Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 09:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 15:13 
User

Drivers who overtake then slow down or stop, blocking your path. "Mustn't get held up by that cyclist" attitude. E.g. you're riding down a residential road with cars parked on either side, a car is approaching in the distance, it's no problem until some idiot comes up behind in a car or van, forces their way past then stops to give way to the other vehicle. Familiar? :x
Or overtaking at the last second approaching a junction then pulling up close to the kerb when you could safely negotiate the turn.
Most drivers just don't understand how hard-won a cyclist's momentum can be when all they have to do is press a little pedal!!!
Then there's overtaking on a fast road with traffic approaching from the opposite direction. Slow down a bit - no chance - "but I mustn't impede the other driver so I'll keep inside the white line" :)
When this happens you have to ride over the drain/ into the pothole - swerving could be fatal. :x I've got a mirror so I'm better off than most cyclists in this respect.
Also (rarely) drivers who drive into puddles when you're passing the other way or expect you to ride into puddles so that they can overtake a bit sooner.
Farmer Giles who drops sh.. you-know-what all over the road so that the grit gets over your wheels and in your brakes.

I could go on and on...... until I run out of puff.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 15:55 
User

mmmmm hmmm

similar to the learner syndrome i experienced recently when my other half was learning (passed on monday by the way). they just have to get past because of the L-plate.

also learning a similar story in her new smart! people dont like being overtaken by them :lol:

not quite so protected on a bike tho.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 21:55 
User

A Cyclist wrote:
Drivers who overtake then slow down or stop, blocking your path. "Mustn't get held up by that cyclist" attitude. E.g. you're riding down a residential road with cars parked on either side, a car is approaching in the distance, it's no problem until some idiot comes up behind in a car or van, forces their way past then stops to give way to the other vehicle. Familiar? :x

I know :yesyes: Nick - tried to cover this in my "tips". These were not just "for cyclists". I am hoping that my tips did alert our drivers, I nknow the regulars are very skilled - but I hope lurkers and browsers will take note and try a bit harder :wink:

We can only chip away to help our less skilled for want of a better term :wink:

Quote:
Or overtaking at the last second approaching a junction then pulling up close to the kerb when you could safely negotiate the turn.
Most drivers just don't understand how hard-won a cyclist's momentum can be when all they have to do is press a little pedal!!!

Attempted to cover this in my tips... :wink: I agree - really no need but have to say I observed a tanker driver displaying exemplary driving skills today. He kept his distance behind the cyclist who in turn showed his appreciation by using the lay-by when he reached it, continued his cadence and allowed the overtakes :clap:

:scratchchin: Could have been you :? ?

But whoever he was - shining example of an expert cyclist :bow: Follow his lead. :bow:

Quote:
Then there's overtaking on a fast road with traffic approaching from the opposite direction. Slow down a bit - no chance - "but I mustn't impede the other driver so I'll keep inside the white line" :)
When this happens you have to ride over the drain/ into the pothole - swerving could be fatal. :x I've got a mirror so I'm better off than most cyclists in this respect.

Nick - you are so sensible and I also use a mirror :wink: But I do concur - please, please be aware of other road users and apply COAST -especially S and T in this example :wink:

Quote:
Also (rarely) drivers who drive into puddles when you're passing the other way or expect you to ride into puddles so that they can overtake a bit sooner.

Waterprroofs can be a "godsend" :yesyes:

Quote:
Farmer Giles who drops sh.. you-know-what all over the road so that the grit gets over your wheels and in your brakes.

I could go on and on...... until I run out of puff.

Ah - think I also covered it somewhere? :?

If not - apologies - have some tips to deal with it. Let me know - I'll give some advice to help - which I find useful :wink: when I ride out into the countryside .

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.