Post subject: Other Hazards
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 02:23 
User

Lot of little issues here - decided to lump them all together. :wink:

Cyclists and pedestrians

: Lot of myths … lot of realities. /

Listen to me –

Lecture mode ... lecture mode..
:stop: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: :soapbox: Pedestrians are vulnerable. There are cases whereby cyclist has injured a pedestrian. :roll:

Think about it! You are on shared path at 20 mph. If a toddler strays – who is hurt more? :x I know of one case in my patch and another in Germany, which happened to German pal of the Swiss mob. :x

Franklin rightly points out a flaw in the Highway Code, which requires drivers to give way to pedestrians who cross when they negotiate a turn. It should be extended to cyclists.

You should approach pelicans and zebras in primary position and be prepared to stop :stop:

You should always, like drivers be on alert for kids who are very vulnerable and not au fait with Highway Code. Too many parents do not supervise their kids on the roadside - and Green Cross needs teaching a lot more thoroughly throughout the nation. :soap: :soap:

Franklin reinforces C O A S T, Road Craft/ Driving – Essential Skills when he urges cyclists to be aware of parks, parked cars, ice cream cans, schools….

Cycling standards

Like PH, SS, and real world opinion, Franklin wisely accepts that the cycling standard in UK is abysmal.

Franklin – like self al BiB, Swiss felines – all of one opinion: you do not compromise other road users. :wink:

Also - Franklin states as I have done on this site in the past:

It is illegal to cycle on pavements and to do so is more hazardous than the roads!

Other cyclists

can be a hazard to other cyclists – especially on cycle paths and in rural areas

Be on a look out for numpty cyclists in same way as you look for numpty drivers then! Give plenty of COAST to them

Animals

Dogs are fascinated by cadence and pedalling legs :shock: :( . Be careful when you see a dog on the loose! :wink:

For discussion
No easy answers - but what are your strategies for dealing with a dog?

Horses

Well Kriss has a scare on horseback. Her rant was justified. :roll: The incident really upset her. :shock:

Horses spook very easily and appear more afraid of cyclists than cars if incidents are anything to go by,

You need to make sure the rider has seen you before you overtake Never ever get too close to the horse – it spooks – you and the rider could end up in ICU. :shock:

Insects

Use a repellent. Helmets and glasses help protect you as well. I also spray my helmet outside and inside with a repellent. Glasses and goggles help protect eyes.

Tiredness

Tired cyclists are as much a danger as tired drivers – slow to respond to traffic conditions.

Like drivers – get adequate sleep before your journey and stop off somewhere SAFE for 40 winks or so

Like drivers – take a break! Wrap up warm – cold causes fatigue and do eat chocolate!

Alcohol/drugs

Well you are subject to the same legal limits as drivers and only fools mix booze and drugs with their driving.

We are tightening up even more this Christmas and in the future =in this patch following the change in booze laws…

State of mind

I posted last year in the Improve section from my Hendon Notes about this.

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1422

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.