Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 16:39 
User

I mentioned in a post a wee while ago that a 'crash log' may be a worthwhile post.

Primarily for 'dissection' of what went wrong, preventions & lessons learnt, or, the cautionary tales where it wasn't a 'favorable outcome'.

But also, to have a little light-hearted entertainment with the plethora of collisions, near-misses & tumbles most enthusiastic cyclists endure! We might actaully learn something.

eg. certain tyre brands to avoid or the best performing helmet. Well, just let it flow: :D

Try to keep it sort of logical.
1. Type of cycle / rider experience level. (tandem, novice)
2. Weather condition / location (city, rural, D/C, roundabout etc.)
3. Incident & apx. speeds involved. (clipped kerb at 20mph, pothole, hit by car, oil on road etc.)
4. Resulting damages & protection/clothing worn if any :roll: . (mild grazing, coma, full face helmet, SPD shoes)
5. Lesson learnt if any. (check brake cables, don't oil brakes, never eat yellow snow...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:53 
User

Might as well get the cyclists tumbling......

First 'biggie'

15yrs ago, so still a novice on an old road bike, dry weather & down slight hill past police station. Riding far too close to kerb, drifted & clipped with front wheel (& couldn't get back out) at around 20mph. Hit once, twice, three times upon which wheel collapsed and wedged behind forks. Catapulted in front of bike, wearing no protection - perfect roll & twist landing to face uphill - not even a graze - SMACK - bike following me so got crossbar in the mouth. Smashed front teeth.

Stay more than 6" away from kerbs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:16 
User

Teeth again.....

During a spate of "a new bike every 4-6 months" .....

Claud Butler Vantage 300CX.... 7000 series alloy MTB with crappy tyres...

Had this bike a couple of months, I'd still concider myself an experienced novice with much to learn at this point. Road just drying out after a shower of rain. Leant the bike over at only 15mph ish to enter junction. Front wheel washed out on greasy surface & I faceplanted on tarmac. Smashed implants (dental!), and some top lip grazing (hitler syyle). Again, no protection (gonna be a common theme).

Why? I read the conditions wrong & had crappy off-road tyres (horizontal tread). Never did that again.....

Sold bike before the 'fluff' had worn off the tyres. Hated it. POC!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:51 
User

Rear window wipe....

ps. Take it as read that in ALL urban (commuting) incidents I don't wear any protection. Only off-road. Unwise I know, in light of my own admissions.

Happened a few times now :roll:

One - test riding a customers bike to diagnose problem gears. First use of brakes....was none to speak of....ah, the OTHER problem :o . Braced for impact & came to gentle rest on bumper - hands out on rear window to prevent falling over. My fault entirely. Driver apologised for pulling out in front of me....who was I to dispute the 'facts'! Never, ever ride a bike without checking you can stop & it's roadworthy.

Two - 'worst' crash ever.

Current bike (Scott G-Zero FX-1) - about 3 years ago. Decending slight incline towards 2 lane roundabout on dry sunny day. Approach speed 30+ (same pace as cars), making RH turn. Look, signal & move to RH lane. Brake. Ejit pulls over in front of me reducing my braking area by 20'. Brake! Brake! Brake!
Now been pulling a 'stoppie" for the last 20' or so even though I'm weighted right back. Just no way I'm gonna stop in space left. So 4-5 feet from impact (potential head through window) I ditch the bike and get hands out. Launch (SPDs realease :D ) and land on right knee from about 4' up, sliding down rear screen. No damage to vehicle (just wiped dust off), bike - scuffed bar plug. Me - banged up knee. Driver apologises for pulling over into my lane - not a SMIDSY, but "I thought 'cos you were a bike you'd just be going round the outside of the roundabout so I just moved over." Let him go as there was nothing major. Hobbled around & ended up with a lift to casualty with the blood now seeping down my trouser leg. (Friend drove by). Long story short-----split skin , 'chipped' knee cap (still got a divot), couldn't walk / use knee for a month as immovable. Discovered Ibruprofen :twisted: which aided recovery. I still can't kneel on it more than 3 years after the event.

Lesson - don't assume the area you can 'see' to be clear will remain so! And ALWAYS take the drivers details! "Hello, accident claim line?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 13:08 
User

so its just you then? :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 13:28 
User

ed_m wrote:
so its just you then? :wink: :lol:

Yup! I was a one-man accident on wheels :lol: signle handedly spilling my blood for the greater good :roll: ....just on my bike though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 17:54 
User

10th May 2004, heavy showers, grit all over the rims so brakes graunching like mad and I am trying not to use them. Coming down a hill on a country lane that I know well at 30 mph. Don't take my usual turn up another lane but try to take tight, damp corner at around 25 mph. Next thing I know I am on my right side sliding along the road. Unfortunately wearing summer gear so road rash on forehead, fingers, forearm, thigh, knee. Look a bit of a mess so ring my daughter to take me to A&E. Bike only grazed. I think I must have been pedalling around the corner and caught the right-hand pedal on the road.
Back on bike 2 weeks later but only start riding seriously 4 weeks later. Always wear a helmet now and don't take risks descending hills. Scars to remind me of why you need to be careful. :)