the need for car drivers to be responsible for road safety.