Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 18:16 

I was recently chased by a national trust worker for erroding the hill side. I was cycling up a very steep hill at about 2.5mph and was accused of eroding the hill.

Now if i'd been coming down at 30 candence braking I'd have been inclined to agree with him. but other than flattennig the grass my 2.5mph progress made no visible damage that I could see. However there was clear evidence of landrover tracks - probably belonging to the trust. secondly I was on a right of way and perfectly entitled to be there.

I've come to the conclusion that the purpose of the national trust is to fence off common land and charge a fortune for parking, and preserve the countryside to the exclusion of anyone else. I also don't particularly like the attitude of 'pro ramblers' who also think they are the only people allowed to enjoy the countryside.

Is this just human nature?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 19:16 
Friend of Safe Speed
Friend of Safe Speed

diy wrote:
I also don't particularly like the attitude of 'pro ramblers' who also think they are the only people allowed to enjoy the countryside.

Is this just human nature?

Careful you could start a walkers vs cyclists war - is there a "ramblers+" forum ;)

I suspect that if everyone did cycle around like you there would be no problem (I certainly can't see a problem - it sounds like a nice thing to do) - but perhaps they have had problems with more "vigorous" activity? I do agree they are overprotective nowdays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 19:25 
User

Don't worry, the bobble hatted, tweed wearing, hob-nail booted, tree hugging 'pocket Hitlers' just love to hate off-road cyclists!

As my old stomping/training ground was only a couple of miles outside the city, we (the cycling team) would regularly train on private hillsides & abandoned quarry sites with FULL permission from the land owners. This wouldn't stop walkers deliberately blocking the paths or 'telling us off' for eroding the paths...that THEY or the owners 7.5T ex-army truck eroded into existence anyway! We NEVER skidded intentionally as it is seen by most cross-country MTBers as 'bad form', even the downhill guys are sensible in their own way - braking loses you speed apparently.

Years ago a study was done in a sensible bike mag. that the average walker going uphill in an average pair of boots will do FAR more damage than the same average MTBer. Down hills, without braking severely, the biker contributes virtually nothing to erosion. Only extreme braking ie. locking up causes significant damage...lots of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 21:34 
User

I hate Camping and Caravan Club sites. I'm sick and tired of being told by some jumped up pixie bloke that 'you're not allowed to cycle on the grass'. I always make the same reply, '..but I can drive on it, and people can park caravans on it, .....but I can't cycle on it. I can see the sense there mate.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 00:59 
User

Ooh - and Poor old Jeremy go into a load of bother over the 4x4 on the mountain side. :roll: Hang on - that was Monbiot who had a right go at him on Radio Two. :roll:

Slap hands - think of the grass - IG....! Grass has feelings too! :wink:

In fairness though to the NT bloke - could be there were some wild orchids or rare wild flowers he wished to protect. (or some rare insect nest or something...)

Though as the Mad Cats will probably point out - heavy walking boots can do as much damage....guess it boils down to being careful and vigilant where you walk and cycle in this case. :wink:

PS :welcome: Ru88ell. :hello:

I have some cycling tips on rural riding and am just looking through them to post up from my notes from the courses of my past.

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.