Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A licence to stop at red
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 03:34 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

After yesterday's Monbiot rant, today there is an article in the "Guardian" arguing that the only way to really promote cycling is to introduce cycle licences:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story ... 78,00.html

Any views expressed in this post are personal opinions and may not represent the views of Safe Speed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 04:38 
Site Admin

PeterE wrote:
After yesterday's Monbiot rant, today there is an article in the "Guardian" arguing that the only way to really promote cycling is to introduce cycle licences:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story ... 78,00.html

I think we're reaping that that we have sown. We have damaged the 'everone is individually responsible' principle and I'm not in the least little bit surprised that we're developing an us and them culture.

The suggested licences might do a little something to redress the balance, but I doubt it. We need to promote equality of responsibility, looking out for each other and a goodly dollop of good old fashioned British courtesy.

And before anyone chips in ( :hehe: ) ... I don't believe that the world has changed that much that we've lost the ability to use the basic principles. It might not be as good as it once was, but it'd sure be better than it is now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 15:15 
User

As a cyclist and a motorist, I'd agree with the article that it is bad PR for cyclists to go through red lights etc. and doesn't help those who campaign for better facilities. I'm not sure licenses are the way to do it though.

I'd be interested to know what people think of Monbiot's contention that the rise of car use has contributed to the 'me first' culture that discourteous cyclists exemplify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 00:44 
User

Noob Saibot wrote:
As a cyclist and a motorist, I'd agree with the article that it is bad PR for cyclists to go through red lights etc. and doesn't help those who campaign for better facilities. I'm not sure licenses are the way to do it though.

I'd be interested to know what people think of Monbiot's contention that the rise of car use has contributed to the 'me first' culture that discourteous cyclists exemplify.

It's not just car use. :banghead: I do not think we can hold cars and drivers responsible for the ills of society. :shock: I would say that each aspect of life has contributed :cry: in some way towards this "me first" culture and its roots lie in political correctness and making excuses for people - so much so that the rot of not accepting responsiblity for one's actions has infiltrated all apsects of our lives :x . Add to this an expection of things being "immediate" :shock: - computers, microwave cooking and so on :wink: - and we get a culture of impatience thrown in as well! :roll:

PS - have to get my smiley use up... :wink:

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 08:47 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In Gear wrote:
Add to this an expection of things being "immediate" :shock: - computers ....

Computers? Immediate? Give over. I'm on dial up. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 16:43 

Well the lights in London have been deliberately programmed to be red much longer because Ken is anti-car, but it affects bikes as well unless they decide not to stop at them.

Many are red for no reason. Many times there is an automatic pedestrian phase and no pedestrians anywhere, or they are on pedestrian phase long after all the pedestrians have crossed. Some others are red where there is nobody to give way to at all.

And sometimes, by the way, the cyclist will start to cross at green but the light changes during the cross and then turns green the other way so quickly that the cyclist has not yet cleared the junction. So what do you have to say about that one?

Any cyclist who crosses a red light where it is obviously dangerous however is a fool. And anyone who goes through a pedestrian phase (without dismounting) where there are pedestrians deserves to be fined.
(That doesn't mean pedestrians should jump out at amber).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 14:23 
User

I was stopped at a red light on the bike yesterday at a narrow bridge and it wouldn't change to green despite riding over the sensors twice more (before you ask it was my steel-framed bike not the carbon-fibre one). I was about to give up and walk past when a car arrived and "did the business".

I am afraid that I have got the mindset that it's six penalty points for passing a red light and it's carried over into cycling. :lol:

Back to the main point - obviously many cyclists have no idea how vulnerable they are.