Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 14:32 
User

So – this very thorough and solid local newspaper investigated and asked two cycling reporters to write up their experiences. :wink:

Quote:

Cycling in the City - MEN Reporter Sarah Hartley

Fresh air, exercise speedy thrill of the open road? No – your average city cyclist is more than likely to be caught in a fume filled adrenalin rush, avoiding the drivers who turn into your path and avoiding pedestrians who just seem to leap out in front of you!

(Ah! :yesyes:… they do it to us… GREEN CROSS!)

Quote:
To all onlookers the city centre appears to by cycle friendly. As a driver it seems to me that they everywhere with these little blue circles showing routes to every major location in Manchester.

So what are the cyclists moaning about? :? Perhaps they are all – each and every one of the militant eco-warriors who want to take over our roads. :x

But as soon as I decided to leave my beloved motor at home and embrace the city life by taking two wheels for work and leisure – it became obvious that appearances are deceptive. :?

Oh yes – there were the cycle paths, which started with gusto and enthusiasm… and then filter to nothing. :roll: Then there are the cycle lanes shared with bus lanes. Well – hardly the right kind to share a bed! :roll:

Cycling next to these fume belching buses :x and negotiating them pulling up at the stops and then just pulling out again without even looking out for their lane sharing cyclists was a hair raising experience. :yikes:

Then… the pedestrians :banghead: – they just wander out into the cycle lanes and the road in front of bikes, buses and cars alike. Invariably talking on their mobile phone and unable to hear the approaching bell or even the toot of the traffic horns. The walkers do appear to have a death wish here. Many times :hissyfit: I’ve considered buying a super high volume horn to use as another student totters into the cycle lane and then stops dead in the manner of a rabbit caught in the headlamps of a car as I screech to a halt inches from him.

But it’s not all near misses and fumes :)

Crossing the city itself can be remarkably trouble free – using a network of towpaths. From Piccadilly to Castlefield – the city cyclist does not meet a car or a bus! :cloud9:

And commuting along the main highways which all have cycle lane (some separated from the road) is extremely satisfying and you do feel in this case that

THE CYCLIST IS KING! LONG LIVE THE CYCLIST!

Smilies are contagious
They are just like the flu
We use our smilies on YOU today
Now Good Causes are smiling too!

KEEP SMILING
It makes folk wonder just what you REALLY got up to last night!

Smily to penny.. penny to pound
safespeed prospers-smiles all round! !

But the real message? SMILE.. GO ON ! DO IT! and the world will smile with you!
Enjoy life! You only have the one bite at it.