Safe Speed Forums

The campaign for genuine road safety
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 13:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 22:54 
User

News from the Mags....

CW this week focuses on some "French musts"

Well - have cycled around Samoens and Col de Morzine in the past and it's great for Chamonix and Mont Blanc as well and they also recommend trying out the Megeve Mont Blanc with the Col des Arvis and Col de la Croix Fry (which I have driven along but not cycled and would regard a ride on this as something very challenging and requiring a lot of training to achieve. - 4,000 metre of climb requires some skill and I really do not think I am in that calibre to attempt without building my stamina and skills a lot more.

L'Ours is also on their list (Pyrenees) and yes 0 have cyclled along here in the past with a pal - have cycled Tourmalet and Peyresourde and driven Superbagneres and Hautacam. Again - these are not rides for the "armchair cyclist" and I would say the chilling words of "Fame" where the dancers are told that "this is where you pay in sweat and effort" becomes reality.

So to our cyclists on board and to attract our lurkers -

What are your fave hard rides and what tips do you have to train to do them?

Me? I train at the local gym - using their spin/trainer machines - and I keep a healthy diet of meat and three steamed /roasted/grilled veggies /fruits /yogurt/ salads and other roughage... my only vice being the odd large ballon of "claret", the odd good quality single malt and a quality real ale .....now and then....

(I can discuss the stuff from police training and CW experts and the Mad Cats can do the diet stuff)

I know some of us are not "sporty" but "greeny commuters" but even so - as drivers learn from the developments in motor sport so do we cycling commuters from the exploits of our athletic sporty role models.

Also to develop our "community spirit" let's share some good rides and tourist tips - which perhaps double as walks and drives :wink: ).. I did try with one near me and I posted one Kriss described around her home turf...

A SMILE is a curve that sets everything straight (P Diller).

A Smiley Per post
FINES USfor our COAST!

Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon - but driving with a smile and a COAST calm mind.