Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 09:14

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Riding on back roads
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 14:05 
User

Hi all (well mainly in gear!),

I've brought my bike from home to my place of work (Scotland to South East Engerland!) and I'm looking for some advice on safe riding tips etc for rural roads as this is where I plan to stick to and where I live. As I know from being a driver these back roads are very dangerous regarding cyclists and car mix so I was wondering what's the best thing to do to make myself as visible to motorists and reduce the chances of an accident. I've been away from the bike riding scene for a while so I think if I just went straight out it might be a big shockeroony. I was thinking that a rear view mirror might be a good start :)

Regards

Andrew

Homer Simpson

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 16:53 
User

a couple of things off the top of my head...

be very aware of your senses, and when they are insufficient (cant see enough? cant hear for wind noise, or cause a car has just passed you!) as you'll need to compensate.

make sure drivers know you are there, and make sure they know you've seen them. even if i have a good idea how far and how fast from the noise i try and have an obvious look over my shoulder to reassure them they've been noticed.. i.e. i'm not about to obliviously swerve infront of them.

where possible signal your intention to go round drains/puddles etc.
if they're waiting nicely behind you, you'll be able to see if the next section is clear for them to pass, consider waving them past if it is (dunno about liability here :roll: )

mostly about courtesy and consideration i guess..... but always have an escape route in mind! be it hedge or ditch :D

ed
(not in gear)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 17:13 
User

So no bus surfing then? :D

I'll need to get a new front brake cable and possibly a mudguard and lights, can you still get dynamos or a modern equivalent? I'd rather burn my own fat to produce energy :D

Regards

Andrew

Homer Simpson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 01:10 
User

Hi Andy

Yes - a rear mirror will help you down in the South east in particular. Also grab copy of CycleCraft andf contact the CTC for some free copies of some helpful leaftlets.

Have yet to post some general rule of thumb tips from course we give our lads and lasses who patrol on bicycles and hope to cover nasties like roundabouts, pinch points and approaching traffic signals. :wink: But have tried to cover some of the basics on getting started to encourage and make non-cyclists a bit more aware to skills involved. :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:59 
User

andys280176 wrote:
So no bus surfing then? :D

I'll need to get a new front brake cable and possibly a mudguard and lights, can you still get dynamos or a modern equivalent? I'd rather burn my own fat to produce energy :D

I don't use dynamos myself, but apparently you can't go wrong with a Schmidt SON (a hub type), I think they're quite pricey (£100+) but very well made, with minimal drag and are alleged to have lasted some users 20 000 odd miles!

You can get cheaper bottle dynamos which run on the tyre sidewalls, but they don't seem to be as reliable and create more drag. Maybe worth having alook at the Shimano Ultegra or XT hub dynamos too, I think they are a bit cheaper than the Schmidt.

Hope this helps.