Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 00:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Slip Roads
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 13:32 
User

Slip Roads

If cyclist has a collision at a slip road – very likely he or she will not survive. :shock: :cry: :( :cry:

Obvious factor is speed. :? We all know as drivers just how tricksy joining a dual/motorway can be from a slip road and on a fast A road dual – driver entering will be matching speed to flow and looking ahead for the gap in the traffic. :wink:

This means that any cyclist pedalling along at a respectable racing speed (assuming daft enough :? :shock: :? :shock: or no other route choice :? ) is at a very serious risk. :roll: Personally – I’d choose another route – and I do recall one thread we discussed on here regarding a chap arrested for cycling along the hard shoulder of the M6 and do recall the thread being discussed on a cycling forum and reading some of the comments with a growing sense of horror and alarm :censored: :banghead: :shock:

Cyclists, mopeds, farm tractors, etc are prohibited from using motorways for a darned good reason: 70mph, long stretches between exits and service stations and a push bike just do not mix! :wink:

So - this one is a double barrelled one as just as worthy of debate up in the Improve Driving Forum!

Franklin advocates that a cyclist cedes his priority and manoeuvres in a way contrary to the road markings. Basically he means cycling up to where the slip meets the main carriageway and looking for a gap in traffic as constant and to allow for the speeds. Personally I’d still give cycling on an 50/60 mph urban dual a miss and certainly would not be on the A14. (one on there last time I drove on it. He worried me! :roll: :shock: – but some cycling commuters may not have the option . Franklin advises to cross the slip road as quickly as possible and adds “there is no need to signal”. But then – you are already in a tricky situation – so removing one had from the bars and sticking out is the last thing you want to do if daft :shock: :? enough to place yourself in this situation! Should be obvious that you intend to join in the overall mayhem of the fast dual carriageway
anyway!

If the traffic flow is busy – you may have to slow and even stop (and this applies to motor vehicles as well. Where rule 233 says drivers are to give priority to traffic already on the motorway and you stay on the slip if it turns into L1 and mirror, signal, manoeuvre to overtake as normal once “established”

Fewer collisions occur at the exits but you need to be constantly aware and follow procedures for turning left and right in multi-laned road per my earlier thread,

But personally :wink: – I avoid this type of road on a push bike (unless it has a cycle path attached) and enjoy the more scenic routes 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 01:53 
User

Think this should be tagged to dual cariageways.

Diverges

Where a main road splits into two or where a motorway begins. If you need to take a right turn at these – please be aware that cars will be accelerating towards the start of a dual carriageway

If you can start to manoeuvre your way well in advance – following the safety led negotiation tips – but not too early as most of these motorists will be glancing at rear view mirrors and if a speed cam is in the area – at their speedos to make sure they are not blipping over

If you have to - if circumstances dictate – just stop and wait for a gap. ! Cyclists keep complaining about “vulnerability” – but they placing the blame or their own mistakes onto others – and it’s just not on! :roll: :x

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Profile Send private message